Billgran

Default E-Techs in the 50-hp range

"John from Illinois" wrote in message
ink.net...
K. Smith, I have similar questions: I realize I'm a relatively new to
posting in this forum, but could you enlighten me/us as to how you know:

1. "They are a "modified" ficht,"

2. "they have in no manner dealt with the root cause of the ficht failures
(lean mixtures on poorly atomised low pressure injection)"

and for that matter:

3. What is your definition of (or what do you consider) "low pressure
injection"?

4. Could you please tell us what the injection pressure of E-TEC are?

John

John from Illinois,

Your first questions to Karen should be what her qualifications are, how
many FICHT's she has worked on, why she gets information from her "blokes"
but does not believe the factory, why she thinks FICHTs (later than 2000)
have problems, and how she knows anything about warranty numbers..

Most of the readers ignore her ramblings and rantings and ravings. You will
probably get 4 or 5 pages of cut and paste stuff from the last five years
that do not make any sense.

Bill Grannis
service manager

Harry Krause

Billgran wrote:

[...]

I think Karen made the most revealing comments about herself recently
when she actually responded to questions about the diesel outboard motor
she imagines she manufactures.

We've been hearing about this damned motor from her for years. The only
photo I've ever seen of what she claims to be her diesel outboard shows
what looks like a clapped-out old Homelite outboard top end welded to a
jerry-rigged lower unit that looks as if it were made in a seventh-grade
shop class.

According to Karen herself:

1. She has no factory to manufacture these outboards.

2. She has no product literature about these outboards

3. She has been "manufacturing them" for several years, but has no
production numbers to offer

4. She has no distributors buying carloads of these engines

5. She has no dealers buying from distributors or even direct from the
factory. In fact, she is clueless about modern methods of distribution
and sales.

6. She has no significant news or magazine clippings to share that
indicate the outboard is in manufacture

Further

7. No one at either of the two well-known commercial enterprises in
Australia who handled diesel outboards (one imports Yanmars and the
other modifies Yanmars for the military) has ever heard of Karen
Elizabeth Smith or her "Taipan" brand of diesel outboard

8. The name she chose for her imaginary line of diesel outboards,
"Taipan," is in use by a manufacturer of tiny diesel model airplane engines

9. She is unwilling to supply a list of names of those who have
purchased one of these diesel outboards

10. She has no way of offering warranty service on these diesel
outboards if she ever does make and sell any.

Draw your own conclusions.

--
Email sent to is never read.
FishFan

John,

I'm no fan of Karen and as a Johnson owner and DFI fan considering
purchasing a new motor I've challenged her here to provide the kind of
backup info Bill and others have demanded... to no avail. However,
what I have decided is that right or wrong there's a sizable number of
people who are leery J/E in general and of Ficht/E-Tec in particular.
More importantly a portion of those would never buy one, new or used.
If you never plan to sell your boat, and you trust Bombardier and/or
the new owners then by all means who gives a sh*t about anyone else's
opinion. But if you ever plan to sell, you will cutting out a portion
of potential buyers and probaly will get a lower price if there's a
J/E on the back, and even more if its Ficht/E-tec.

Sorry Bill - I just call'em as I see'em, and selling a boat is a pain
enough w/o the added burden of a big 'ol question mark hangin on the
transom.

Even though I could probably save a few grand going w/ an E-tec (a
year ago my local J/E dealer qoted me a "deal" at $14,700 for a 225
that now I see on sale for $9950 plus gimmicks), I've decided to
re-power w/a Yamaha HPDI instead... unless I change my mind and decide
to squeak another year out of my carbuerated Johnson smoke machine...

FishFan
Boatriggr

RG wrote:
Anyone know how many Johnson E-Techs are out there and how have they faired
so far?

I'm a week or so away from purchasing a 50 hp and hate the idea of being

the
first with new technology.
Any thoughts or comments appreciated.
RichG

Don't under any circumstances buy one!! They're experimental at
best & just another EX OMC consumer ripoff at worst.

They are a "modified" ficht, they have in no manner dealt with the
root cause of the ficht failures (lean mixtures on poorly atomised low
pressure injection) & there are good reasons to think they too will fail
at a way too high rate. You could be one of the lucky ones but ...

Don't ever expect those that sell them to tell you anything but
rosy stories about them, gee Bill a Florida dealer was telling this NG
he'd never even seen a failed Ficht at the height of the Ficht debacle!!!

As for the claimed warranties there's the proof positive that
they're suspect.

just another view:-)

Karen,

Your view stinks.While I normally just lurk, I can't stand your attitude to
reputable posters.
Why don't you offer a solution rather than the long boring posts spruiking your
biased opinion? And why don't you and your blokes build a better motor? By
reading your posts you certainly pretend to have the knowledge!
I saw the diesel outboard contraption you have been spruiking for years.If
that's a better motor than the ficht or e tech why don't your blokes bring it
to market?

I am not an OMC fan. In fact I worked for the competition for a long time. BUT
I hope they succeed. Their new products are doing well. I wonder how many you
personally have seen or worked on?

I am certain OMC would love to have you on board to solve all of their
problems. You can become a famous for turning around a wonderful company with a
great heritage.Now that would be something to be proud of.
Instead you spend your days in the newsgroup insulting nice people with your
spruiking instead of offering a solution. Do us all a favor and put you and
your blokes enormous knowledge to do some good instead of being so negative.

Thank you, Happy Holidays.
BR
del cecchi

"Boatriggr" wrote in message

[...]

As a man of science and a neutral mercury owner, let me try to summarize
the background.

OMC was a large and well respected manufacturer of Outboard motors
(don't laugh clams) with stockholders and many long time employees.
Long about the time the EPA put emission limits on outboards they came
out with a line of outboards based on FICHT technology which they
purchased, along with the company, from its german inventors. FICHT was
based on a solenoid forcing gas through an orifice directly into the
cylinder.

At about the same time, 1998 model year, OMC had quality and reliability
problems, especially with the 150 hp Ficht motors. These and other
problems culminated with OMC filing bankruptcy and liquidating, with the
assets being purchased by Bombardier. During this difficult time OMC
and the boating press and allegedly some of the dealer related folks on
rec.boats were less than forthcoming about the scope and cause of the
problems. Several rounds of fixes were rolled out to the field, and
modifications were made to following years' models.

Now Bombardier is selling the line of motors and once again the public
is being told that the problems are in the past and the motors are
reliable. And there is this new or modified technology that is even
better. The press is writing glowing articles.

I am unaware of any comprehensive objective data available to the public
on the reliability and quality of various models and vintages of OMC
products. This is also true for Mercury, Yamaha, and all other brands.

Karen has a personal distaste for the dealer system, and in addition
believes that there is a fundamental problem which prevents an emissions
clean two stroke from being reliable. She says this is due to the high
heat produced by lean operation leading to detonation on throttle up.

The OMC employees, customers, and stockholders paid a high price for the
mismanagement and problems of the past. One cannot help feeling sorrow
for their experience. Who has the story right shall be revealed in the
next few years.

As an individual with no data except a past mea culpa from OMC
management, it is impossible for me to know what the truth is. I guess
you pays your money and you takes your chances.

del cecchi

Rich Stern

As a man of science and a neutral mercury owner, let me try to summarize
the background.

(snip)

Del, that was nicely stated.

My biggest concern is that Bombardier has the marine engine portion of their
business on the selling block. This is the same business they bought just
three years ago out of OMC's bankruptcy, and the same business they advertised
as one they are investing in, in order to reassure potential customers.
Remember the Bombardier ads where the newly acquired motors all had to "pass an
audition."

So, here we are, just a short while later, and the company has a line of new
DFI motors. They are advertising that the the injector technology is different
and improved, and the metalurgy is different and improved, to withstand higher
temps. Frankly, that advertising claim gives credence to some of Karen's
long-argued points about Ficht. While Bomb and it's interested parties have
been telling us Ficht has been fine for a couple of years now, Bomb saw fit to
reengineer the engines in ways that specifically support Karen's past arguments
about inherent design flaws.

Hmmm. Maybe we need to give Karen some credit for sticking to her guns despite
enormous abuse by many here.

Also, when a company is selling off a division, it's not unusual for the
employees in that division to spend time worrying about what their future
holds, instead of thinking about quality control, engineering, production, etc.
That behavior, while natural and understandable, doesn't usually result in the
best products on the market.

E-Tec may turn out to be a good product. But, it's very hard to look at the
history and the current circumstances and conclude that it's as safe a purchase
as competing brands.

-- Rich Stern
www.nitroowners.com - The Nitro and Tracker Owners Web Site
www.mypontoon.com - The Pontoon Boat Web Site
www.fishingreportdatabase.com - The Fishing Report Database
www.mysporttrac.com - The Sport Trac Web Site

K Smith

Rich Stern wrote:

Thanks for these posts, Del has always helped with research & unbiased
info; even back in the early ficht days, so I respect his views greatly,
even when we argue:-).

Rich has on well too many occasions tried to be the honest peace broker
within rec.boats & alas I've oft given him a hard time on account of it
so I certainly don't count him as a supporter (he banned me for a
month!!!:-)).

I say it's a measure of how straight a shooter he really is that he can
at least now entertain that our original worries "might" have had some
merit.

We were never "sure" of anything & certainly have no pleasure that OMC
rolled over with all those jobs in tow, however buying the latest
version of the same basic technology is risky.

Thanks to you both & have a special christmas.

[...]

del cecchi

"Rich Stern" wrote in message

As a man of science and a neutral mercury owner, let me try to

summarize
the background.

(snip)

Del, that was nicely stated.

My biggest concern is that Bombardier has the marine engine portion of

their
business on the selling block. This is the same business they bought

just
three years ago out of OMC's bankruptcy, and the same business they

advertised
as one they are investing in, in order to reassure potential

customers.
Remember the Bombardier ads where the newly acquired motors all had to

"pass an
audition."

My understanding is that the sale of the recreational products group
which includes outboards along with snowmobiles and a bunch of other
stuff was a done deal, but that could be incorrect. too lazy to go look
at press releases at bombardier web site I am.

snip
del

Clams Canino

"del cecchi" wrote in message

As a man of science and a *neutral mercury owner*, let me try to summarize
the background.

I was already laughing at the oxymoron. The respected part was just an
after-giggle.

OMC was a large and well respected manufacturer of Outboard motors
(don't laugh clams)

-W

Harry Krause

Clams Canino wrote:

"del cecchi" wrote in message

As a man of science and a *neutral mercury owner*, let me try to summarize
the background.

I was already laughing at the oxymoron. The respected part was just an
after-giggle.

OMC was a large and well respected manufacturer of Outboard motors
(don't laugh clams)

-W

Del's a man of science? Does he have a doctorate in a hard science? Just
curious.

--
Email sent to is never read.

safe RPM range scottht General 4 October 23rd 03 03:14 AM
Amp Gauge - Can it's range be modified Gary Warner General 13 September 27th 03 04:02 PM