Clams Canino

Default E-Techs in the 50-hp range

The objective data says:

High performance outboarding was, is, and ever shall be, dominated by
Mercury.

-W

"del cecchi" wrote in message

I am unaware of any comprehensive objective data available to the public
on the reliability and quality of various models and vintages of OMC
products. This is also true for Mercury, Yamaha, and all other brands.

Jim and Becky

My only question is how, how, how could you but and OMC product over a
Yamaha or Mercury product in this environment?
Maybe in 2 years you'll want to sell your current boat...

basskisser

"Jim and Becky" wrote in message et...
My only question is how, how, how could you but and OMC product over a
Yamaha or Mercury product in this environment?
Maybe in 2 years you'll want to sell your current boat...

Very easily. First of all, Bombadier has been in the business a VERY
long time, with a long list of highly regarded equipment. Aircraft,
for one.
Also, there are millions of very nice running, no problems kind of
OMC's out there. I have one that is a 1974, 135 hp, and runs
fantastic, as it always has. How long has Yamaha been in the outboard
motor game? Answer, not NEAR as long as OMC. Mercury? There a decent
motor, just like OMC is. Yamaha? good motors, again, but very painful
to buy parts for.
John from Illinois

Just MHO here, but in terms of resale value, buying and selling a boat isn't
any different than buying or selling a car. As soon as you pull off the
dealers lot, the equipments value begins to plummet. As technologies
advance in leaps and bounds it seems units only a few years old are already
obsolete. The used boat market appears to be flooded with "over-priced"
boats and motors. The only way to make them move is to drop the price.

Now regarding "OMC products", while there certainly are millions of units
still out there, there is no longer an OMC - they're history. The outboard
assets of OMC were puchased out of bankruptcy by Bombardier, who recently,
due to the slumping airline industry sold off the entire (and very
profitable) Recreational Products division, which not only includes Evinrude
& Johnson, but also Sea-Doo, Ski-Doo, Bombardier ATV and Sport Boats. (just
a slight clarification del). BTW, del brought up some excellent points, we
will all see where it goes in the next few years.

I am still compelled though to point out, it doesn't matter which product
brand you purchase, they all have their issues. For example on the fishing
tournament circuits here in the U.S., it seems that Mercury can't keep
Opti-Max's from swallowing reed valves, Evinrude has a recall for a fuel
rail and Yamaha appears to have an oiling issue with their HPDI causing
cylinder failures. The 4-strokes also have their issues with corossion and
stuck throttle bodies, which also required a safety recall. I saw a recall
or a bulletin for Honda's last year, something about a problem with the
engine block as I recall.

The Evinrudes have a 3-year non-declining warranty, the Yamaha's a 3-year
pro-rated warranty and I'm not sure what Mercury is offering at the moment
and I believe Suzuki's warranty is also pro-rated.

As with anything these days, it's always buyer-beware.

-John

"Jim and Becky" wrote in message
t...
My only question is how, how, how could you but and OMC product over a
Yamaha or Mercury product in this environment?
Maybe in 2 years you'll want to sell your current boat...

Harry Krause

John from Illinois wrote:

I am still compelled though to point out, it doesn't matter which product
brand you purchase, they all have their issues. For example on the fishing
tournament circuits here in the U.S., it seems that Mercury can't keep
Opti-Max's from swallowing reed valves, Evinrude has a recall for a fuel
rail and Yamaha appears to have an oiling issue with their HPDI causing
cylinder failures. The 4-strokes also have their issues with corossion and
stuck throttle bodies, which also required a safety recall. I saw a recall
or a bulletin for Honda's last year, something about a problem with the
engine block as I recall.

My 2003 Yamaha F225 was just winterized, and I happened to see the
plastic bag full of little plastic parts that were part of the sticking
throttle recall. About 50 cents worth of parts, maybe.

While the mechanic had the hood off, I looked very carefully for signs
of any sort of corrosion that might be visible. Nothing. The hood does
fit tightly. I've had no issues with this engine in its first season.

I agree with your point that virtually *every* manufacturers' line of
new, high-tech engines, whether two cycle or four cycle, has had
birthing issues. We have lots of very active fishermen where we are, and
I see manynew Yamahas, Mercs, Evinrudes, fewer Hondas and some Suzukis
in the higher horsepower ranges. Mercs and Yamahas lead in sales.
Honda's problem is that it doesn't seem to have many packaging
relationships with boat manufacturers, so its market penetration up here
on Chesapeake Bay seems small. The few large (225 hp) Hondas I have seen
around seem to operate just fine.

--
Email sent to is never read.

safe RPM range scottht General 4 October 23rd 03 03:14 AM
Amp Gauge - Can it's range be modified Gary Warner General 13 September 27th 03 04:02 PM