Mike

Default Bow Eye Repair

Is the bedding compound something I can just ask for or is it a generic
term?

Mike

"Lawrence James" wrote in message
k.net...
Epoxy is always better than fiberglass resin. It is a lot less water
permeable but costs more. Epoxy the wood to the hull. Glass over the

wood
with cloth and more epoxy. Drill the holes a little big. Coat the inside
of the holes with more epoxy. Use a good bedding compound when you put

the
hardware back on, not silicon.

"Mike" wrote in message
I have a 73 Starcraft fiberglass boat on which the bow eye was beginning

pull through. Upon further inspection I found that the wood on the

inside
of
the hull had disintegrated. I removed the fiberglass covering where the

wood
used to be and removed all the wood particles. There is no more wood in

the
area.

I intended to repair it by making a new piece of wood approximately the

same
dimensions as the old one then fiberglassing over it before attaching

the
bow eye.

Do I need to put fiberglass resin, epoxy or sealant between the new wood

and
the inside of the hull? Should I fiberglass over the new wood before
bolting the eye on or after? Any other suggestions?

Thanks
Mike