Griss

Default Mounting outboard on swim platform question

"Capt. Frank Hopkins" wrote in message
ink.net...
I am considering mounting a small trolling outboard on the swim platform
of my Formula 26. I am thinking the motor should be at least 35 to 35 hp.
For 2 reasons. 1. fuel is getting really expensive, and my 7.4 burns 10
gallons an hour @ 1200 rpm (6-7 kts) and 2. I would like to have back up
power for Mr. Case

Does anyone know of a swim platform mount that will allow me to tilt the
motor up high enough to clear the water and hold a 30 hp motor's thrust?
Any input will be appreciated.

Hey Cap't. Some thoughts and ideas for you:

I once had a kicker bracket on a swim platform - it was just a heavy duty
welded aluminum bracket bolted to the swim platform that simply provided a
vertical surface to clamp the outboard on. I don't know if this was a
standard product, or custom fabricated. Regardless, I have no doubt that
one could be fabricated by your local aluminum shop or boat works to hold a
35 hp engine for very little cost - if there does not exist a marketed brand
(I'm only familiar with transom mounted kicker brackets). The trick would
be to mount it securely on the swim platform. If it wasn't obvious to me,
how to properly bolt it on, I'd rely on a qualified reputable boat works to
help me get it done. Polished aluminum with stainless hardware looks
pretty nice, so I'm thinking you could get something set up that wouldn't
look too much like the Clampetts. You could probably even get it
properly/professionally finished (painted).

Tilt: My bracket was just a stationary piece of metal, but it allowed the
motor to be tilted normally. If that didn't get the motor out of the water
satisfactorily, another alternative would be to mount a jack plate on the
bracket.

Just as a place to look and get some ideas, check out
http://www.panthermarineproducts.com. There's a bunch of other similar
companies on the web if you search for things like "jack plate" "outboard
bracket" "lift bracket" etc.

Controls: I'm a big fan of remote controls for kickers. In my personal
case, it is not convenient, efficient nor comfortable to stand in the back
of the boat and run the kicker, even with an extension handle. I currently
use an "EZ Steer" linkage so I can steer the kicker with the main outboard's
steering control. This unit really works well and I've been very happy with
the unit and service. http://www.ezsteer.com/ They are supposed to also
have fittings to work with outdrives. Other companies make other types of
kicker steering linkages. I have this vague recollection, as I was looking
into the EZ Steer, that there are some companies that make linkages to
inboard/rudder controls?

Fuel: some say it's best to have a second, independent fuel source for the
kicker. In my case, it's much more convenient to have a T valve/ fitting
after the water separating fuel filter to run the kicker off the main fuel
tanks. Frankly, with the set up I have (switchable dual tanks, water and
regular fuel filters, obsessive fuel system maintenance), and the boating I
do, I don't think I need that safeguard and/or redundancy. If your main
power is diesel, of course you'll probably have to have a second fuel
source.

My ideal set up would be : a more or less permanently mounted kicker,
electric start/ remote controls, power trim and tilt and/or power jack
plate, and link it to the main steering so the whole deal could be
controlled from the comfort and convenience of the captain's chair. This
set up is available in surprisingly small outboards (I believe as small as
10 hp), no doubt available in a 35-40 hp.

Just some food for thought.