Chris Ey

Default Outboard Hood Repair

I recently aquired 2 semi deep scratches in the top of the hood on my 40hp
outboard. Any ideas on the best way to go about fixing this? Or should it
be replaced and where could I get a good price on it? The motor is a 2003
tracker model.

Thanks

Chris

basskisser

"Chris Ey" wrote in message .com...
I recently aquired 2 semi deep scratches in the top of the hood on my 40hp
outboard. Any ideas on the best way to go about fixing this? Or should it
be replaced and where could I get a good price on it? The motor is a 2003
tracker model.

Thanks

Chris

scratch filler. It's sold in a tube, looks like bondo only thinner.
You squirt it on, use a putty knife to smooth and remove excess, sand,
prime, paint.
UglyDan®©™

(basskisser) wrote
scratch filler. It's sold in a tube, looks like bondo only thinner. You
squirt it on, use a putty knife to smooth and remove excess, sand,
prime, paint.

Should last all of 5 seconds after it shrinks and falls out, or he could
try epoxy with micro-balloons. even better just live with it.

Alot of the commercial guys I know who buy brand new O/B's take a chain
and whip the crap out of the cowl, then paint it any color they happen
to have, Wanna take a guess why? UD

NOYB

"UglyDan®©T" wrote in message
(basskisser) wrote
scratch filler. It's sold in a tube, looks like bondo only thinner. You
squirt it on, use a putty knife to smooth and remove excess, sand,
prime, paint.

Should last all of 5 seconds after it shrinks and falls out, or he could
try epoxy with micro-balloons. even better just live with it.

Alot of the commercial guys I know who buy brand new O/B's take a chain
and whip the crap out of the cowl, then paint it any color they happen
to have, Wanna take a guess why? UD

Because most of their outboards are stolen?

UglyDan®©™

Well I guess Bondo=AE has its place somewhere in the world, and a
Coleman plastic? camper would be a good start. I'll bet you saw the
little picture of a camper on that tube of Bondo=AE, and said "Thats the
Ticket" , But hey,What ever floats your boat or camper, UD

http://community.webtv.net/capuglyda...inUglyDansJack

basskisser

(UglyDan®©?) wrote in message ...
Well I guess Bondo has its place somewhere in the world, and a
Coleman plastic? camper would be a good start. I'll bet you saw the
little picture of a camper on that tube of Bondo , and said "Thats the
Ticket" , But hey,What ever floats your boat or camper, UD

http://community.webtv.net/capuglyda...inUglyDansJack

I guess you failed to see the point. The stuff is MADE FOR THE EXACT
CONDITION that the original poster has. Next point, if it will work on
a flexing, moving piece of plastic, which is NOT temperature stable,
why wouldn't it work on an outboard motor hood? You have no idea what
you are talking about, I take it. Bondo has many, many products, and
many, many applications. It is good stuff when used for it's intended
purpose. Like a lot of people that don't understand that things are
application specific, you just hear the name, and think it's crap
because you once used it to fill in a 6" diameter rusty hole, with no
prep work, in your car, and it failed.
UglyDan®©™

I had an ex-girlfriend that had to always get the last word in even when
she was wrong.
You remind me of her.

Of course Bondo=AE has many different products and applications, but
that premixed crap they sell in the tube you suggested will crack and
shrink, Just go to any reputable body shop (Maaco don't count) and tell
them you want to fix a 'semi deep scratch" with it, and I promise you'll
get laughed right out of the place. They would suggest "iceing" first,
but alas a rank amateur like you wouldn't know what that means or is.
Sure bondo will work, but it won't last like epoxy, marine tex etcwhich
i've seen shrink/crack too.

When kissing bass you really should stay away from the ones tainted with
mercury.
Its really doing a # on your brain cells.

No bondo in my vehicles or boats, UD

http://community.webtv.net/capuglyda...inUglyDansJack

Chris Ey

Thanks for the info guys. I think repair is the way to go as the scratches
are not really that bad. I have some mercury paint, clear coat and primer.
i just need to get something to fill the scratch. The boat dealer
recomended marine tex. What kind would I buy though? Their website has a
whole product line.

Thanks again!

Chris

"UglyDan®©T" wrote in message
I had an ex-girlfriend that had to always get the last word in even when
she was wrong.
You remind me of her.

Of course Bondo® has many different products and applications, but
that premixed crap they sell in the tube you suggested will crack and
shrink, Just go to any reputable body shop (Maaco don't count) and tell
them you want to fix a 'semi deep scratch" with it, and I promise you'll
get laughed right out of the place. They would suggest "iceing" first,
but alas a rank amateur like you wouldn't know what that means or is.
Sure bondo will work, but it won't last like epoxy, marine tex etcwhich
i've seen shrink/crack too.

When kissing bass you really should stay away from the ones tainted with
mercury.
Its really doing a # on your brain cells.

No bondo in my vehicles or boats, UD

http://community.webtv.net/capuglyda...inUglyDansJack

basskisser

"UglyDan®©T" wrote in message
I had an ex-girlfriend that had to always get the last word in even when
she was wrong.
You remind me of her.

Of course Bondo® has many different products and applications, but
that premixed crap they sell in the tube you suggested will crack and
shrink, Just go to any reputable body shop (Maaco don't count) and tell
them you want to fix a 'semi deep scratch" with it, and I promise you'll
get laughed right out of the place. They would suggest "iceing" first,
but alas a rank amateur like you wouldn't know what that means or is.
Sure bondo will work, but it won't last like epoxy, marine tex etcwhich
i've seen shrink/crack too.

When kissing bass you really should stay away from the ones tainted with
mercury.
Its really doing a # on your brain cells.

No bondo in my vehicles or boats, UD

Are you REALLY saying that "reputable body shops" don't use ANY
polyester glazing and spot putty, such as Bondo Glazing and Spot
Putty? Funny thing, a friend of a friend, who went to a tech school
for body repair, and subsequently owns his own body shop, is the one
who told me about the stuff. It is used for glazing, as well as
scratch filling. Again, you seem worried about shrinkage, and
cracking. Now, I've given an example. I have some in an area and a
material that is VERY temperature unstable, and you can watch it flex
at highway speed. It's been there long enough to know that it isn't
going anywhere. Now, mind you, I didn't ever say that the stuff will
span and repair a break in material. I said it will perform great for
filling a scratch in a hood. If you want to talk about a REAL, PROPER
fix, that would be a NEW HOOD.