John Gaquin

"basskisser" wrote in message

Down With Fancy Book Learnin'
What's it mean that the big cities and college towns of America all
voted blue?
By Mark Morford, SF Gate Columnist

Friday, November 12, 2004

Perhaps we're getting some indication of why b'ass is the way he is. Lot's
of folk, myself included, read Morford with some regularity. B'ass seems to
take him seriously.

Dr. Dr. Smithers

I can not understand your point. Do you have a problem with people buying
expensive homes or the fact that not everyone can afford expensive homes?
In the under $200,000 home, which is above the national average (I know the
west coast is expensive as hell), you will find a large percent to be owned
by non whites. Do you have a problem with people buying homes based upon
their financial situation or based upon the reputation of the schools? Do
you have a problem with people who move into the suburbs?

As far as your other comment, most communities, apartments, condos and
cities in both the inner city and suburbs will have zoning laws governing
how property can be used. I know if I had a neighbor who did not mow his
law, had turned his front law into a parking lot, had trash all over his
property, I would be upset, and it would not matter what their ethnic
background was. I would contact the local government as see if they were
violating any laws, wouldn't you?

"Gould 0738" wrote in message
If you visited the school districts in suburbia, you would be surprised
how
diverse they are.

Seems that not all that long ago we had an OT post here from a guy who
lives in
Suburbia. As I recall, he was outraged that
"Mexicans" were living in a house in his neighborhood, and he was all but
completely convinced they had to be up to no good in order to afford the
payments. As I recall, the plaintiff went so far as to check property
records
with the county to see whether the property was registered to somebody
with a
Mexican sounding surname.

Ain't as integrated as you think, but it is somewhat. See the word
"primarily"
in my observation. The more expensive, cutting edge suburban neighborhoods
will
present an ethnic reflection of the way wealth is held in the US. Those
"suburban" neighborhoods closer to town, built 25-30 years ago, do seem to
be
slightly more diverse.

Dr. Dr. Smithers

Gould,
One other point about urban areas vs. suburban areas. In most cities the
inner city is becoming gentrified. Young professionals are buying homes in
the city, getting strict zoning and covenants passed so they will have their
investments protected. They are then bidding up the value of the homes so
they can do extensive remolding. Some of those who live in the inner city
feel it is unfair to them, because when the young professionals move in,
they have less affordable homes.

Should we view these young professionals as a blight on the inner city?

"Gould 0738" wrote in message
[...]

Dr. Dr. Smithers

I can not remember your comment, but I know Gould would be very upset if his
boating neighbor left their tools all over the dock or left beer cans
scattered all over the dock and in the water.

Most marinas have very strict rules and enforce them, and most marinas do
not care what your color is, as long as you have the green.

"JohnH" wrote in message
On 12 Nov 2004 18:18:54 GMT, (Gould 0738) wrote:

[...]

Had nothing to do with their country of origin, had to do with their
habits, and the number of people and cars for one house and yard. Get
off your high horse, Chuck, it's not becoming.

John H

On the 'PocoLoco' out of Deale, MD,
on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!

Dr. Dr. Smithers

What in the hell is your point? That neighborhood is not reflective of the
average neighborhood in America. But in most communities you will find very
rich blacks, Hispanics and Asians. Where do you think the rappers, sports
stars, minority businessmen live?

I also bet the average unskilled worker does not live in your neighborhood
or own a boat.

It would appear that you concern is not towards those who have less than
you, but those who have more than you.

"Gould 0738" wrote in message
What world do you live in Chuck? In mine people of all economic classes,
all races, all ages and all religions live in suburbia's across the United
States. Suburbia is actually more diverse than most inner city
neighborhoods.

I recently attended a business function at
a new, golf course community in the Cascade foothills- about 20-25 miles
from
downtown Seattle. This place is brand new. They are going to hold a PGA
tournament there in 2005 or 2006. The houses are all painted various
shades of
beige, all have the same roofing, the same windows, etc. Two or three new
sections are still under construction, and all the $1mm plus houses are
painted
various shades of beige. While I didn't go door to door and do a survey, I
did
see some diversity while I was there... a number of minorities worked for
the
catering company- (but I'll bet you a buck they weren't living in the
immediate
community).

JohnH

On 12 Nov 2004 18:41:43 GMT, (Gould 0738) wrote:

Describe your neighborhoods for us, Chuck. Do you live in downtown
Seattle, where all the factories are producing something?

Or were you just being negative?

I was being half assed facetious, but it seems I struck a nerve mine. :-)

I do live in a neighborhood at the perimeter of downtown Seattle. We have a
large number of neighborhood shops, restaurants, art galleries, a public
library, markets, and other amenities within a ten-minute leisurely walk (yes,
"walk") from our front door. There's a park across the street. I can walk to
the Seattle Center
in about twenty-five minutes, or to the heart of downtown Seattle in about
forty.

There is not a lot of diversity in my neighborhood, either. We've lived here
for many years, but couldn't afford (or wouldn't choose to afford) to buy into
this neighborhood today. There's a limit to what
one should tie up in a non-productive asset such as a house, (or a boat). Like
some of the locations in Suburbia, many urban neighborhoods also present an
ethnic reflection of the way that wealth is distributed in our society.

Difference is, we're smart enough to know that all the "smart people" don't
live in Suburbia, or in "Urbia", either. :-)

Sounds like you live up on the hill. I had no idea you were being
facetious. That's because it is getting very hard to tell the
difference with many of your posts. I guess I'm just getting senile
and unintelligent.

John H

On the 'PocoLoco' out of Deale, MD,
on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!
JimH

"JohnH" wrote in message
[...]

When he is cornered in a discussion his out is typically that he was being
"half assed facetious" or something similar to that.

*Half assed facetious* my ass.

Gould 0738

I can not understand your point.

Because you choose not to consider it with an open mind.

Do you have a problem with people buying
expensive homes or the fact that not everyone can afford expensive homes?

Of course not. I have a problem with people living in expensive homes adopting
a position that they are "smarter" (as in all the smart people moved to the
suburbs).

In the under $200,000 home, which is above the national average (I know the
west coast is expensive as hell), you will find a large percent to be owned
by non whites.

I don't think there have been any liveable homes under $200,000 in this area
for several years now. Fixer uppers are $500k. New homes in the suburbs are
usually in the 7-figure range if you want something over 2000 sq ft in a posh
neighborhood. Double that for most "gated communities".
In any area of the country, home ownership will reflect the same ethnic
proportions in which wealth itself is held. Those with more wealth tend to live
in nicer homes. Nobody should be awarded a better home than they can afford, or
conversely forced to live below their means
by virtue of race.

A large number of non-whites own homes in most communities across the country.
We're two generations away from one non-white group of super achievers owning
almost everything on the west coast. And more power to anybody willing to work
hard enough to achieve such a goal.

Do you have a problem with people buying homes based upon
their financial situation or based upon the reputation of the schools?

Nope. Merely observed that the contrived, conformist existence in Suburbia is
reflected in the voting tendencies claimed by one of the conservatives here
'bouts.

I do have a problem when the "reputation of the schools" is created by
transferring tax dollars out of inner city neighborhoods and away from inner
city schools to create state-of-the-art education centers for kids attending
more suburban schools in the same county or district.

Do
you have a problem with people who move into the suburbs?

I lived in the suburbs for a few years. Not my thing, thanks anyway. Anybody
who wants to enjoy the traffic jams, the strip malls, the automobile dependent
transportation system, the conformist neighborhoods, the Plastmo-Sign franchise
substitute for culture, etc.....is more than welcome to my space there. No, I
have no problem with those who find the meaning of life in suburbia.

As far as your other comment, most communities, apartments, condos and
cities in both the inner city and suburbs will have zoning laws governing
how property can be used.

Agreed. Most suburban communities have extra-legal covenants that give your
neighbors veto power over the type of vehicle you can ( otherwise legally) park
in your own driveway, the color you can paint your house, the type of
landscaping you can plant on your property, the size and shape of your mailbox,
etc. Much different from "Thou shalt not operate a whore house across the
street from a grade school." One is a matter of public safety and propriety,
the other is an extension of the herd mentality by a committee of neighborhood
busy bodies.