Capt. Frank Hopkins

Default Mounting outboard on swim platform question

Hi Bill,
A high thrust motor could be the answer.. The Formula is a little heavier,
about 7000 pouinds dry. 8500 full load. (115 gallons of fuel and 40 of fresh
water and 20 gallon holding tank + overfed crew.) Steering could be rigged
somehow. Perhaps just a long tiller extension.
I don't want the outboard dangleing in sal****er when either running or at
dock.

The question remains though, how am I to mount the rascal?
--
Capt. Frank Hopkins

www.home.earthlink.net/~aartworks
"Calif Bill" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Capt. Frank Hopkins" wrote in message
ink.net...
I am considering mounting a small trolling outboard on the swim

platform
of my Formula 26. I am thinking the motor should be at least 35 to 35

hp.
For 2 reasons. 1. fuel is getting really expensive, and my 7.4 burns

10
gallons an hour @ 1200 rpm (6-7 kts) and 2. I would like to have back

up
power for Mr. Case

Does anyone know of a swim platform mount that will allow me to tilt

the
motor up high enough to clear the water and hold a 30 hp motor's

thrust?
Any input will be appreciated.

--
Capt. Frank Hopkins

www.home.earthlink.net/~aartworks

The motor does not need to be more than 15. The Formula 26 will make a

hull
speed of about 8-9 mph. Get a high thrust small O/B. They are designed

running a displacement hull. My 21' 3200# boat runs about 6.5 mph with

Yamaha T-8. With a standard 15 HP mariner ran about 5.5 mph.
Bill