Capt. Frank Hopkins

Default Mounting outboard on swim platform question

I am considering mounting a small trolling outboard on the swim platform
of my Formula 26. I am thinking the motor should be at least 35 to 35 hp.
For 2 reasons. 1. fuel is getting really expensive, and my 7.4 burns 10
gallons an hour @ 1200 rpm (6-7 kts) and 2. I would like to have back up
power for Mr. Case

Does anyone know of a swim platform mount that will allow me to tilt the
motor up high enough to clear the water and hold a 30 hp motor's thrust?
Any input will be appreciated.

--
Capt. Frank Hopkins

www.home.earthlink.net/~aartworks

Calif Bill

"Capt. Frank Hopkins" wrote in message
ink.net...
I am considering mounting a small trolling outboard on the swim platform
of my Formula 26. I am thinking the motor should be at least 35 to 35 hp.
For 2 reasons. 1. fuel is getting really expensive, and my 7.4 burns 10
gallons an hour @ 1200 rpm (6-7 kts) and 2. I would like to have back up
power for Mr. Case

Does anyone know of a swim platform mount that will allow me to tilt the
motor up high enough to clear the water and hold a 30 hp motor's thrust?
Any input will be appreciated.

--
Capt. Frank Hopkins

www.home.earthlink.net/~aartworks

The motor does not need to be more than 15. The Formula 26 will make a hull
speed of about 8-9 mph. Get a high thrust small O/B. They are designed to
running a displacement hull. My 21' 3200# boat runs about 6.5 mph with a
Yamaha T-8. With a standard 15 HP mariner ran about 5.5 mph.
Bill

Capt. Frank Hopkins

Hi Bill,
A high thrust motor could be the answer.. The Formula is a little heavier,
about 7000 pouinds dry. 8500 full load. (115 gallons of fuel and 40 of fresh
water and 20 gallon holding tank + overfed crew.) Steering could be rigged
somehow. Perhaps just a long tiller extension.
I don't want the outboard dangleing in sal****er when either running or at
dock.

The question remains though, how am I to mount the rascal?
--
Capt. Frank Hopkins

www.home.earthlink.net/~aartworks
"Calif Bill" wrote in message
ink.net...

[...]

JDavis1277

Frank,

I've seen several kickers mounted on swim platforms, but never in the HP range
you mention. I'd think that would be much more weight and structrural stress
than the platform could sucessfully tolerate long term.

The kicker mounts I've seen were FRP and "appeared" to be integral to the swim
platform. I believe all I saw were on I/O powered boats and the platforms were
well above the waterline thus making it fairly easy to tilt the kicker out of
the water.

I agree with Bill that you need to seriously downsize the kicker. Have you
considered a fuel source or will you use a kicker with an integrated tank?
Assume you'll use a pull start? For steering, except in close quarters, you
may be able to maintain enough control by lowering your lower unit just enough
for it to act as a rudder. When on a longer straight course you may be able to
simply raise the lower unit as far as possible.

Would you really be saving any money running a kicker at high speed vs your
main engine at idle or slightly higher? Factor in the cost of a kicker and a
custom mount, the lack of control, and the butt ugly appearance of such a setup
on an otherwise pretty boat and you may no longer feel the idea is very
wonderful.

Butch

Hi Bill,
A high thrust motor could be the answer.. The Formula is a little heavier,
about 7000 pouinds dry. 8500 full load. (115 gallons of fuel and 40 of fresh
water and 20 gallon holding tank + overfed crew.) Steering could be rigged
somehow. Perhaps just a long tiller extension.
I don't want the outboard dangleing in sal****er when either running or at
dock.

The question remains though, how am I to mount the rascal?
--
Capt. Frank Hopkins

www.home.earthlink.net/~aartworks
"Calif Bill" wrote in message
link.net...

[...]

Wayne.B

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 05:06:25 GMT, "Capt. Frank Hopkins"
wrote:
I am considering mounting a small trolling outboard on the swim platform
of my Formula 26. I am thinking the motor should be at least 35 to 35 hp.
For 2 reasons. 1. fuel is getting really expensive, and my 7.4 burns 10
gallons an hour @ 1200 rpm (6-7 kts) and 2. I would like to have back up
power for Mr. Case

Does anyone know of a swim platform mount that will allow me to tilt the
motor up high enough to clear the water and hold a 30 hp motor's thrust?
Any input will be appreciated.

I built something similar for the swim platform of my 24 ft I/O. My
outboard is a 15 hp Merc which is probably enough for your boat also
since you can't exceed 6 kts or so regardless.

I built an L-shaped bracket out of 3/4 inch marine ply, double
laminated with epoxy to a total thickness of 1 1/2 inches. The
vertical portion of the "L" is braced with additional 1 1/2inch
pieces which resemble small transom knees on a wood boat. Attached to
the aft side of the "L" is a commercial outboard mount with retraction
arms and springs which allow the motor to be fully retracted when not
in use. The unit I bought is rated for up to 25 hp and cost about
$120 if my memory is correct.

The "L" shaped mounting piece has a LOT of stress on it when
underway. It should be heavily reinforced with stainless steel
hardware, and through bolted to the swim platform with a good sized
backing block on the under side. The entire mounting bracket could be
made from stainless steel plate if you have welding equipment or a
good local fabricator.

I steer with a commercially available tiller extension which I
believe came from West Marine.

Griss

"Capt. Frank Hopkins" wrote in message
ink.net...
I am considering mounting a small trolling outboard on the swim platform
of my Formula 26. I am thinking the motor should be at least 35 to 35 hp.
For 2 reasons. 1. fuel is getting really expensive, and my 7.4 burns 10
gallons an hour @ 1200 rpm (6-7 kts) and 2. I would like to have back up
power for Mr. Case

Does anyone know of a swim platform mount that will allow me to tilt the
motor up high enough to clear the water and hold a 30 hp motor's thrust?
Any input will be appreciated.

Hey Cap't. Some thoughts and ideas for you:

I once had a kicker bracket on a swim platform - it was just a heavy duty
welded aluminum bracket bolted to the swim platform that simply provided a
vertical surface to clamp the outboard on. I don't know if this was a
standard product, or custom fabricated. Regardless, I have no doubt that
one could be fabricated by your local aluminum shop or boat works to hold a
35 hp engine for very little cost - if there does not exist a marketed brand
(I'm only familiar with transom mounted kicker brackets). The trick would
be to mount it securely on the swim platform. If it wasn't obvious to me,
how to properly bolt it on, I'd rely on a qualified reputable boat works to
help me get it done. Polished aluminum with stainless hardware looks
pretty nice, so I'm thinking you could get something set up that wouldn't
look too much like the Clampetts. You could probably even get it
properly/professionally finished (painted).

Tilt: My bracket was just a stationary piece of metal, but it allowed the
motor to be tilted normally. If that didn't get the motor out of the water
satisfactorily, another alternative would be to mount a jack plate on the
bracket.

Just as a place to look and get some ideas, check out
http://www.panthermarineproducts.com. There's a bunch of other similar
companies on the web if you search for things like "jack plate" "outboard
bracket" "lift bracket" etc.

Controls: I'm a big fan of remote controls for kickers. In my personal
case, it is not convenient, efficient nor comfortable to stand in the back
of the boat and run the kicker, even with an extension handle. I currently
use an "EZ Steer" linkage so I can steer the kicker with the main outboard's
steering control. This unit really works well and I've been very happy with
the unit and service. http://www.ezsteer.com/ They are supposed to also
have fittings to work with outdrives. Other companies make other types of
kicker steering linkages. I have this vague recollection, as I was looking
into the EZ Steer, that there are some companies that make linkages to
inboard/rudder controls?

Fuel: some say it's best to have a second, independent fuel source for the
kicker. In my case, it's much more convenient to have a T valve/ fitting
after the water separating fuel filter to run the kicker off the main fuel
tanks. Frankly, with the set up I have (switchable dual tanks, water and
regular fuel filters, obsessive fuel system maintenance), and the boating I
do, I don't think I need that safeguard and/or redundancy. If your main
power is diesel, of course you'll probably have to have a second fuel
source.

My ideal set up would be : a more or less permanently mounted kicker,
electric start/ remote controls, power trim and tilt and/or power jack
plate, and link it to the main steering so the whole deal could be
controlled from the comfort and convenience of the captain's chair. This
set up is available in surprisingly small outboards (I believe as small as
10 hp), no doubt available in a 35-40 hp.

Just some food for thought.