Thread: Windows ARM
View Single Post
  #26   Report Post  
posted to rec.boats
external usenet poster

First recorded activity by BoatBanter: Jun 2016
Default Windows ARM

True North Wrote in message:r
On Saturday, 24 April 2021 at 10:29:54 UTC-3, True North wrote: On Saturday, 24 April 2021 at 09:43:55 UTC-3, undefined wrote: On 4/24/21 5:11 AM, Mr. Luddite wrote: On 4/23/2021 5:30 PM, True North wrote: On Friday, 23 April 2021 at 16:52:45 UTC-3, Mr. Luddite wrote: On 4/22/2021 5:38 PM, Keyser Söze wrote: On 4/22/21 5:30 PM, wrote: On Thu, 22 Apr 2021 15:45:04 -0400 (EDT), justan wrote: Keyser Söze Wrote in message:r So, I am playing around with a "new" version of Windoze 10 rewritten for ARM CPUs, and while it works ok, it is just as clunky as I remember Windoze 7 being. Just messing with it because there are a few computer games I like from a decade or so ago that were never neatly ported over to Macs directly or via STEAM. Windows is like WORD for Windows...just completely too complex and overblown. Blech. I'm running Windoze on my MacBook via Parallels 16.5, which does work nicely.-- * Lock up Trump and his family of grifters. * Ask Greg if he'd sell you an XP machine. I will give him one for the shipping but I thinned out the herd a while ago and most of them are gone. I have a W/98 laptop I am not using these days. It has a SCSI card and everything. ;-) I used to use it on my 11x14 scanner. I don't use that anymore. It is also my FAX machine. I don't use that either. OTOH I can boot up native DOS 6.3 and W/3.1 on this machine just by moving the boot pointer to my FAT drive. I still have an XP laptop but it is mostly to hook up to my outboard and cars. It has the software for OBDII and YDIS on it. I am not sure if that will run on 7 or not but I don't feel like screwing with something that works. Windoze 10 runs nicely under Parallels 16.5 on my MacBook Air. Runs really fast, too...the Parallels folks have stepped up to the plate. I still don't like Windoze as an OS because it is just too fattttt and clunky, but it is easy enough to setup and run. In fact, once I "told" Parallels to install the Windoze ARM file, the entire process was fast and required no attention from me. I'm only going to use the Windoze setup to run a few of my old, favorite games. Gave up my FAX machine years ago. I use FAXzero on the rare occasions three times a year when I have an outgoing FAX. My scanner uses USB...don't recall ever using a SCSI scanner. I bought Mrs.E a small HP laptop with Win 10 over a year ago. She never used it because all she uses now is her iPhone. She gave it back to me yesterday and I set it up in my shed. It had not been on for 444 days and needed all the updates since then that took almost three hours to download and install. Works great now. I have it hooked via HDMI to a 50" flatscreen on the shed wall. Bought a WiFi extender and get a super strong connection. Kinda nice because now I can watch all programming on Xfinity Stream, NetFlix and Amazon Prime along with browsing and reading news and stuff. Other than the long updating process, it works great. -- This email has been checked for viruses by AVG. https://www.avg.com Does that shed have minimal heat all winter? I'd be concerned about dampness up here. One of my projects last summer was to totally insulate it. It's a fairly large shed, big enough for work benches plus a built-in desk with a large flat panel TV on the wall. I bought a 20,000 BTU propane heater that operates on a thermostat. Keeps the shed nice and toasty in the winter, even with outdoor temps in single digits. I don't leave the heater on when I am not in the shed but it only takes 10-15 minutes to raise the temp up to 70 (F) or more. Because of the insulation, it doesn't lose everything at night when the heater is off. Thats great. If your weather ever gets as bad as it does in Halifax, you'll be ready for it. ;-) -- No more bull**** Duh! Richard probably gets a bit more privacy of the colder weather than we do. Since we're almost surrounded by the Atlantic, our weather is moderated by it. Dampness and high winds are probably worse up here. Snow, on the other hand, might be similar since most of our storms seem to come up from the Boston states.What the 'ell? Spell check put "privacy" in. Must be a repugnant program

Spela cheka throw in "Boston states" too? Dummy!
--
Thanks Donald. Do you miss him yet?

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
https://piaohong.s3-us-west-2.amazon...net/index.html