Billgran

Default E-Techs in the 50-hp range

"RG" wrote in message
Anyone know how many Johnson E-Techs are out there and how have they

faired
so far?

I'm a week or so away from purchasing a 50 hp and hate the idea of being

the
first with new technology.

The E-TEC's are out and running in the warmer climates. The boating media
has tested them for the last several months and reports will be published in
the next few issues. The following is from a person named Tony from
Australia who is getting his propped and set up correctly.

What size and make boat are you hoping to put the E-TEC on? I may be able to
post some performance results on similar rigs.

Bill Grannis
service manager
-------------------------------------

12-9-03

Bill,

My boat is a aluminium hull, Hull is 350 Kilograms plus one cranking
battery,2 troll motor batteries,troll motor and all the normal fishing gear.
Then the 138 Kilo's of the 75 E-tec.

You could call my hull a V-flared hull as it is ,very popular in Australia.
Glass hulls are just starting to make a entry into our market but very
slowly.
Any info you have would be interesting to read.
Thanks for your help.

12-18-03

Today was it's maiden run, Beautiful day smooth water with just a little
breeze.

First thing I noticed was how dam quite the motor's idle and run. I could
not hear the motor from the bow of the boat when I was pushing off.

First prop was a 15" stainless not sure what type this was the boatyard
owner just wanted to see how it went. Out of the hole the 15" was Very Very
quick . Straight up to full noise saw the tacho at 5500rpm and about 40 Mph.
Now ALL of these speeds are on the motor speedo as my Eagle Gps would not
work. working all through the rev range was responsive and towy. Hard
turning at all speeds saw no slip or cavitation. And looking over the
transom and from other observations the motor needs to be lifted up another
hole. This will come on Monday's test run which we will have a GPS.

PROP 2-- SST 17" hole shot was still very good, Rpm's dropped by 200 and
speed increased by only about 1~2 Mph.But had to wind it out.
The Motor sounded like and to me,wanted to rev harder ,turning hard was very
good and again no slippage or cavitation.
Next test with the motor higher will give us more revs and better be able to
feel its true potential.
As told from this site the SST 17" will be the prop for me I think.

Took a 18" RAKER along to see what would happen, Well to no surprise it was
the worst out of the hole,went down to 4900~5000 Rpm, But this one you had
to wind right out and speed increased to floating between 46~47 Mph. With
more revs this prop would get you moving along quick but just to long to get
there. With the vented holes in the prop it would cavitate a little and slip
on hard turns and then bite in again. But after winding it out it was sweet
.. We just wanted to try it and have fun anyway.

Took the cowl off and very little oil had been used after nearly 2 hours of
use. No we don't have the Special oil in Australia as yet . So far this
motor is fantastic, quite through all rev ranges and I had a four stroke
before this motor. starting was instantaneous ,No smoke what so ever idled
ever so smoothly, I am E-tec cited. :-)

My next run will be with the motor lifted and do believe this will make a
hell of a difference to the performance. So stayed tuned.
Thanks for the help .

Tony