JohnH

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 13:37:22 -0500, thunder
wrote:

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 17:16:07 +0000, Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:

Anyway, to head off a huge name calling response, I do not believe that
gay marriage is the end of the world as we know it. I would prefer that
the term be reserved for those who can propagate the species, but that's
not completely necessary. I do believe that those who are part of the
gay/lesbian community are entitled to some sort of civil recognition as in
civil unions, but I'm not wedded to it.

What I find interesting, the term "gay marriage" makes a difference. Use
the term "civil union" or "domestic partnership" and the issue isn't
nearly as divisive.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...il-union_x.htm

I thought the whole damn thing revolved around the word 'marriage'.
With all this fighting about what to call the 'union' of gays or
lesbians, imagine the fighting that will happen over what we call the
'disunion' of gays and lesbians. They sure as hell better not call it
'divorce' ! That word should be reserved only for a man and a woman.

John H

On the 'PocoLoco' out of Deale, MD,
on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!
thunder

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 19:01:48 +0000, Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:

If the bozo politicians worked at it, I'd bet we can get it done quickly
with no muss or fuss. Just have to keep the judicial fiats out of the
mix.

This state, New Jersey, along with several others, has done it. It was a
blip on the local news when it was done, but since that time I haven't
heard anything about it. It wasn't called "marriage", and to be honest,
I'm not sure what "legalities" go with it.
Short Wave Sportfishing

wrote:

[...]

Not another discussion around the discussion discussing the original
discussion that went off-topic eight discussions ago!!!!!!!

NNNNNNOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.................. ..........

All the best,

Tom
--------------

"What the hell's the deal with this newsgroup...
is there a computer terminal in the day room of
some looney bin somewhere?"

Bilgeman - circa 2004
Dr. Dr. Smithers

No generalization is always correct, but I would think if you gave an IQ
test to those living below the poverty level, and then gave a IQ test to
those living in the top 10% of the US, you would find the average IQ is
substantially higher.

I would also guess if you took those whose income is in the top 25% and
compared their IQ with those living in the bottom 25%, you would see a
dramatic difference.

I do like the way when someone disagrees with you, you generalize that they
do not have an open mind.

As far as your comment about tax dollars being diverted from inner city
schools to those who live in the rich neighborhoods, that has not been
around for 20yrs. The courts will not allow any school district to divert
money from one neighborhood to another. That fact that you think this is
still done, shows that you do live in the past.

As far as your comment about "herd mentality" it would appear that you do
not have an open mind, and just love to paint anyone who is different from
you with a broad brush and you fail to see the obvious. Most cities with
historic districts have more restrictive covenants (especially those in the
strongly democratic states of New England) than any suburb covenants. That
fact that you do not understand such a simple concept says more about your
herd mentality than anything I could say.

PS - I have moved from the suburbs to the city, the difference between you
and me, is I don't like to group anyone with my preconceived ideas. I like
to look at people as individuals.

"Gould 0738" wrote in message
I can not understand your point.

Because you choose not to consider it with an open mind.

Do you have a problem with people buying
expensive homes or the fact that not everyone can afford expensive homes?

Of course not. I have a problem with people living in expensive homes
adopting
a position that they are "smarter" (as in all the smart people moved to
the
suburbs).

In the under $200,000 home, which is above the national average (I know
the
west coast is expensive as hell), you will find a large percent to be
owned
by non whites.

I don't think there have been any liveable homes under $200,000 in this
area
for several years now. Fixer uppers are $500k. New homes in the suburbs
are
usually in the 7-figure range if you want something over 2000 sq ft in a
posh
neighborhood. Double that for most "gated communities".
In any area of the country, home ownership will reflect the same ethnic
proportions in which wealth itself is held. Those with more wealth tend to
live
in nicer homes. Nobody should be awarded a better home than they can
afford, or
conversely forced to live below their means
by virtue of race.

A large number of non-whites own homes in most communities across the
country.
We're two generations away from one non-white group of super achievers
owning
almost everything on the west coast. And more power to anybody willing to
work
hard enough to achieve such a goal.

Do you have a problem with people buying homes based upon
their financial situation or based upon the reputation of the schools?

Nope. Merely observed that the contrived, conformist existence in Suburbia
is
reflected in the voting tendencies claimed by one of the conservatives
here
'bouts.

I do have a problem when the "reputation of the schools" is created by
transferring tax dollars out of inner city neighborhoods and away from
inner
city schools to create state-of-the-art education centers for kids
attending
more suburban schools in the same county or district.

Do
you have a problem with people who move into the suburbs?

I lived in the suburbs for a few years. Not my thing, thanks anyway.
Anybody
who wants to enjoy the traffic jams, the strip malls, the automobile
dependent
transportation system, the conformist neighborhoods, the Plastmo-Sign
franchise
substitute for culture, etc.....is more than welcome to my space there.
No, I
have no problem with those who find the meaning of life in suburbia.

As far as your other comment, most communities, apartments, condos and
cities in both the inner city and suburbs will have zoning laws governing
how property can be used.

Agreed. Most suburban communities have extra-legal covenants that give
your
neighbors veto power over the type of vehicle you can ( otherwise legally)
park
in your own driveway, the color you can paint your house, the type of
landscaping you can plant on your property, the size and shape of your
mailbox,
etc. Much different from "Thou shalt not operate a whore house across the
street from a grade school." One is a matter of public safety and
propriety,
the other is an extension of the herd mentality by a committee of
neighborhood
busy bodies.

basskisser

"P.Fritz" wrote in message ...
"Dr. Dr. Smithers" wrote in message
JimH,
You do realize that this was Harry's favorite method of posting in
rec.boats, it will take basskisser a few months to realize that Harry is
no longer cut and pasting news articles. As soon as he realizes his
master has moved on to new things, Basskisser will move on to whatever
Harry is doing.

Asslicker is already aping harry's newest tactic.......delving into personal
info on those that don't hold the same narrow minded view.

Jeezus! Do you even HAVE enough brain power to post or reply without
childish name calling? Do you?
Now, let's do this, Fritz. Google up YOUR posts, and see just how many
cut and paste jobs YOU have done. Many, many.

basskisser

"Dr. Dr. Smithers" wrote in message news:ML4ld.329980$wV.329077@attbi_s54...
JimH,
You do realize that this was Harry's favorite method of posting in
rec.boats, it will take basskisser a few months to realize that Harry is no
longer cut and pasting news articles. As soon as he realizes his master has
moved on to new things, Basskisser will move on to whatever Harry is doing.

As well as Fritz's, but you seem to condone it from him just fine, huh?

Dr. Dr. Smithers

"basskisser" wrote in message
m...
"Dr. Dr. Smithers" wrote in message
JimH,
You do realize that this was Harry's favorite method of posting in
rec.boats, it will take basskisser a few months to realize that Harry is
no
longer cut and pasting news articles. As soon as he realizes his master
has
moved on to new things, Basskisser will move on to whatever Harry is
doing.

As well as Fritz's, but you seem to condone it from him just fine, huh?

Can you show me one post where I condoned anything Fritz has done?

JohnH

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 20:17:24 GMT, "Dr. Dr. Smithers"
wrote:

[...]

Hey, come on, he was just kidding!

John H

On the 'PocoLoco' out of Deale, MD,
on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!

Dr. Dr. Smithers

If Gould was kidding than all I have to say is ............. " Nevermind!"

Gould does seem to have gotten on a high horse and has a real superiority
complex.
He is one of the most bigoted and close minded person I have meet in
rec.boats. If anyone does not see things his way, he likes to paint them as
evil.