Steve

Default Registered Boats: Top 20 states as of 2001

Interesting. Now, ranking per capita:

1 (4) Minnesota (5.96)
2 (6) Wisconsin (9.31)
3 (16) Mississippi (9.45)
4 (9) South Carolina (10.5)
5 (15) Louisiana (13.85)
6 (13) Missouri (16.68)
7 (17) Alabama (16.97)
8 (3) Florida (17.70)
9 (19) Tennessee (22.17)
10 (18) Washington (22.64)
11 (12) North Carolina (22.77)
12 (14) Georgia (25.03)
13 (8) Ohio (27.38)
14 (20) Virginia (29.43)
15 (5) Texas (33.56)
16 (10) Illinois (33.60)
17 (11) Pennsylvania (34.12)
18 (2) California (35.38)
19 (7) New York (36.06)
20 (1) Michigan (98.45)

Parenthesis is original ranking.

Note: Other states may qualify for this list based or per capita
ranking.

About 8 years ago, I read that Washington had the highest boats per capita.
No way to verify that now..

However, another critical factor here is the number of boats per 'area' of
recreational water... Here in WA. the boats would be spread pretty thin
even with a high boat per capita ranking..

Also, here in western WA. there seems to be a public launch ramp with in a
few miles of most boaters. This tends to spread out the boat concentration.

Of course small, day use, annoying craft will tend to concentrate in a
couple mile radius of the launch ramps, no matter what part of the country
your in. We should be greatful the these inexperienced and dangerous
operators don't find their way to the quiet back waters. I'm presently
anchored about 500 yard from a public ramp and I see a dozen boats returning
to the ramp well after dark without running lights and some don't even have
a flashlight. Several times I have had to use my spot light to help direct
them to the ramp dock. (ask them "why no running lights?". Big Dah! "donn
know. Something seems to be wrong with them".

--
My opinion and experience. FWIW

Steve
s/v Good Intentions