Lawrence James

Default Bow Eye Repair

The bedding compound goes on the outside where the hardware mounts. The bow
eye probably has a single plate with two holes. The bedding compound goes
between that plate and the outside of the hull. I use pressure treated wood
for this sort of thing myself but there are varying opinions on that.

The aluminum backing plate is also a reasonable solution but a little more
effort to fabricate.

"Mike" wrote in message
Last two questions...I think. Would I put the bedding compound just around
where the holes will be on the wood then epoxy it into place on the hull?

Is
a treated 2x4 suitable for this repair or do I need a different kind of
wood?

Thanks again.

"Lawrence James" wrote in message
news
It's a generic term. You can ask for some at the boat store.

"Mike" wrote in message
Is the bedding compound something I can just ask for or is it a

generic
term?

Mike

"Lawrence James" wrote in message
k.net...
Epoxy is always better than fiberglass resin. It is a lot less

water
permeable but costs more. Epoxy the wood to the hull. Glass over

the
wood
with cloth and more epoxy. Drill the holes a little big. Coat the

inside
of the holes with more epoxy. Use a good bedding compound when you

put
the
hardware back on, not silicon.

"Mike" wrote in message
I have a 73 Starcraft fiberglass boat on which the bow eye was

beginning
pull through. Upon further inspection I found that the wood on the
inside
of
the hull had disintegrated. I removed the fiberglass covering

where
the
wood
used to be and removed all the wood particles. There is no more

wood
in
the
area.

I intended to repair it by making a new piece of wood

approximately
the
same
dimensions as the old one then fiberglassing over it before

attaching
the
bow eye.

Do I need to put fiberglass resin, epoxy or sealant between the

new
wood
and
the inside of the hull? Should I fiberglass over the new wood

before
bolting the eye on or after? Any other suggestions?

Thanks
Mike