bb

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 23:39:29 -0500, "Dr. Dr. Karen Grear"
wrote:

The book does not dictate a price, but it can be an effective tool while
negotiating.

Exactly. The book, NADA, is a tool for buyers to try and beat down
the price of a boat. That's how they sell the book. If a seller is
foolish enough to think the book is factual information, so be it.
Best thing to do when someone starts spouting NADA prices is politely
suggest they look elsewhere for a vessel.

bb
Dr. Dr. Karen Grear

bb,
If you reject negotiating with a prospective buyer, because you believe they
are trying to get the lowest possible price, you will never sell your boat.

wrote:

The book does not dictate a price, but it can be an effective tool while
negotiating.

Exactly. The book, NADA, is a tool for buyers to try and beat down
the price of a boat. That's how they sell the book. If a seller is
foolish enough to think the book is factual information, so be it.
Best thing to do when someone starts spouting NADA prices is politely
suggest they look elsewhere for a vessel.

bb

bb

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 08:48:51 -0500, "Dr. Dr. Karen Grear"
wrote:

bb,
If you reject negotiating with a prospective buyer, because you believe they
are trying to get the lowest possible price, you will never sell your boat.

Ok, but what does the above statement have to do with anything?

I, as a seller, don't have to take a number printed in a book as fact.
I'm well aware of how to negotiate the price of a vessel. Anybody can
give a boat away.

bb

Dr. Dr. Karen Grear

bb,

If you are aware of how to negotiate, why would you stop negotiations, just
because someone was using NADA prices as part of his negotiations. If you
were a good negotiator, you would immediately show the selling price of
similar boats in your area as your tool to discredit the NADA prices.

A good negotiator would not give anything away, nor would he allow an offer
that he considered unreasonable to stop his negotiations.

wrote:

bb,
If you reject negotiating with a prospective buyer, because you believe
they
are trying to get the lowest possible price, you will never sell your
boat.

Ok, but what does the above statement have to do with anything?

I, as a seller, don't have to take a number printed in a book as fact.
I'm well aware of how to negotiate the price of a vessel. Anybody can
give a boat away.

bb

Wayne.B

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 14:20:01 GMT, bb wrote:

Anybody can
give a boat away.

==========================

Reminds me of an old quote about the banking business:

"Any fool can lend out money, the trick is to get it back with
interest."

Wayne.B

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 13:28:18 -0500, HarryKrause
wrote:

A couple of months ago, in the doldrums of winter, as it were, I got the
idea (which thankfully has passed) that I would like to devote a lot of
spare time to refinishing/rebuilding a classic 28' deep vee fishing
boat. I found five boats that met my specs, all in what I would call
"fair condition. The model is somewhat in demand, but it hasn't been
built in, what, about two decades.

=============================

Bertram 28 by any chance? We went through the same process with
Bertram 31s six years ago before finally settling on a Bertram 33
(because Mrs B like it better). The range of condition and prices for
old Bertram 31s is simply astounding. The 28 is better for cruising
with its bigger cabin space but the 31 is faster and has a larger
cockpit for fishing.

Short Wave Sportfishing

wrote:

A couple of months ago, in the doldrums of winter, as it were, I got the
idea (which thankfully has passed) that I would like to devote a lot of
spare time to refinishing/rebuilding a classic 28' deep vee fishing
boat. I found five boats that met my specs, all in what I would call
"fair condition. The model is somewhat in demand, but it hasn't been
built in, what, about two decades.

=============================

Bertram 28 by any chance? We went through the same process with
Bertram 31s six years ago before finally settling on a Bertram 33
(because Mrs B like it better). The range of condition and prices for
old Bertram 31s is simply astounding. The 28 is better for cruising
with its bigger cabin space but the 31 is faster and has a larger
cockpit for fishing.

I looked at a couple of Bertram 31s last summer - I like them a lot.

Later,

Tom

John H

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 07:57:56 -0500, HKrause wrote:

John H wrote:
On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 06:42:38 -0500, HKrause wrote:

K. Smith wrote:

Just like the brokers!!! so don't go near any of them. The brokers
don't even have a business, no investment, no capitol, nothing, they're
mostly failed used car salesmen & if you don't know what that means then
you deserve what you won't get.

So essentially brokers are one of the few life forms below a
franchised boat dealer & that's almost life on Mars type stuff, however
at least the dealers have a real business, with real overheads, assets,
stock & staff etc, whereas the average slimey broker is just an
unregulated hangeron moron.

Yet another psychotic screed from Karen Smith of Australia, the
self-proclaimed "inventor" of the "Taipan line" of diesel outboards no
one has heard of, and, in fact, no one in the marine industry has heard
of Karen Smith, either.

But she presents a detailed knowledge of marine engines. One which some folks
can only snipe at with their inane comments.

It's your opinion that she presents a "detailed knowledge." Time and
again, her "detailed" knowledge has been shot to shreds by experts with
actual credentials.

Perhaps some people are too easy to convince when they see long, poorly
written posts with a few buzzwords sprinkled in for effect.

When an expert responds to her posts with a different opinion, I enjoy reading
both. *You*, in my opinion, are not an expert. Therefore your snide comments
fall into the 'inane' category.
--
John H

John H

K. Smith wrote:

[...]

Double yawn.

Double 'exactly'.
--
John H

Wayne.B

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 12:53:52 -0500, HKrause
wrote:

There was a sweet 33 with gas engines across from the West Marine store
in Deale...under $90,000, and a really solid hull with no blems.

They are great boats but really need a pair of diesels to get them
going the way you'd like. Weight is over 20,000 lbs compared to about
10,000 for a 31.

Bought a Reinel 26' FamilySailor ASA 290 August 11th 04 02:29 PM
Prices on used boats Skip Gundlach Cruising 15 October 1st 03 09:33 PM
"The SEARCH" redux (long, as usual) Skip Gundlach Cruising 2 September 22nd 03 03:30 PM
British versus American designs. Paul Stivers Touring 11 September 18th 03 12:13 PM