Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #21   Report Post  
Old April 24th 21, 01:43 PM posted to rec.boats
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by BoatBanter: Jan 2021
Posts: 19
Default Windows ARM

On 4/24/21 5:11 AM, Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 4/23/2021 5:30 PM, True North wrote:
On Friday, 23 April 2021 at 16:52:45 UTC-3, Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 4/22/2021 5:38 PM, Keyser Söze wrote:
On 4/22/21 5:30 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 22 Apr 2021 15:45:04 -0400 (EDT), justan wrote:

Keyser Söze Wrote in message:r
So, I am playing around with a "new" version of Windoze 10 rewritten
for ARM CPUs, and while it works ok, it is just as clunky as I
remember Windoze 7 being. Just messing with it because there are a
few computer games I like from a decade or so ago that were never
neatly ported over to Macs directly or via STEAM. Windows is like
WORD for Windows...just completely too complex and overblown. Blech.
I'm running Windoze on my MacBook via Parallels 16.5, which does work
nicely.-- * Lock up Trump and his family of grifters. *

Ask Greg if he'd sell you an XP machine.

I will give him one for the shipping but I thinned out the herd a
while ago and most of them are gone.

I have a W/98 laptop I am not using these days. It has a SCSI card and
everything. ;-)
I used to use it on my 11x14 scanner. I don't use that anymore. It is
also my FAX machine. I don't use that either.

OTOH I can boot up native DOS 6.3 and W/3.1 on this machine just by
moving the boot pointer to my FAT drive.

I still have an XP laptop but it is mostly to hook up to my outboard
and cars. It has the software for OBDII and YDIS on it. I am not sure
if that will run on 7 or not but I don't feel like screwing with
something that works.


Windoze 10 runs nicely under Parallels 16.5 on my MacBook Air. Runs
really fast, too...the Parallels folks have stepped up to the plate. I
still don't like Windoze as an OS because it is just too fattttt and
clunky, but it is easy enough to setup and run. In fact, once I "told"
Parallels to install the Windoze ARM file, the entire process was fast
and required no attention from me. I'm only going to use the Windoze
setup to run a few of my old, favorite games.

Gave up my FAX machine years ago. I use FAXzero on the rare occasions
three times a year when I have an outgoing FAX. My scanner uses
USB...don't recall ever using a SCSI scanner.

I bought Mrs.E a small HP laptop with Win 10 over a year ago. She never
used it because all she uses now is her iPhone.

She gave it back to me yesterday and I set it up in my shed. It had not
been on for 444 days and needed all the updates since then that took
almost three hours to download and install.

Works great now. I have it hooked via HDMI to a 50" flatscreen on the
shed wall. Bought a WiFi extender and get a super strong connection.

Kinda nice because now I can watch all programming on Xfinity Stream,
NetFlix and Amazon Prime along with browsing and reading news and stuff.

Other than the long updating process, it works great.



--
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
https://www.avg.com



Does that shed have minimal heat all winter?
I'd be concerned about dampness up here.



One of my projects last summer was to totally insulate it.
It's a fairly large shed, big enough for work benches plus
a built-in desk with a large flat panel TV on the wall.

I bought a 20,000 BTU propane heater that operates on
a thermostat. Keeps the shed nice and toasty in the
winter, even with outdoor temps in single digits.

I don't leave the heater on when I am not in the shed
but it only takes 10-15 minutes to raise the temp up
to 70 (F) or more. Because of the insulation, it
doesn't lose everything at night when the heater is off.


Thats great. If your weather ever gets as bad as it does in Halifax, you'll
be ready for it. ;-)

--
No more bull****

  #22   Report Post  
Old April 24th 21, 02:05 PM posted to rec.boats
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by BoatBanter: Oct 2020
Posts: 1,486
Default Windows ARM

On 4/24/21 5:13 AM, Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 4/23/2021 6:10 PM, Keyser Soze wrote:
Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 4/22/2021 5:38 PM, Keyser Söze wrote:
On 4/22/21 5:30 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 22 Apr 2021 15:45:04 -0400 (EDT), justan wrote:

Keyser Söze Wrote in message:r
So, I am playing around with a "new" version of Windoze 10 rewritten
for ARM CPUs, and while it works ok, it is just as clunky as I
remember Windoze 7 being. Just messing with it because there are a
few computer games I like from a decade or so ago that were never
neatly ported over to Macs directly or via STEAM. Windows is like
WORD for Windows...just completely too complex and overblown. Blech.
I'm running Windoze on my MacBook via Parallels 16.5, which does work
nicely.-- * Lock up Trump and his family of grifters. *

Ask Greg if he'd sell you* an XP machine.

I will give him one for the shipping but I thinned out the herd a
while ago and most of them are gone.

I have a W/98 laptop I am not using these days. It has a SCSI card and
everything.* ;-)
I used to use it on my 11x14 scanner. I don't use that anymore. It is
also my FAX machine. I don't use that either.

OTOH I can boot up native DOS 6.3 and W/3.1 on this machine just by
moving the boot pointer to my FAT drive.

I still have an XP laptop but it is mostly to hook up to my outboard
and cars. It has the software for OBDII and YDIS on it. I am not sure
if that will run on 7 or not but I don't feel like screwing with
something that works.


Windoze 10 runs nicely under Parallels 16.5 on my MacBook Air. Runs
really fast, too...the Parallels folks have stepped up to the plate. I
still don't like Windoze as an OS because it is just too fattttt and
clunky, but it is easy enough to setup and run. In fact, once I "told"
Parallels to install the Windoze ARM file, the entire process was fast
and required no attention from me. I'm only going to use the Windoze
setup to run a few of my old, favorite games.

Gave up my FAX machine years ago. I use FAXzero on the rare occasions
three times a year when I have an outgoing FAX. My scanner uses
USB...don't recall ever using a SCSI scanner.


I bought Mrs.E a small HP laptop with Win 10 over a year ago.* She never
used it because all she uses now is her iPhone.

She gave it back to me yesterday and I set it up in my shed.* It had not
been on for 444 days and needed all the updates since then that took
almost three hours to download and install.

Works great now.* I have it hooked via HDMI to a 50" flatscreen on the
shed wall.* Bought a WiFi extender and get a super strong connection.

Kinda nice because now I can watch all programming on Xfinity Stream,
NetFlix and Amazon Prime along with browsing and reading news and stuff.

** Other than the long updating process, it works great.




Typically, a full OS update on a Mac takes a half hour or less.



Wasn't my experience when I had the last Mac I tried.* Forget what it
was called but it was a large screen, all in one model.* When Apple
would change the OS from time to time it took forever to download
and install.



Might be related to the speed of your internet connection, the
capability of your wifi or hardwired port, the speed of your hard drive.



--
* Lock up Trump and his family of grifters. *
  #23   Report Post  
Old April 24th 21, 02:29 PM posted to rec.boats
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by BoatBanter: Jan 2011
Posts: 5,747
Default Windows ARM

On Saturday, 24 April 2021 at 09:43:55 UTC-3, undefined wrote:
On 4/24/21 5:11 AM, Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 4/23/2021 5:30 PM, True North wrote:
On Friday, 23 April 2021 at 16:52:45 UTC-3, Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 4/22/2021 5:38 PM, Keyser Söze wrote:
On 4/22/21 5:30 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 22 Apr 2021 15:45:04 -0400 (EDT), justan wrote:

Keyser Söze Wrote in message:r
So, I am playing around with a "new" version of Windoze 10 rewritten
for ARM CPUs, and while it works ok, it is just as clunky as I
remember Windoze 7 being. Just messing with it because there are a
few computer games I like from a decade or so ago that were never
neatly ported over to Macs directly or via STEAM. Windows is like
WORD for Windows...just completely too complex and overblown. Blech..
I'm running Windoze on my MacBook via Parallels 16.5, which does work
nicely.-- * Lock up Trump and his family of grifters. *

Ask Greg if he'd sell you an XP machine.

I will give him one for the shipping but I thinned out the herd a
while ago and most of them are gone.

I have a W/98 laptop I am not using these days. It has a SCSI card and
everything. ;-)
I used to use it on my 11x14 scanner. I don't use that anymore. It is
also my FAX machine. I don't use that either.

OTOH I can boot up native DOS 6.3 and W/3.1 on this machine just by
moving the boot pointer to my FAT drive.

I still have an XP laptop but it is mostly to hook up to my outboard
and cars. It has the software for OBDII and YDIS on it. I am not sure
if that will run on 7 or not but I don't feel like screwing with
something that works.


Windoze 10 runs nicely under Parallels 16.5 on my MacBook Air. Runs
really fast, too...the Parallels folks have stepped up to the plate. I
still don't like Windoze as an OS because it is just too fattttt and
clunky, but it is easy enough to setup and run. In fact, once I "told"
Parallels to install the Windoze ARM file, the entire process was fast
and required no attention from me. I'm only going to use the Windoze
setup to run a few of my old, favorite games.

Gave up my FAX machine years ago. I use FAXzero on the rare occasions
three times a year when I have an outgoing FAX. My scanner uses
USB...don't recall ever using a SCSI scanner.

I bought Mrs.E a small HP laptop with Win 10 over a year ago. She never
used it because all she uses now is her iPhone.

She gave it back to me yesterday and I set it up in my shed. It had not
been on for 444 days and needed all the updates since then that took
almost three hours to download and install.

Works great now. I have it hooked via HDMI to a 50" flatscreen on the
shed wall. Bought a WiFi extender and get a super strong connection.

Kinda nice because now I can watch all programming on Xfinity Stream,
NetFlix and Amazon Prime along with browsing and reading news and stuff.

Other than the long updating process, it works great.



--
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
https://www.avg.com


Does that shed have minimal heat all winter?
I'd be concerned about dampness up here.



One of my projects last summer was to totally insulate it.
It's a fairly large shed, big enough for work benches plus
a built-in desk with a large flat panel TV on the wall.

I bought a 20,000 BTU propane heater that operates on
a thermostat. Keeps the shed nice and toasty in the
winter, even with outdoor temps in single digits.

I don't leave the heater on when I am not in the shed
but it only takes 10-15 minutes to raise the temp up
to 70 (F) or more. Because of the insulation, it
doesn't lose everything at night when the heater is off.


Thats great. If your weather ever gets as bad as it does in Halifax, you'll
be ready for it. ;-)

--
No more bull****



Duh!
Richard probably gets a bit more privacy of the colder weather than we do. Since we're almost surrounded by the Atlantic, our weather is moderated by it. Dampness and high winds are probably worse up here. Snow, on the other hand, might be similar since most of our storms seem to come up from the Boston states.
  #24   Report Post  
Old April 24th 21, 05:46 PM posted to rec.boats
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by BoatBanter: Oct 2020
Posts: 244
Default Windows ARM

On Friday, April 23, 2021 at 6:54:14 PM UTC-4, Bill wrote:
Keyser Soze wrote:
Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 4/22/2021 5:38 PM, Keyser Söze wrote:
On 4/22/21 5:30 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 22 Apr 2021 15:45:04 -0400 (EDT), justan wrote:

Keyser Söze Wrote in message:r
So, I am playing around with a "new" version of Windoze 10 rewritten
for ARM CPUs, and while it works ok, it is just as clunky as I
remember Windoze 7 being. Just messing with it because there are a
few computer games I like from a decade or so ago that were never
neatly ported over to Macs directly or via STEAM. Windows is like
WORD for Windows...just completely too complex and overblown. Blech.
I'm running Windoze on my MacBook via Parallels 16.5, which does work
nicely.-- * Lock up Trump and his family of grifters. *

Ask Greg if he'd sell you an XP machine.

I will give him one for the shipping but I thinned out the herd a
while ago and most of them are gone.

I have a W/98 laptop I am not using these days. It has a SCSI card and
everything. ;-)
I used to use it on my 11x14 scanner. I don't use that anymore. It is
also my FAX machine. I don't use that either.

OTOH I can boot up native DOS 6.3 and W/3.1 on this machine just by
moving the boot pointer to my FAT drive.

I still have an XP laptop but it is mostly to hook up to my outboard
and cars. It has the software for OBDII and YDIS on it. I am not sure
if that will run on 7 or not but I don't feel like screwing with
something that works.


Windoze 10 runs nicely under Parallels 16.5 on my MacBook Air. Runs
really fast, too...the Parallels folks have stepped up to the plate. I
still don't like Windoze as an OS because it is just too fattttt and
clunky, but it is easy enough to setup and run. In fact, once I "told"
Parallels to install the Windoze ARM file, the entire process was fast
and required no attention from me. I'm only going to use the Windoze
setup to run a few of my old, favorite games.

Gave up my FAX machine years ago. I use FAXzero on the rare occasions
three times a year when I have an outgoing FAX. My scanner uses
USB...don't recall ever using a SCSI scanner.


I bought Mrs.E a small HP laptop with Win 10 over a year ago. She never
used it because all she uses now is her iPhone.

She gave it back to me yesterday and I set it up in my shed. It had not
been on for 444 days and needed all the updates since then that took
almost three hours to download and install.

Works great now. I have it hooked via HDMI to a 50" flatscreen on the
shed wall. Bought a WiFi extender and get a super strong connection.

Kinda nice because now I can watch all programming on Xfinity Stream,
NetFlix and Amazon Prime along with browsing and reading news and stuff.

Other than the long updating process, it works great.




Typically, a full OS update on a Mac takes a half hour or less.


But if you add in all the Apps, a lot longer.


He's not really talking about a "full" OS update, that's just a small, incremental update on a Mac. Luddite was updating a PC that hadn't been updated for nearly 1-1/2 years. Huge difference. PC incremental updates are 2-5 minutes, and a huge OS release is 20-30 minutes.
Having worked with both platforms, side-by-side in corporate environment, a Mac is only marginally better about needing updates. That's driven by the fact the PC's are targeted continually by hackers, and Mac's aren't. Mac users are in the extreme minority.

"Statistics show that Microsoft Windows has approximately 91% of the market share, while the Apple Mac OS has around 5% of the market share. The other 4% is owned by other operating systems such as Linux."

Why would a hacker waste their time on the Mac platform? Write a hack that can hit 91% of the market, or one that can get just 5%?

And why the huge disparity in market share? In the past, Macs had better graphics and were superior game machines, but at a hefty cost. If you needed to do work, PC's were your obvious choice. Now the graphics performance is even, so there's not much of a reason to go with a Mac anymore, except to be different. Hell, people with Macs are running Windows on them so they can run Windows programs! Can you say "duh"?
  #25   Report Post  
Old April 24th 21, 05:51 PM posted to rec.boats
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by BoatBanter: Jan 2011
Posts: 5,747
Default Windows ARM

On Saturday, 24 April 2021 at 10:29:54 UTC-3, True North wrote:
On Saturday, 24 April 2021 at 09:43:55 UTC-3, undefined wrote:
On 4/24/21 5:11 AM, Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 4/23/2021 5:30 PM, True North wrote:
On Friday, 23 April 2021 at 16:52:45 UTC-3, Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 4/22/2021 5:38 PM, Keyser Söze wrote:
On 4/22/21 5:30 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 22 Apr 2021 15:45:04 -0400 (EDT), justan wrote:

Keyser Söze Wrote in message:r
So, I am playing around with a "new" version of Windoze 10 rewritten
for ARM CPUs, and while it works ok, it is just as clunky as I
remember Windoze 7 being. Just messing with it because there are a
few computer games I like from a decade or so ago that were never
neatly ported over to Macs directly or via STEAM. Windows is like
WORD for Windows...just completely too complex and overblown. Blech.
I'm running Windoze on my MacBook via Parallels 16.5, which does work
nicely.-- * Lock up Trump and his family of grifters. *

Ask Greg if he'd sell you an XP machine.

I will give him one for the shipping but I thinned out the herd a
while ago and most of them are gone.

I have a W/98 laptop I am not using these days. It has a SCSI card and
everything. ;-)
I used to use it on my 11x14 scanner. I don't use that anymore. It is
also my FAX machine. I don't use that either.

OTOH I can boot up native DOS 6.3 and W/3.1 on this machine just by
moving the boot pointer to my FAT drive.

I still have an XP laptop but it is mostly to hook up to my outboard
and cars. It has the software for OBDII and YDIS on it. I am not sure
if that will run on 7 or not but I don't feel like screwing with
something that works.


Windoze 10 runs nicely under Parallels 16.5 on my MacBook Air. Runs
really fast, too...the Parallels folks have stepped up to the plate. I
still don't like Windoze as an OS because it is just too fattttt and
clunky, but it is easy enough to setup and run. In fact, once I "told"
Parallels to install the Windoze ARM file, the entire process was fast
and required no attention from me. I'm only going to use the Windoze
setup to run a few of my old, favorite games.

Gave up my FAX machine years ago. I use FAXzero on the rare occasions
three times a year when I have an outgoing FAX. My scanner uses
USB...don't recall ever using a SCSI scanner.

I bought Mrs.E a small HP laptop with Win 10 over a year ago. She never
used it because all she uses now is her iPhone.

She gave it back to me yesterday and I set it up in my shed. It had not
been on for 444 days and needed all the updates since then that took
almost three hours to download and install.

Works great now. I have it hooked via HDMI to a 50" flatscreen on the
shed wall. Bought a WiFi extender and get a super strong connection..

Kinda nice because now I can watch all programming on Xfinity Stream,
NetFlix and Amazon Prime along with browsing and reading news and stuff.

Other than the long updating process, it works great.



--
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
https://www.avg.com


Does that shed have minimal heat all winter?
I'd be concerned about dampness up here.



One of my projects last summer was to totally insulate it.
It's a fairly large shed, big enough for work benches plus
a built-in desk with a large flat panel TV on the wall.

I bought a 20,000 BTU propane heater that operates on
a thermostat. Keeps the shed nice and toasty in the
winter, even with outdoor temps in single digits.

I don't leave the heater on when I am not in the shed
but it only takes 10-15 minutes to raise the temp up
to 70 (F) or more. Because of the insulation, it
doesn't lose everything at night when the heater is off.


Thats great. If your weather ever gets as bad as it does in Halifax, you'll
be ready for it. ;-)

--
No more bull****

Duh!
Richard probably gets a bit more privacy of the colder weather than we do.. Since we're almost surrounded by the Atlantic, our weather is moderated by it. Dampness and high winds are probably worse up here. Snow, on the other hand, might be similar since most of our storms seem to come up from the Boston states.



What the 'ell? Spell check put "privacy" in. Must be a repugnant program


  #26   Report Post  
Old April 24th 21, 06:00 PM posted to rec.boats
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by BoatBanter: Jun 2016
Posts: 4,926
Default Windows ARM

True North Wrote in message:r
On Saturday, 24 April 2021 at 10:29:54 UTC-3, True North wrote: On Saturday, 24 April 2021 at 09:43:55 UTC-3, undefined wrote: On 4/24/21 5:11 AM, Mr. Luddite wrote: On 4/23/2021 5:30 PM, True North wrote: On Friday, 23 April 2021 at 16:52:45 UTC-3, Mr. Luddite wrote: On 4/22/2021 5:38 PM, Keyser Sze wrote: On 4/22/21 5:30 PM, wrote: On Thu, 22 Apr 2021 15:45:04 -0400 (EDT), justan wrote: Keyser Sze Wrote in message:r So, I am playing around with a "new" version of Windoze 10 rewritten for ARM CPUs, and while it works ok, it is just as clunky as I remember Windoze 7 being. Just messing with it because there are a few computer games I like from a decade or so ago that were never neatly ported over to Macs directly or via STEAM. Windows is like WORD for Windows...just completely too complex and overblown. Blech. I'm running Windoze on my MacBook via Parallels 16.5, which does work nicely.-- * Lock up Trump and his family of grifters. * Ask Greg if he'd sell you an XP machine. I will give him one for the shipping but I thinned out the herd a while ago and most of them are gone. I have a W/98 laptop I am not using these days. It has a SCSI card and everything. ;-) I used to use it on my 11x14 scanner. I don't use that anymore. It is also my FAX machine. I don't use that either. OTOH I can boot up native DOS 6.3 and W/3.1 on this machine just by moving the boot pointer to my FAT drive. I still have an XP laptop but it is mostly to hook up to my outboard and cars. It has the software for OBDII and YDIS on it. I am not sure if that will run on 7 or not but I don't feel like screwing with something that works. Windoze 10 runs nicely under Parallels 16.5 on my MacBook Air. Runs really fast, too...the Parallels folks have stepped up to the plate. I still don't like Windoze as an OS because it is just too fattttt and clunky, but it is easy enough to setup and run. In fact, once I "told" Parallels to install the Windoze ARM file, the entire process was fast and required no attention from me. I'm only going to use the Windoze setup to run a few of my old, favorite games. Gave up my FAX machine years ago. I use FAXzero on the rare occasions three times a year when I have an outgoing FAX. My scanner uses USB...don't recall ever using a SCSI scanner. I bought Mrs.E a small HP laptop with Win 10 over a year ago. She never used it because all she uses now is her iPhone. She gave it back to me yesterday and I set it up in my shed. It had not been on for 444 days and needed all the updates since then that took almost three hours to download and install. Works great now. I have it hooked via HDMI to a 50" flatscreen on the shed wall. Bought a WiFi extender and get a super strong connection. Kinda nice because now I can watch all programming on Xfinity Stream, NetFlix and Amazon Prime along with browsing and reading news and stuff. Other than the long updating process, it works great. -- This email has been checked for viruses by AVG. https://www.avg.com Does that shed have minimal heat all winter? I'd be concerned about dampness up here. One of my projects last summer was to totally insulate it. It's a fairly large shed, big enough for work benches plus a built-in desk with a large flat panel TV on the wall. I bought a 20,000 BTU propane heater that operates on a thermostat. Keeps the shed nice and toasty in the winter, even with outdoor temps in single digits. I don't leave the heater on when I am not in the shed but it only takes 10-15 minutes to raise the temp up to 70 (F) or more. Because of the insulation, it doesn't lose everything at night when the heater is off. Thats great. If your weather ever gets as bad as it does in Halifax, you'll be ready for it. ;-) -- No more bull**** Duh! Richard probably gets a bit more privacy of the colder weather than we do. Since we're almost surrounded by the Atlantic, our weather is moderated by it. Dampness and high winds are probably worse up here. Snow, on the other hand, might be similar since most of our storms seem to come up from the Boston states.What the 'ell? Spell check put "privacy" in. Must be a repugnant program


Spela cheka throw in "Boston states" too? Dummy!
--
Thanks Donald. Do you miss him yet?


----Android NewsGroup Reader----
https://piaohong.s3-us-west-2.amazon...net/index.html
  #27   Report Post  
Old April 24th 21, 06:35 PM posted to rec.boats
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by BoatBanter: Jan 2017
Posts: 4,512
Default Windows ARM

Keyser Söze wrote:
On 4/24/21 5:13 AM, Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 4/23/2021 6:10 PM, Keyser Soze wrote:
Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 4/22/2021 5:38 PM, Keyser Söze wrote:
On 4/22/21 5:30 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 22 Apr 2021 15:45:04 -0400 (EDT), justan wrote:

Keyser Söze Wrote in message:r
So, I am playing around with a "new" version of Windoze 10 rewritten
for ARM CPUs, and while it works ok, it is just as clunky as I
remember Windoze 7 being. Just messing with it because there are a
few computer games I like from a decade or so ago that were never
neatly ported over to Macs directly or via STEAM. Windows is like
WORD for Windows...just completely too complex and overblown. Blech.
I'm running Windoze on my MacBook via Parallels 16.5, which does work
nicely.-- * Lock up Trump and his family of grifters. *

Ask Greg if he'd sell you* an XP machine.

I will give him one for the shipping but I thinned out the herd a
while ago and most of them are gone.

I have a W/98 laptop I am not using these days. It has a SCSI card and
everything.* ;-)
I used to use it on my 11x14 scanner. I don't use that anymore. It is
also my FAX machine. I don't use that either.

OTOH I can boot up native DOS 6.3 and W/3.1 on this machine just by
moving the boot pointer to my FAT drive.

I still have an XP laptop but it is mostly to hook up to my outboard
and cars. It has the software for OBDII and YDIS on it. I am not sure
if that will run on 7 or not but I don't feel like screwing with
something that works.


Windoze 10 runs nicely under Parallels 16.5 on my MacBook Air. Runs
really fast, too...the Parallels folks have stepped up to the plate. I
still don't like Windoze as an OS because it is just too fattttt and
clunky, but it is easy enough to setup and run. In fact, once I "told"
Parallels to install the Windoze ARM file, the entire process was fast
and required no attention from me. I'm only going to use the Windoze
setup to run a few of my old, favorite games.

Gave up my FAX machine years ago. I use FAXzero on the rare occasions
three times a year when I have an outgoing FAX. My scanner uses
USB...don't recall ever using a SCSI scanner.


I bought Mrs.E a small HP laptop with Win 10 over a year ago.* She never
used it because all she uses now is her iPhone.

She gave it back to me yesterday and I set it up in my shed.* It had not
been on for 444 days and needed all the updates since then that took
almost three hours to download and install.

Works great now.* I have it hooked via HDMI to a 50" flatscreen on the
shed wall.* Bought a WiFi extender and get a super strong connection.

Kinda nice because now I can watch all programming on Xfinity Stream,
NetFlix and Amazon Prime along with browsing and reading news and stuff.

** Other than the long updating process, it works great.




Typically, a full OS update on a Mac takes a half hour or less.



Wasn't my experience when I had the last Mac I tried.* Forget what it
was called but it was a large screen, all in one model.* When Apple
would change the OS from time to time it took forever to download
and install.



Might be related to the speed of your internet connection, the
capability of your wifi or hardwired port, the speed of your hard drive.




Mine upgrades in the middle of the night, but seeing how long the iPad
takes, is not that fast.

  #28   Report Post  
Old April 24th 21, 06:36 PM posted to rec.boats
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by BoatBanter: Jan 2017
Posts: 4,512
Default Windows ARM

True North wrote:
On Saturday, 24 April 2021 at 09:43:55 UTC-3, undefined wrote:
On 4/24/21 5:11 AM, Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 4/23/2021 5:30 PM, True North wrote:
On Friday, 23 April 2021 at 16:52:45 UTC-3, Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 4/22/2021 5:38 PM, Keyser Söze wrote:
On 4/22/21 5:30 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 22 Apr 2021 15:45:04 -0400 (EDT), justan wrote:

Keyser Söze Wrote in message:r
So, I am playing around with a "new" version of Windoze 10 rewritten
for ARM CPUs, and while it works ok, it is just as clunky as I
remember Windoze 7 being. Just messing with it because there are a
few computer games I like from a decade or so ago that were never
neatly ported over to Macs directly or via STEAM. Windows is like
WORD for Windows...just completely too complex and overblown. Blech.
I'm running Windoze on my MacBook via Parallels 16.5, which does work
nicely.-- * Lock up Trump and his family of grifters. *

Ask Greg if he'd sell you an XP machine.

I will give him one for the shipping but I thinned out the herd a
while ago and most of them are gone.

I have a W/98 laptop I am not using these days. It has a SCSI card and
everything. ;-)
I used to use it on my 11x14 scanner. I don't use that anymore. It is
also my FAX machine. I don't use that either.

OTOH I can boot up native DOS 6.3 and W/3.1 on this machine just by
moving the boot pointer to my FAT drive.

I still have an XP laptop but it is mostly to hook up to my outboard
and cars. It has the software for OBDII and YDIS on it. I am not sure
if that will run on 7 or not but I don't feel like screwing with
something that works.


Windoze 10 runs nicely under Parallels 16.5 on my MacBook Air. Runs
really fast, too...the Parallels folks have stepped up to the plate. I
still don't like Windoze as an OS because it is just too fattttt and
clunky, but it is easy enough to setup and run. In fact, once I "told"
Parallels to install the Windoze ARM file, the entire process was fast
and required no attention from me. I'm only going to use the Windoze
setup to run a few of my old, favorite games.

Gave up my FAX machine years ago. I use FAXzero on the rare occasions
three times a year when I have an outgoing FAX. My scanner uses
USB...don't recall ever using a SCSI scanner.

I bought Mrs.E a small HP laptop with Win 10 over a year ago. She never
used it because all she uses now is her iPhone.

She gave it back to me yesterday and I set it up in my shed. It had not
been on for 444 days and needed all the updates since then that took
almost three hours to download and install.

Works great now. I have it hooked via HDMI to a 50" flatscreen on the
shed wall. Bought a WiFi extender and get a super strong connection.

Kinda nice because now I can watch all programming on Xfinity Stream,
NetFlix and Amazon Prime along with browsing and reading news and stuff.

Other than the long updating process, it works great.



--
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
https://www.avg.com


Does that shed have minimal heat all winter?
I'd be concerned about dampness up here.



One of my projects last summer was to totally insulate it.
It's a fairly large shed, big enough for work benches plus
a built-in desk with a large flat panel TV on the wall.

I bought a 20,000 BTU propane heater that operates on
a thermostat. Keeps the shed nice and toasty in the
winter, even with outdoor temps in single digits.

I don't leave the heater on when I am not in the shed
but it only takes 10-15 minutes to raise the temp up
to 70 (F) or more. Because of the insulation, it
doesn't lose everything at night when the heater is off.


Thats great. If your weather ever gets as bad as it does in Halifax, you'll
be ready for it. ;-)

--
No more bull****



Duh!
Richard probably gets a bit more privacy of the colder weather than we
do. Since we're almost surrounded by the Atlantic, our weather is
moderated by it. Dampness and high winds are probably worse up here.
Snow, on the other hand, might be similar since most of our storms seem
to come up from the Boston states.


Richard probably gets a bit more privacy of the colder weather than we do.


What the heck does that mean?

  #29   Report Post  
Old April 24th 21, 07:47 PM posted to rec.boats
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by BoatBanter: Oct 2020
Posts: 1,486
Default Windows ARM

On 4/24/21 1:35 PM, Bill wrote:
Keyser Söze wrote:
On 4/24/21 5:13 AM, Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 4/23/2021 6:10 PM, Keyser Soze wrote:
Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 4/22/2021 5:38 PM, Keyser Söze wrote:
On 4/22/21 5:30 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 22 Apr 2021 15:45:04 -0400 (EDT), justan wrote:

Keyser Söze Wrote in message:r
So, I am playing around with a "new" version of Windoze 10 rewritten
for ARM CPUs, and while it works ok, it is just as clunky as I
remember Windoze 7 being. Just messing with it because there are a
few computer games I like from a decade or so ago that were never
neatly ported over to Macs directly or via STEAM. Windows is like
WORD for Windows...just completely too complex and overblown. Blech.
I'm running Windoze on my MacBook via Parallels 16.5, which does work
nicely.-- * Lock up Trump and his family of grifters. *

Ask Greg if he'd sell you* an XP machine.

I will give him one for the shipping but I thinned out the herd a
while ago and most of them are gone.

I have a W/98 laptop I am not using these days. It has a SCSI card and
everything.* ;-)
I used to use it on my 11x14 scanner. I don't use that anymore. It is
also my FAX machine. I don't use that either.

OTOH I can boot up native DOS 6.3 and W/3.1 on this machine just by
moving the boot pointer to my FAT drive.

I still have an XP laptop but it is mostly to hook up to my outboard
and cars. It has the software for OBDII and YDIS on it. I am not sure
if that will run on 7 or not but I don't feel like screwing with
something that works.


Windoze 10 runs nicely under Parallels 16.5 on my MacBook Air. Runs
really fast, too...the Parallels folks have stepped up to the plate. I
still don't like Windoze as an OS because it is just too fattttt and
clunky, but it is easy enough to setup and run. In fact, once I "told"
Parallels to install the Windoze ARM file, the entire process was fast
and required no attention from me. I'm only going to use the Windoze
setup to run a few of my old, favorite games.

Gave up my FAX machine years ago. I use FAXzero on the rare occasions
three times a year when I have an outgoing FAX. My scanner uses
USB...don't recall ever using a SCSI scanner.


I bought Mrs.E a small HP laptop with Win 10 over a year ago.* She never
used it because all she uses now is her iPhone.

She gave it back to me yesterday and I set it up in my shed.* It had not
been on for 444 days and needed all the updates since then that took
almost three hours to download and install.

Works great now.* I have it hooked via HDMI to a 50" flatscreen on the
shed wall.* Bought a WiFi extender and get a super strong connection.

Kinda nice because now I can watch all programming on Xfinity Stream,
NetFlix and Amazon Prime along with browsing and reading news and stuff.

** Other than the long updating process, it works great.




Typically, a full OS update on a Mac takes a half hour or less.



Wasn't my experience when I had the last Mac I tried.* Forget what it
was called but it was a large screen, all in one model.* When Apple
would change the OS from time to time it took forever to download
and install.



Might be related to the speed of your internet connection, the
capability of your wifi or hardwired port, the speed of your hard drive.




Mine upgrades in the middle of the night, but seeing how long the iPad
takes, is not that fast.


There are a lot of variables, including how many folks are hitting the
update servers and slamming them.

--
* Lock up Trump and his family of grifters. *
  #30   Report Post  
Old April 24th 21, 08:31 PM posted to rec.boats
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by BoatBanter: Apr 2021
Posts: 16
Default Windows ARM

On 4/24/2021 12:46 PM, wrote:
On Friday, April 23, 2021 at 6:54:14 PM UTC-4, Bill wrote:
Keyser Soze wrote:
Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 4/22/2021 5:38 PM, Keyser Söze wrote:
On 4/22/21 5:30 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 22 Apr 2021 15:45:04 -0400 (EDT), justan wrote:

Keyser Söze Wrote in message:r
So, I am playing around with a "new" version of Windoze 10 rewritten
for ARM CPUs, and while it works ok, it is just as clunky as I
remember Windoze 7 being. Just messing with it because there are a
few computer games I like from a decade or so ago that were never
neatly ported over to Macs directly or via STEAM. Windows is like
WORD for Windows...just completely too complex and overblown. Blech.
I'm running Windoze on my MacBook via Parallels 16.5, which does work
nicely.-- * Lock up Trump and his family of grifters. *

Ask Greg if he'd sell you an XP machine.

I will give him one for the shipping but I thinned out the herd a
while ago and most of them are gone.

I have a W/98 laptop I am not using these days. It has a SCSI card and
everything. ;-)
I used to use it on my 11x14 scanner. I don't use that anymore. It is
also my FAX machine. I don't use that either.

OTOH I can boot up native DOS 6.3 and W/3.1 on this machine just by
moving the boot pointer to my FAT drive.

I still have an XP laptop but it is mostly to hook up to my outboard
and cars. It has the software for OBDII and YDIS on it. I am not sure
if that will run on 7 or not but I don't feel like screwing with
something that works.


Windoze 10 runs nicely under Parallels 16.5 on my MacBook Air. Runs
really fast, too...the Parallels folks have stepped up to the plate. I
still don't like Windoze as an OS because it is just too fattttt and
clunky, but it is easy enough to setup and run. In fact, once I "told"
Parallels to install the Windoze ARM file, the entire process was fast
and required no attention from me. I'm only going to use the Windoze
setup to run a few of my old, favorite games.

Gave up my FAX machine years ago. I use FAXzero on the rare occasions
three times a year when I have an outgoing FAX. My scanner uses
USB...don't recall ever using a SCSI scanner.


I bought Mrs.E a small HP laptop with Win 10 over a year ago. She never
used it because all she uses now is her iPhone.

She gave it back to me yesterday and I set it up in my shed. It had not
been on for 444 days and needed all the updates since then that took
almost three hours to download and install.

Works great now. I have it hooked via HDMI to a 50" flatscreen on the
shed wall. Bought a WiFi extender and get a super strong connection.

Kinda nice because now I can watch all programming on Xfinity Stream,
NetFlix and Amazon Prime along with browsing and reading news and stuff.

Other than the long updating process, it works great.




Typically, a full OS update on a Mac takes a half hour or less.


But if you add in all the Apps, a lot longer.


He's not really talking about a "full" OS update, that's just a small, incremental update on a Mac. Luddite was updating a PC that hadn't been updated for nearly 1-1/2 years. Huge difference. PC incremental updates are 2-5 minutes, and a huge OS release is 20-30 minutes.
Having worked with both platforms, side-by-side in corporate environment, a Mac is only marginally better about needing updates. That's driven by the fact the PC's are targeted continually by hackers, and Mac's aren't. Mac users are in the extreme minority.

"Statistics show that Microsoft Windows has approximately 91% of the market share, while the Apple Mac OS has around 5% of the market share. The other 4% is owned by other operating systems such as Linux."

Why would a hacker waste their time on the Mac platform? Write a hack that can hit 91% of the market, or one that can get just 5%?

And why the huge disparity in market share? In the past, Macs had better graphics and were superior game machines, but at a hefty cost. If you needed to do work, PC's were your obvious choice. Now the graphics performance is even, so there's not much of a reason to go with a Mac anymore, except to be different. Hell, people with Macs are running Windows on them so they can run Windows programs! Can you say "duh"?


I think you're right. I just got a Windows notice about two more
updates that needed to be installed. They are automatically
downloaded but not installed until you do a "restart" (re-boot).

The two additional updates took about 10 minutes for both.

My Internet service isn't the fastest available but it's not
the slowest. It's advertised as being over 100 mbs. I've done
speed checks and during the busiest time of the day it typically
runs at about 80mbs. I've seen it go as high as 130 or so though.

It seems fast enough for two smart TVs for streaming stuff, two
computers (although one is connected via ethernet cable), and two
smartphones.

For some reason the data rate to the extender is slightly higher
than to the main router (or "Gateway" as they now call it).

Xfinity claims the X1 Gateway we have is capable of 1 gigabytes/sec.

Don't see any reason for that.

--
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
https://www.avg.com



Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How do I change Windows 7 starter to a regular Windows 7? XURick General 0 April 27th 11 06:08 PM
How do I change Windows 7 starter to a regular Windows 7? XURick General 0 April 7th 11 02:15 PM
How to format windows 7 ultimate without removing the windows itself? RobinJF General 2 March 26th 11 01:57 PM
Windows 7 YukonBound General 16 May 1st 10 02:23 PM
Why Windows XP should be available until Windows 7 Reginald P. Smithers III[_9_] General 4 February 25th 08 01:36 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:30 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2021 BoatBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Boats"

 

Copyright © 2017