Wayne.B

Default Mounting outboard on swim platform question

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 05:06:25 GMT, "Capt. Frank Hopkins"
wrote:
I am considering mounting a small trolling outboard on the swim platform
of my Formula 26. I am thinking the motor should be at least 35 to 35 hp.
For 2 reasons. 1. fuel is getting really expensive, and my 7.4 burns 10
gallons an hour @ 1200 rpm (6-7 kts) and 2. I would like to have back up
power for Mr. Case

Does anyone know of a swim platform mount that will allow me to tilt the
motor up high enough to clear the water and hold a 30 hp motor's thrust?
Any input will be appreciated.

I built something similar for the swim platform of my 24 ft I/O. My
outboard is a 15 hp Merc which is probably enough for your boat also
since you can't exceed 6 kts or so regardless.

I built an L-shaped bracket out of 3/4 inch marine ply, double
laminated with epoxy to a total thickness of 1 1/2 inches. The
vertical portion of the "L" is braced with additional 1 1/2inch
pieces which resemble small transom knees on a wood boat. Attached to
the aft side of the "L" is a commercial outboard mount with retraction
arms and springs which allow the motor to be fully retracted when not
in use. The unit I bought is rated for up to 25 hp and cost about
$120 if my memory is correct.

The "L" shaped mounting piece has a LOT of stress on it when
underway. It should be heavily reinforced with stainless steel
hardware, and through bolted to the swim platform with a good sized
backing block on the under side. The entire mounting bracket could be
made from stainless steel plate if you have welding equipment or a
good local fabricator.

I steer with a commercially available tiller extension which I
believe came from West Marine.