Backyard Renegade

Default Police Marine Units

"swatcop" wrote in message . com...
"Backyard Renegade" wrote in message
om...
"swatcop" wrote in message news:9RMCb.12536
Thank you for your input. Seems the jetskis are a common topic, and will

be
dealt with more severely.

I have been pretty impressed with what you have had to say, until now.
Hating jet skies as much as any other sane boater it is still my
opinion that if you go into this new assignment with that attitude,
and acting on that prejudice as you state you will, than you are just
another pain in the ass, bad cop.

As for the waterway, I'll be on the west coast in
the Gulf of Mexico. Thank you for the welcome and for the information, I
plan on making a POSITIVE change out there and not just becoming another
pain in the ass.

The way to make a positive change is to make your compadres see things
more from the user point of view and bring your practical experience
as a boater and a human to the job, not by going out with a "piggish"
attitude, looking for jetskiers and other (mostly law abiding) folks
who don't fall in line with your personal boating or even lifestyle,
preferences and treating them "more severely".

Scott Ingersoll, who has seen to many good cops fall into this trap...

I'm glad someone "pro-jetski"

You did not read my post correctly, I am not pro jetski, I said:
" Hating jet skies as much as any other sane boater..."
Anyway, just wanted to clear that one up...
Scotty

finally responded so I can get an even view of
the situation. As I stated in other replies, I am a fair guy. I won't
headhunt jetskis and hand out fistfulls of citations, but if all of the
boaters are complaining about the "water etiquette" usually displayed by
PWCs, then there's got to be a problem somewhere. I believe that I can get
the message out in my area that inconsiderate operation of PWCs will not be
acceptable without breaking out the ticket book. Once I warn someone,
though, I WILL issue a citation for subsequent offenses. That goes for PWCs,
boats, cars, skateboards, or whatever. Thanks for your input, yours will be
noted along with the rest of them.

Backyard Renegade

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message ...
"Backyard Renegade" wrote in message
om...

The way to make a positive change is to make your compadres see things
more from the user point of view and bring your practical experience
as a boater and a human to the job

I'm not sure who you mean by "compadres",

I meant his fellow Officers...

but if you mean the jetskiers
themselves, that'll be a tough nut to crack. First of all, around here
they're 90% teenagers. Ask 100 teenagers how often they need a quiet
afternoon. Let me know if you get positive answers from more than one or two
of them. It's up to their parents to explain to them that some boaters are
out on the water to get AWAY from lawnmowers and string trimmers and morons
who think "loud pipes save lives", and that it's their job to make sure that
nobody has to hear their jet skis at "normal lawnmower distances".

Then they are arrogant and stupid, if they want peace and quiet, they
should go somewhere where the noisy stuff is not legal. That is a big
problem when a few folks can ruin the fun for a lot of other folks...
the "few" I refer to are the ones screaming about those who have
different ideas about fun boating. Remember, noisy or fast does not
mean bad or illegal... or even obnoxious for that matter, it just
depends on your point of view... What is really bad, is the
intolerance of some for those with different opinions on how to enjoy
the public waters.

Failing this, there's nothing wrong with them being hunted down and
reoriented by the cops. What's are the other options? Put up with the noise?
The bad driving? The drunkenness? Or, chase them down ourselves?

By the way, the rudest and most dangerous boaters I have run into in
the past are almost exclusively on 20 to 30 foot boats, not go fasts'
or jetskies either, just drunken idiots in regular stock dealer boats
like Maxim or SeaSwirl. Around here the jetskis know they are targets
so they more or less are under control..

Scotty, I do my boating on the CT River.
Doug Kanter

"Backyard Renegade" wrote in message
om...

but if you mean the jetskiers
themselves, that'll be a tough nut to crack. First of all, around here
they're 90% teenagers. Ask 100 teenagers how often they need a quiet
afternoon. Let me know if you get positive answers from more than one or

two
of them. It's up to their parents to explain to them that some boaters

are
out on the water to get AWAY from lawnmowers and string trimmers and

morons
who think "loud pipes save lives", and that it's their job to make sure

that
nobody has to hear their jet skis at "normal lawnmower distances".

Then they are arrogant and stupid, if they want peace and quiet, they
should go somewhere where the noisy stuff is not legal.

As you know, there are boaters and jetskiers who not only need to go fast,
but at the same time need to be seen. I've been on vast expanses of water,
like Tupper Lake in the Adirondacks, anchored near a shore which was state
forest land, with no specific destinations (marinas, homes, channels, etc)
and had jetskiers buzz around my boat for extended periods of time. The same
thing happens regularly in Irondequoit Bay, in Rochester. There's no excuse
for choosing to do such things near a group of anchored boats when you have
10,000 acres of water to choose from.

That is a big
problem when a few folks can ruin the fun for a lot of other folks...
the "few" I refer to are the ones screaming about those who have
different ideas about fun boating. Remember, noisy or fast does not
mean bad or illegal... or even obnoxious for that matter, it just
depends on your point of view... What is really bad, is the
intolerance of some for those with different opinions on how to enjoy
the public waters.

If you'd just made some sort of repair to your engine and needed to max out
the boat to see if you'd done the job right, would you do so within a couple
of hundred feet of an anchorage, or would you put a lot more distance
between you and the anchored boats?

Failing this, there's nothing wrong with them being hunted down and
reoriented by the cops. What's are the other options? Put up with the

noise?
The bad driving? The drunkenness? Or, chase them down ourselves?

By the way, the rudest and most dangerous boaters I have run into in
the past are almost exclusively on 20 to 30 foot boats, not go fasts'
or jetskies either, just drunken idiots in regular stock dealer boats
like Maxim or SeaSwirl. Around here the jetskis know they are targets
so they more or less are under control..

Scotty, I do my boating on the CT River.

Dave Skolnick

Ah-ha! Someone who agrees with me! I usually work the road after dark, and
my biggest pet-peeve is business checks and residential checks. I take it
personally if my sector has a burglary when I'm working because I'm very
thorough. The crime rate in my sector dropped 10% last year, which I'm very
proud of and attribute to high visibility patrol after dark. I plan on doing
the same thing with the Marine Unit by patrolling the channels and such.
Thanks.

Marina fairways?

Also visit and get to know the marina operators and liveaboards. In
areas where liveaboards aren't strictly legal, you'll find there are
still people who "spend significant amounts of time on their boats."
Think of them as built-in neighborhood watch. Sailboats with wind
generators and solar panels are highly likely to be home to someone who
keeps their eyes peeled. Worth getting to know the locals and welcoming
the transients.

Good luck and be safe.

dave

Marine stereos m Ransley General 14 December 9th 03 02:56 PM
Coastie Tales Capt. Frank Hopkins General 3 November 14th 03 02:34 PM
marine trader light bulb wanted. Florida Keyz General 2 October 25th 03 04:37 AM
Marine Insurance for older boats Greg Boyles General 7 October 18th 03 10:07 PM
Marine Goop glue = how to remove? Paul Dougherty General 3 July 28th 03 08:03 PM