Matt

Default Getting the right price? I/O Repair

I finally got the entire pricing for the repair
to my 94 Chaparral. I needed a new Thermostat Housing $363 (Part number:
90736a24) and Intake Manifold NEW $574 (Part number: 17618t). My local
marina, whom i have used in the past, found me a Used Intake Manifold for
$275. They gave me a total price for the entire job of $1200 and change
that's with the used manifold, with a new one they said approx $1600. Does
this sound right? They had to do a few oil changes to pinpoint
the problem and a few afterwards to make sure that there is no more water in
the oil. Other then that i think that's all. So does the labor and
oil changes sound about right? I think they charge between 75 and 85 per
hour in labor...

Thanks for any info,

-Matt

bowgus

A question ... what happened to the intake manifold? My V6 manifold (3.8
litre, 4bbl) is an '83 ... I had to replace the gasket ... was leaking oil
.... but the manifold is fine.

"Matt" wrote in message
I finally got the entire pricing for the repair
to my 94 Chaparral. I needed a new Thermostat Housing $363 (Part number:
90736a24) and Intake Manifold NEW $574 (Part number: 17618t). My local
marina, whom i have used in the past, found me a Used Intake Manifold for
$275. They gave me a total price for the entire job of $1200 and change
that's with the used manifold, with a new one they said approx $1600.

Does
this sound right? They had to do a few oil changes to pinpoint
the problem and a few afterwards to make sure that there is no more water

in
the oil. Other then that i think that's all. So does the labor and
oil changes sound about right? I think they charge between 75 and 85 per
hour in labor...

Thanks for any info,

-Matt

Matt

Well all i can go on is the mechanics word, he said that the manifold was
rotted through to the housing (i think that's the way), Basically he said
since it was in salt water it's entire life before i bought it he said
that's what happend. I have used them before and the place has come
recommended..

ble.rogers.com...

"Matt" wrote in message
[...]

Jim

Be very careful of using automotive parts, even when they seem to be
interchangeable.
Just as an example, the water pump for a Volvo 225 appears to be the
same as for a Chevy 350, even the number in the casting is the same.
The difference is, since you are running salt water through it, the pump
contains very different parts. Even considering the difference in
price, the Volovo part is the better value (lasts years vs. months).

Without addressing your questions directly, my advice comes from many
years of owning an outdrive and dealing with a variety of mechanics:
Buy quality, proper parts from an authorized parts house, buy a manual
and do ALL the work yourself.

That's my way of "getting the right price".

You will make mistakes, but so will the mechanic you're paying.

Matt wrote:

I finally got the entire pricing for the repair
to my 94 Chaparral. I needed a new Thermostat Housing $363 (Part number:
90736a24) and Intake Manifold NEW $574 (Part number: 17618t). My local
marina, whom i have used in the past, found me a Used Intake Manifold for
$275. They gave me a total price for the entire job of $1200 and change
that's with the used manifold, with a new one they said approx $1600. Does
this sound right? They had to do a few oil changes to pinpoint
the problem and a few afterwards to make sure that there is no more water in
the oil. Other then that i think that's all. So does the labor and
oil changes sound about right? I think they charge between 75 and 85 per
hour in labor...

Thanks for any info,

-Matt

bowgus

Well I don't have my trusty reference with me ... it's in my bottom drawer
at work :-) ... but I did not know there was water flow through an intake
manifold ... exhaust manifold yes ... turbocharger precooling ok ... but an
intake manifold for carburated, injected ?

"WaIIy" wrote in message
On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 09:47:36 -0500, "Matt"
wrote:

Well all i can go on is the mechanics word, he said that the manifold was
rotted through to the housing (i think that's the way), Basically he

said
since it was in salt water it's entire life before i bought it he said
that's what happend. I have used them before and the place has come
recommended..

I guess there's an easy way for you to find out the answer.

bowgus

Well there you go ... "Some intake manifolds have coolant circulated
through them to provide heating. When coolant is circulated through the
intake manifold, it may be referred to as a wet-type intake, whereas a
dry-type intake does not have coolant circulation."

news

wrote:

Well all i can go on is the mechanics word, he said that the manifold

was
rotted through to the housing (i think that's the way), Basically he

said
since it was in salt water it's entire life before i bought it he said
that's what happend. I have used them before and the place has come
recommended..

I guess there's an easy way for you to find out the answer.

Price for Intake Manifold & Thermostat Housing Replacement (MECHANICS PLEASE COMMENT) Matt General 0 December 12th 03 02:54 AM
What's a fair price for an inspection/apprasal and then a two hour training course [email protected] General 2 November 23rd 03 03:08 PM
Outboard Hood Repair Chris Ey General 11 November 3rd 03 06:35 PM
Bow Eye Repair Mike General 8 October 15th 03 01:37 PM
marine engine repair schools? RUTH RUSHING General 3 July 30th 03 12:19 AM