Mike

Default Bow Eye Repair

I have a 73 Starcraft fiberglass boat on which the bow eye was beginning to
pull through. Upon further inspection I found that the wood on the inside of
the hull had disintegrated. I removed the fiberglass covering where the wood
used to be and removed all the wood particles. There is no more wood in the
area.

I intended to repair it by making a new piece of wood approximately the same
dimensions as the old one then fiberglassing over it before attaching the
bow eye.

Do I need to put fiberglass resin, epoxy or sealant between the new wood and
the inside of the hull? Should I fiberglass over the new wood before
bolting the eye on or after? Any other suggestions?

Thanks
Mike

Lawrence James

Epoxy is always better than fiberglass resin. It is a lot less water
permeable but costs more. Epoxy the wood to the hull. Glass over the wood
with cloth and more epoxy. Drill the holes a little big. Coat the inside
of the holes with more epoxy. Use a good bedding compound when you put the
hardware back on, not silicon.

"Mike" wrote in message
[...]

Mike

Last two questions...I think. Would I put the bedding compound just around
where the holes will be on the wood then epoxy it into place on the hull? Is
a treated 2x4 suitable for this repair or do I need a different kind of
wood?

Thanks again.

news

"Mike" wrote in message
[...]

Mike

I figured, for no reason in particular, that wood may absorb shock and
stress better, where a piece of metal may pass that to the hull.

Mike

Subject: Bow Eye Repair
From: "Mike"

I intended to repair it by making a new piece of wood approximately the

same
dimensions as the old one then fiberglassing over it before attaching the
bow eye.

Why not use plate aluminum and never worry about it again?

People sleep peacefully in their beds at night because rough men stand

ready to
do violence on their behalf......George Orwell.

Lawrence James

The bedding compound goes on the outside where the hardware mounts. The bow
eye probably has a single plate with two holes. The bedding compound goes
between that plate and the outside of the hull. I use pressure treated wood
for this sort of thing myself but there are varying opinions on that.

The aluminum backing plate is also a reasonable solution but a little more
effort to fabricate.

"Mike" wrote in message
[...]

Mike

Thanks Lawrence.

"Mike" wrote in message
[...]

The Bush Economy Stinks...and Sinks basskisser General 146 August 11th 03 12:44 PM
marine engine repair schools? RUTH RUSHING General 3 July 30th 03 12:19 AM
To replace or repair... Rpk General 0 July 29th 03 11:01 PM
spark plug damage repair john collins General 0 July 24th 03 09:26 PM
malibu response question J.W. Frank General 26 July 11th 03 02:26 AM