BoatBanter.com

-   -   Strange electrical problem Portside engine (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/2022-strange-electrical-problem-portside-engine.html)

Capt. Frank Hopkins November 13th 03 10:26 PM

Strange electrical problem Portside engine

I was down to the dock today, and one of my neighbors was having a fit
with his Searay 27. When he tried to turn the port engine over, all the
power in the boat would die. No lights, no electronics, no nothing. We
checked the batteries, checked the grounds and positive battery leads,
cleaned them and made sure the engine side connections were tight.

Same deal. Turn the key and the boat goes dark. Ok, lets try a different
approach. We turned the key for the starboard engine, it fires up right
away. No problems. All power is on and the stereo is playing merrily.

Turn key for port engine, something in the engine room makes a hell of a
chattering noise, the engine starts! The problem has not reoccurred in
half a dozen re-starts on the portside only system.

Anyone want to take a guess? It has both of us baffled.

Capt. Frank

.JIMinMA. November 13th 03 10:59 PM

Strange electrical problem Portside engine

"Capt. Frank Hopkins" wrote in message
link.net...
I was down to the dock today, and one of my neighbors was having a fit
with his Searay 27. When he tried to turn the port engine over, all the
power in the boat would die. No lights, no electronics, no nothing. We
checked the batteries, checked the grounds and positive battery leads,
cleaned them and made sure the engine side connections were tight.

Same deal. Turn the key and the boat goes dark. Ok, lets try a different
approach. We turned the key for the starboard engine, it fires up right
away. No problems. All power is on and the stereo is playing merrily.

Turn key for port engine, something in the engine room makes a hell of a
chattering noise, the engine starts! The problem has not reoccurred in
half a dozen re-starts on the portside only system.

Anyone want to take a guess? It has both of us baffled.

Capt. Frank

My first guess would be hydrolocked engine. Next time it happens, pull the
spark plugs and see what happens. 2nd guess is bad starter.

jps November 13th 03 11:21 PM

Strange electrical problem Portside engine

In article .net,
says...
I was down to the dock today, and one of my neighbors was having a fit
with his Searay 27. When he tried to turn the port engine over, all the
power in the boat would die. No lights, no electronics, no nothing. We
checked the batteries, checked the grounds and positive battery leads,
cleaned them and made sure the engine side connections were tight.

Same deal. Turn the key and the boat goes dark. Ok, lets try a different
approach. We turned the key for the starboard engine, it fires up right
away. No problems. All power is on and the stereo is playing merrily.

Turn key for port engine, something in the engine room makes a hell of a
chattering noise, the engine starts! The problem has not reoccurred in
half a dozen re-starts on the portside only system.

Anyone want to take a guess? It has both of us baffled.

Capt. Frank

Checked the batteries how? Did he check the voltage of the port
battery?

Port start battery could be low and being charged by starboard
alternator...

jchaplain November 13th 03 11:38 PM

Strange electrical problem Portside engine

Jammed starter motor maybe.

Wildest Dream November 14th 03 11:16 AM

Strange electrical problem Portside engine

did u clean the grounds also, clean the battery terminals too, did the
starboard engine run at the same time as the port when it was having this
problem, maybe the perco switch, I think when u say all power doesn't work
when starting the port engine right? i.e.: radio and house. that would lead
me to believe it is the perco switch, doe's it have 2 switches or one?

Paul Schilter November 14th 03 02:28 PM

Strange electrical problem Portside engine

jchaplain,
That or the starter is shorting to ground.
Paul

John Gaquin November 14th 03 03:40 PM

Strange electrical problem Portside engine

"Capt. Frank Hopkins" wrote in message

Anyone want to take a guess? It has both of us baffled.

Starter or solenoid.

JG

Capt. Frank Hopkins November 15th 03 04:04 AM

Strange electrical problem Portside engine

The problem reoccurred, so he pulled the starter. Guess what! The
battery lead was nearly burned in half, but you couldn't have seen it
because it was routed behind the engine. The starter's bendix gear also
showed heavy rust. We replaced both and all is well.

Capt. Frank

Larry W4CSC November 19th 03 12:33 AM

Strange electrical problem Portside engine

Shorted starter commutator. One winding shorted to ground, somewhere.
If any other winding ends up where it stops, the starter will run,
passing the shorted winding fast enough you won't see it until the
arcing has consumed the brushes, at which point you are DEAD IN THE
WATER.....(d^:)

wrote:

I was down to the dock today, and one of my neighbors was having a fit
with his Searay 27. When he tried to turn the port engine over, all the
power in the boat would die. No lights, no electronics, no nothing. We
checked the batteries, checked the grounds and positive battery leads,
cleaned them and made sure the engine side connections were tight.

Same deal. Turn the key and the boat goes dark. Ok, lets try a different
approach. We turned the key for the starboard engine, it fires up right
away. No problems. All power is on and the stereo is playing merrily.

Turn key for port engine, something in the engine room makes a hell of a
chattering noise, the engine starts! The problem has not reoccurred in
half a dozen re-starts on the portside only system.

Anyone want to take a guess? It has both of us baffled.

Capt. Frank

Larry W4CSC

"Very funny, Scotty! Now, BEAM ME MY CLOTHES! KIRK OUT!"