Backyard Renegade

Default Police Marine Units

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message ...
"Backyard Renegade" wrote in message
om...

The way to make a positive change is to make your compadres see things
more from the user point of view and bring your practical experience
as a boater and a human to the job

I'm not sure who you mean by "compadres",

I meant his fellow Officers...

but if you mean the jetskiers
themselves, that'll be a tough nut to crack. First of all, around here
they're 90% teenagers. Ask 100 teenagers how often they need a quiet
afternoon. Let me know if you get positive answers from more than one or two
of them. It's up to their parents to explain to them that some boaters are
out on the water to get AWAY from lawnmowers and string trimmers and morons
who think "loud pipes save lives", and that it's their job to make sure that
nobody has to hear their jet skis at "normal lawnmower distances".

Then they are arrogant and stupid, if they want peace and quiet, they
should go somewhere where the noisy stuff is not legal. That is a big
problem when a few folks can ruin the fun for a lot of other folks...
the "few" I refer to are the ones screaming about those who have
different ideas about fun boating. Remember, noisy or fast does not
mean bad or illegal... or even obnoxious for that matter, it just
depends on your point of view... What is really bad, is the
intolerance of some for those with different opinions on how to enjoy
the public waters.

Failing this, there's nothing wrong with them being hunted down and
reoriented by the cops. What's are the other options? Put up with the noise?
The bad driving? The drunkenness? Or, chase them down ourselves?

By the way, the rudest and most dangerous boaters I have run into in
the past are almost exclusively on 20 to 30 foot boats, not go fasts'
or jetskies either, just drunken idiots in regular stock dealer boats
like Maxim or SeaSwirl. Around here the jetskis know they are targets
so they more or less are under control..

Scotty, I do my boating on the CT River.