basskisser

Default OT Repubs against Fancy Book Learnin'

Down With Fancy Book Learnin'
What's it mean that the big cities and college towns of America all
voted blue?
By Mark Morford, SF Gate Columnist

Friday, November 12, 2004

Printable Version
Email This Article

Mark Morford
Archives
Subscribe to Notes & Errata
Who is this guy?

Down With Fancy Book Learnin' - What's it mean that the big citi...
11/12/2004
We Are All Dubya's Doormat - News flash for ordinary Repubs and ...
11/10/2004

Hello, Uranus? Got Any Room? - Must. Move. Away. Cannot endure m...
11/05/2004

Wallow In Chaos, And Laugh - A pro-Bush outcome and one enormous...
11/03/2004

Get Out And Vote And Scream - Now that we're all completely frie...
10/29/2004

Is this why everything's so mangled? Is this why we're so divided?
Is this why we're so damned confused and bothered and itchy and
wondering why we are ever at each others' throats and ever snickering
in each others' direction and ever sighing heavily and wishing we
could somehow have a magic glimpse into the year 2104 to see how the
hell we survive it all?

Because there remains this astonishing and yet ever present fact: all
the major cities of America, the great cultural centers and the places
with the most concentrated populations and the most extraordinary
restaurants and the highest percentage of college graduates and the
most progressive laws and the truest sense of the arts and food and
sex and music and dance and money and technology and lubricant and
drugs and porn and love and fashion and spirituality, well, it seems
they all voted blue.

True. From terrorism-ravaged New York to Botox-ravaged Los Angeles,
Chicago to San Francisco, Philly to Portland, Seattle and Miami and
Boston and Minneapolis and Detroit -- blue as the sky, blue as the
Danube, blue as the color of your soul-crushin' wine-slammin'
I-need-a-bath-and-an-emetic postelection melancholy.

And what's so frighteningly cute in a slit-your-karmic-wrists sort of
way about this whole election thing is how astoundingly vicious and
ingrained and apparent the Great American Culture War has become, has
evolved, has mutated and grown and smiled and is right now eating us
alive and belching out a great cloud of regressive, conformist
exhaust.

The stats bear it out. One look at this astounding 3-D map used by CBS
News the day after the election (a.k.a.: "Black Wednesday") and you
can see how the various cities and towns of America voted and you sit
there and go oh my freaking God wouldja look at that, it's not blue
state versus red state after all, but more like blue urban versus red
rural, skyscraper versus church house, Chez Panisse versus Denny's.

That is to say, it's all about population density, cultural hub, all
about the much-touted "redneck revenge" on the "liberal elite" for
unleashing, I suppose, small European cars and artisan cheese and
"Queer Eye" and "The West Wing" on them without their express written
consent. It is, in short, all about Retro vs. Metro.

But wait, it wasn't just the big cities that went blue. It was also
the tiny progressive oases, the small but potent gay-friendly
intellectually curious America college towns -- almost anyplace,
really, that possesses an above-average university -- that are stuck
like glimmering gemstones in a sea of conservativism, that stick out
like sore thumbs, like beacons, like hot blue tongues from the very
mouth of regressive neocon red.

Kansas City and St. Louis and Iowa City, and Athens, Georgia, Austin,
Texas, Raleigh, North Carolina, Buffalo, New York, and Madison,
Wisconsin. All blue. All towns known to be relatively quirky and
progressive and safe and kid friendly and beautiful and all-American
and replete with big universities and mediocre Thai restaurants and
underground music scenes and healthy smatterings of gay culture and
lots of gul-dang book-learnin', and every single one of 'em seems to
be right in line with the big cities in understanding that Bush is
utter poison to anything resembling true juicy spiritual hope or
intellectual progress or really exceptional semidrunken sex.

Is this really still the rule? The bigger and more vibrant and more
vigorous and more culturally dynamic the city, or the more educated
and progressive and literate the small town, the more likely they were
to vote blue, Democrat, progressive, open minded, less fearful? Have
we progressed almost not at all from the days prior to the Civil War,
when the nation was split almost exactly as it is now? Verily, it
would appear not, not so much. In fact, it's only getting worse.

Of course, there are plenty of exceptions, plenty of well-educated
culturally astute people across the land who somehow still voted for
Bush, often against their own interests or deeper conscience and often
for antiquated "fiscally conservative" reasons or because it's just
how they're wired or because they think Dubya's a "good Christian" and
therefore are willing to overlook his mountain of policy failures, or
because they just can't bring themselves, even in the face of
astounding proofs of Bush's incompetence, to vote for the party of
Hillary and Ted Kennedy and Michael Moore.

No, not all city dwellers voted blue. The metropolises are, of course,
teeming with conservatives and lib-haters and homophobes, Republican
CEOs and phallically challenged Hummer owners and decent Christian
folk who don't read the newspaper. And it's also true that liberals
and lesbians, tofu eaters and tree huggers, dot the country's rural
burgs like sparkles on a heifer, like nails in the tire of the great
conservative SUV. The divide is never, despite BushCo's insistence,
that clean cut, or that obvious.

The cultural war has always raged on one level or another, has always
been a part of the blotchy American complexion. But it has never,
until now, penetrated the highest positions of the land. It has never,
until now, become the defining element of our society. It has never,
sadly, dominated our Congress, our houses of law, our White House, our
position in the world.

But there's more to it than that, more to it than the conservative
Right's hatred of same-sex marriage or French restaurants or fancy
book learnin'. What to make of the astounding fact, for example, that
the very places that are most in danger of attack from terrorism --
that is, places like New York, D.C., Los Angeles -- all went
overwhelmingly blue?

Put another way, if terrorism was, for the fear-drunk red states,
indeed the most galvanizing issue this election, why did those places
most susceptible to attack (or, in New York's case, still reeling from
one) vote for Kerry in such astounding numbers? What do they know
that, say, Kentucky doesn't?

Could it be they understand that Bush has, by way of some of the most
irresponsible and violent and disastrous foreign policy in American
history, actually increased the chances of another terrorist attack in
these places? Or that his policies will transform the current
anti-Bush sentiment now raging across Europe into full-blown
anti-Americanism? Or that there is more to the world than swearwords
on prime-time TV or gay men sharing a wedding cake or Janet Jackson's
nipple?

Yes indeed, the Culture War has now penetrated the highest corridors
of power, and the red tide has stormed in, taken control, entrenched
itself, demanded regression and rollbacks and a return to
old-fashioned American values, the ones that demand you read the Bible
and fear foreigners and keep your damn legs closed and your mouth shut
and quit asking so many prickly questions that make the president
blink all confused-like.

Yessir, I guess they showed those goddamn liberals. Guess they showed
those damn college boys who's boss. Guess they showed those of us who
are most at risk of terror attack and most open to change and most
welcoming to the various variations of love and marriage and art and
culture in this country who really owns the big stick.

How very unfortunate, then, that we are all to be beaten with it.
JimH

Give it up already Bassy.

Dr. Dr. Smithers

JimH,
You do realize that this was Harry's favorite method of posting in
rec.boats, it will take basskisser a few months to realize that Harry is no
longer cut and pasting news articles. As soon as he realizes his master has
moved on to new things, Basskisser will move on to whatever Harry is doing.

"JimH" wrote in message
Give it up already Bassy.

P.Fritz

"Dr. Dr. Smithers" wrote in message
JimH,
You do realize that this was Harry's favorite method of posting in
rec.boats, it will take basskisser a few months to realize that Harry is
no longer cut and pasting news articles. As soon as he realizes his
master has moved on to new things, Basskisser will move on to whatever
Harry is doing.

Asslicker is already aping harry's newest tactic.......delving into personal
info on those that don't hold the same narrow minded view.

"JimH" wrote in message
Give it up already Bassy.

Gould 0738

Means the smart folks moved out to the suburbs and what's left voted
Democrat. Not hard to figure out.

John H

Ah yes, Suburbia. Where everybody lives on a dead end street. Suburbanities
endure private "covenants" requiring them to conform to the neighbors, so that
when it is time to paint the cloned house (with the cloned landscaping) any
thought of individual expression is squelched in favor of the "public good."
Suburbia, the fantasy consumption neighborhood where the economy produces
nothing and the SUV is a god. Suburbia is a land of economic imperialism- all
wealth and resources in Suburbia are extracted from some remote area (the city
to which all commute). Suburbia, the primarily lilly white land of cultural
conformity.

It's no wonder you guys in Suburbia vote Republican, the party reflects the
values to which you subscribe in everyday life.

Short Wave Sportfishing

On 12 Nov 2004 07:11:07 -0800, (basskisser) wrote:

~~ snippage ~~

But there's more to it than that, more to it than the conservative
Right's hatred of same-sex marriage

I cut out the rest of this typical bull**** rant just point something
out.

Just this morning I read an article that was a very interesting - it
concerned the whole gay marriage/civil union thing. It would appear
that the gay community itself is in something of a quandary about what
to do. As one gentleman who headed a national group (can't remember
which one) was quoted in the article "There wasn't any choice - it was
a vote on one aspect of the issue with no other considerations".

There was also an interesting comment hidden in the article about
moving too far too fast which is pretty much my viewpoint. And it is
also my view that one can't make a conclusion about "culture
war"without examining the data more closely - it's one hell of a lot
more complicated that who voted for Kerry and Bush. I noticed that in
this rant, the writer didn't mention that Kerry wasn't for gay
marriage either. :) Hmmm - let me amend that - I didn't quite get
through the whole thing because my eyes glazed over - I wasn't sure if
it was an article or a demonstration of how to call people names
without using any.

Anyway, to head off a huge name calling response, I do not believe
that gay marriage is the end of the world as we know it. I would
prefer that the term be reserved for those who can propagate the
species, but that's not completely necessary. I do believe that those
who are part of the gay/lesbian community are entitled to some sort of
civil recognition as in civil unions, but I'm not wedded to it.

Get it - wedded to it? :)

I'm more concerned about activist judges like Maggie Marshall who
should be sent back to Civics 101 and made to repeat 10,000 times
"Rule of the majority - not rule by a Judge".

By the way, I'm confused about something and perhaps one of the more
progressive members of this august body can enlighten me.

A male homosexual is considered gay and a female homosexual a lesbian.
But the homosexual community, male and female, is considered gay.

How come? I'm just a simple red county country bumpkin so use words
of one syllable please.

Later,

Tom
Dr. Dr. Smithers

"Gould 0738" wrote in message
[...]

I don't know what community you live in, but suburbia is no longer lilly
white, you have every ethnic group imaginable in suburbia. People with
families are moving to suburbia, because so many of the inner city schools
suck. What makes you think minorities do not want a safe environment for
their children to learn?

If you visited the school districts in suburbia, you would be surprised how
diverse they are.

JimH

"Gould 0738" wrote in message
[...]

What world do you live in Chuck? In mine people of all economic classes,
all races, all ages and all religions live in suburbia's across the United
States. Suburbia is actually more diverse than most inner city
neighborhoods.