Capt. Frank Hopkins

Default Strange electrical problem Portside engine

I was down to the dock today, and one of my neighbors was having a fit
with his Searay 27. When he tried to turn the port engine over, all the
power in the boat would die. No lights, no electronics, no nothing. We
checked the batteries, checked the grounds and positive battery leads,
cleaned them and made sure the engine side connections were tight.

Same deal. Turn the key and the boat goes dark. Ok, lets try a different
approach. We turned the key for the starboard engine, it fires up right
away. No problems. All power is on and the stereo is playing merrily.

Turn key for port engine, something in the engine room makes a hell of a
chattering noise, the engine starts! The problem has not reoccurred in
half a dozen re-starts on the portside only system.

Anyone want to take a guess? It has both of us baffled.

Capt. Frank

.JIMinMA.

"Capt. Frank Hopkins" wrote in message
link.net...
I was down to the dock today, and one of my neighbors was having a fit
with his Searay 27. When he tried to turn the port engine over, all the
power in the boat would die. No lights, no electronics, no nothing. We
checked the batteries, checked the grounds and positive battery leads,
cleaned them and made sure the engine side connections were tight.

Same deal. Turn the key and the boat goes dark. Ok, lets try a different
approach. We turned the key for the starboard engine, it fires up right
away. No problems. All power is on and the stereo is playing merrily.

Turn key for port engine, something in the engine room makes a hell of a
chattering noise, the engine starts! The problem has not reoccurred in
half a dozen re-starts on the portside only system.

Anyone want to take a guess? It has both of us baffled.

Capt. Frank

My first guess would be hydrolocked engine. Next time it happens, pull the
spark plugs and see what happens. 2nd guess is bad starter.

Wildest Dream

did u clean the grounds also, clean the battery terminals too, did the
starboard engine run at the same time as the port when it was having this
problem, maybe the perco switch, I think when u say all power doesn't work
when starting the port engine right? i.e.: radio and house. that would lead
me to believe it is the perco switch, doe's it have 2 switches or one?

wrote:

I was down to the dock today, and one of my neighbors was having a fit
with his Searay 27. When he tried to turn the port engine over, all the
power in the boat would die. No lights, no electronics, no nothing. We
checked the batteries, checked the grounds and positive battery leads,
cleaned them and made sure the engine side connections were tight.

Same deal. Turn the key and the boat goes dark. Ok, lets try a different
approach. We turned the key for the starboard engine, it fires up right
away. No problems. All power is on and the stereo is playing merrily.

Turn key for port engine, something in the engine room makes a hell of a
chattering noise, the engine starts! The problem has not reoccurred in
half a dozen re-starts on the portside only system.

Anyone want to take a guess? It has both of us baffled.

Capt. Frank

John Gaquin

"Capt. Frank Hopkins" wrote in message

Anyone want to take a guess? It has both of us baffled.

Starter or solenoid.

JG

Capt. Frank Hopkins

The problem reoccurred, so he pulled the starter. Guess what! The
battery lead was nearly burned in half, but you couldn't have seen it
because it was routed behind the engine. The starter's bendix gear also
showed heavy rust. We replaced both and all is well.

Capt. Frank

Capt. Frank Hopkins wrote:

I was down to the dock today, and one of my neighbors was having a fit
with his Searay 27. When he tried to turn the port engine over, all the
power in the boat would die. No lights, no electronics, no nothing. We
checked the batteries, checked the grounds and positive battery leads,
cleaned them and made sure the engine side connections were tight.

Same deal. Turn the key and the boat goes dark. Ok, lets try a different
approach. We turned the key for the starboard engine, it fires up right
away. No problems. All power is on and the stereo is playing merrily.

Turn key for port engine, something in the engine room makes a hell of a
chattering noise, the engine starts! The problem has not reoccurred in
half a dozen re-starts on the portside only system.

Anyone want to take a guess? It has both of us baffled.

Capt. Frank

Larry W4CSC

Shorted starter commutator. One winding shorted to ground, somewhere.
If any other winding ends up where it stops, the starter will run,
passing the shorted winding fast enough you won't see it until the
arcing has consumed the brushes, at which point you are DEAD IN THE
WATER.....(d^

wrote:

[...]

"Very funny, Scotty! Now, BEAM ME MY CLOTHES! KIRK OUT!"