RG

Default E-Techs in the 50-hp range

Anyone know how many Johnson E-Techs are out there and how have they faired
so far?

I'm a week or so away from purchasing a 50 hp and hate the idea of being the
first with new technology.
Any thoughts or comments appreciated.
RichG

Billgran

"RG" wrote in message
Anyone know how many Johnson E-Techs are out there and how have they

faired
so far?

I'm a week or so away from purchasing a 50 hp and hate the idea of being

the
first with new technology.

The E-TEC's are out and running in the warmer climates. The boating media
has tested them for the last several months and reports will be published in
the next few issues. The following is from a person named Tony from
Australia who is getting his propped and set up correctly.

What size and make boat are you hoping to put the E-TEC on? I may be able to
post some performance results on similar rigs.

Bill Grannis
service manager
-------------------------------------

12-9-03

Bill,

My boat is a aluminium hull, Hull is 350 Kilograms plus one cranking
battery,2 troll motor batteries,troll motor and all the normal fishing gear.
Then the 138 Kilo's of the 75 E-tec.

You could call my hull a V-flared hull as it is ,very popular in Australia.
Glass hulls are just starting to make a entry into our market but very
slowly.
Any info you have would be interesting to read.
Thanks for your help.

12-18-03

Today was it's maiden run, Beautiful day smooth water with just a little
breeze.

First thing I noticed was how dam quite the motor's idle and run. I could
not hear the motor from the bow of the boat when I was pushing off.

First prop was a 15" stainless not sure what type this was the boatyard
owner just wanted to see how it went. Out of the hole the 15" was Very Very
quick . Straight up to full noise saw the tacho at 5500rpm and about 40 Mph.
Now ALL of these speeds are on the motor speedo as my Eagle Gps would not
work. working all through the rev range was responsive and towy. Hard
turning at all speeds saw no slip or cavitation. And looking over the
transom and from other observations the motor needs to be lifted up another
hole. This will come on Monday's test run which we will have a GPS.

PROP 2-- SST 17" hole shot was still very good, Rpm's dropped by 200 and
speed increased by only about 1~2 Mph.But had to wind it out.
The Motor sounded like and to me,wanted to rev harder ,turning hard was very
good and again no slippage or cavitation.
Next test with the motor higher will give us more revs and better be able to
feel its true potential.
As told from this site the SST 17" will be the prop for me I think.

Took a 18" RAKER along to see what would happen, Well to no surprise it was
the worst out of the hole,went down to 4900~5000 Rpm, But this one you had
to wind right out and speed increased to floating between 46~47 Mph. With
more revs this prop would get you moving along quick but just to long to get
there. With the vented holes in the prop it would cavitate a little and slip
on hard turns and then bite in again. But after winding it out it was sweet
.. We just wanted to try it and have fun anyway.

Took the cowl off and very little oil had been used after nearly 2 hours of
use. No we don't have the Special oil in Australia as yet . So far this
motor is fantastic, quite through all rev ranges and I had a four stroke
before this motor. starting was instantaneous ,No smoke what so ever idled
ever so smoothly, I am E-tec cited. :-)

My next run will be with the motor lifted and do believe this will make a
hell of a difference to the performance. So stayed tuned.
Thanks for the help .

--------------------
Tony

Billgran

"RG" wrote in message
Anyone know how many Johnson E-Techs are out there and how have they

faired
so far?

Damn! I hadn't had my morning coffee yet and missed the "Johnson" in the
post entirely. The E-TEC's are Evinrudes, the Johnson line consists of
4-strokes up to 225hp and traditional 2-strokes up to 175hp.

Bill Grannis
service manager.

RG

re Johnson/Evinrude...no matter to me, I still see them as one company but I
do understand the internal differentiation.

The boat hull, alas, is STILL at the manufacturer. It is a 1989 hull and NO
ONE seems to have any statistics .. i.e. weight, etc.. I contacted the
manufacturer ( www.elpescadorboats.com ) but he recently bought the company,
and apparently no records were handy going back to when they stopped making
( 1990 ) this small sized tunnel hull boat.

I recently bought the hull because, ten or so years ago, I owned one of them
and loved its ride. That boat was equipped with a 55 h.p. Suzuki, and was
squatty in the rear end at rest, but needed no help getting up on plane and
running well across any water I pointed her.

The hull shape has a high bow, clean wave-cutting shapes, and then slides
off into a flat rear end with a tunnel cut in. Deep water if needed (
really, just might need it for a wind blown bay, rather than deep water) and
skinny water with the tunnel. It is a well regarded boat here on the Texas
flats.

I'll weigh the boat/trailer combination when they get done fixing a few
stress cracks in the hull. I'll subtract the weight of the trailer and I'll
have a pretty good weight / sans /engine to start with. The only dealer that
I found that knew anything about the smaller ElPescadors said a 50 hp was
what most of them ran back in the late 80's. Please take a look at the site
to see the hull shape, and tell me what you think. I much prefer small,
rather than large, engines for my use, which includes a lot of trailering 70
miles one way to go catch ( or try to ) a fish.

regards ( and I really do appreciate the help and input on this group).

RichG

Clams Canino

ya...... Jonnyrude Inc hehe

-W (a Mercoholic)

"RG" wrote in message
news
re Johnson/Evinrude...no matter to me, I still see them as one company

John from Illinois

Rich,

Having spoken with the factory service reps a number of times, they tell me
all the E-TEC motors are performing really well. I was told the only
significant item was shipping damage between the factory and their dealers.

I've also had the opportunity to drive a couple of boats with 50 hp E-TEC
installed. Three of us went for about a 10 mile test ride at a meeting.
It's astounding how quiet they are, we only had to raise our voices to talk
over the wind noise at full throttle! I also have some performance data on
a 40 hp E-TEC on a Carolina Skiff 20mpg @ 1000 rpm and 8.1 mpg @ 4500 rpm
cruise speed - I'm rather impressed with the fuel economy.

Best of luck with your new motor, please inform us how you like it once
you've had a chance to run it.

-John

"RG" wrote in message
Anyone know how many Johnson E-Techs are out there and how have they

faired
so far?

I'm a week or so away from purchasing a 50 hp and hate the idea of being

the
first with new technology.
Any thoughts or comments appreciated.
RichG

Billgran

RG" wrote in message

I'm a week or so away from purchasing a 50 hp and hate the idea of being

the
first with new technology.
Any thoughts or comments appreciated.
RichG

Check with your dealer as there is a 7 year extended warranty or a $4 per hp
rebate promotion on new Evinrude & Johnson motors 40hp and up. It is only
at participating dealers, so it would be good to check out.

What is the length of the boat that you have?

Bill Grannis
service manager

K Smith

RG wrote:
Anyone know how many Johnson E-Techs are out there and how have they faired
so far?

I'm a week or so away from purchasing a 50 hp and hate the idea of being the
first with new technology.
Any thoughts or comments appreciated.
RichG

Don't under any circumstances buy one!! They're experimental at
best & just another EX OMC consumer ripoff at worst.

They are a "modified" ficht, they have in no manner dealt with the
root cause of the ficht failures (lean mixtures on poorly atomised low
pressure injection) & there are good reasons to think they too will fail
at a way too high rate. You could be one of the lucky ones but ...

Don't ever expect those that sell them to tell you anything but
rosy stories about them, gee Bill a Florida dealer was telling this NG
he'd never even seen a failed Ficht at the height of the Ficht debacle!!!

As for the claimed warranties there's the proof positive that
they're suspect.

just another view:-)

basskisser

K Smith wrote in message news:bs68ps$9pr42$1@ID-
Don't under any circumstances buy one!! They're experimental at
best & just another EX OMC consumer ripoff at worst.

They are a "modified" ficht, they have in no manner dealt with the
root cause of the ficht failures (lean mixtures on poorly atomised low
pressure injection) & there are good reasons to think they too will fail
at a way too high rate. You could be one of the lucky ones but ...

Don't ever expect those that sell them to tell you anything but
rosy stories about them, gee Bill a Florida dealer was telling this NG
he'd never even seen a failed Ficht at the height of the Ficht debacle!!!

As for the claimed warranties there's the proof positive that
they're suspect.

just another view:-)

Please provide any data that backs up any of your wild allegations. If
they are "experimental at best", how are the public getting their
hands on them? Do you have any substantial evidence that they are,
indeed, "modified ficht"? What IS the failure rate you speak of,
exactly?
Because they give a decent warranty for once, they must immediately be
"suspect"?
John from Illinois

K. Smith, I have similar questions: I realize I'm a relatively new to
posting in this forum, but could you enlighten me/us as to how you know:

1. "They are a "modified" ficht,"

2. "they have in no manner dealt with the root cause of the ficht failures
(lean mixtures on poorly atomised low pressure injection)"

and for that matter:

3. What is your definition of (or what do you consider) "low pressure
injection"?

4. Could you please tell us what the injection pressure of E-TEC are?

John

safe RPM range scottht General 4 October 23rd 03 03:14 AM
Amp Gauge - Can it's range be modified Gary Warner General 13 September 27th 03 04:02 PM