[email protected] 345...@gmail.com is offline

Default Windows ARM

On Friday, April 23, 2021 at 6:54:14 PM UTC-4, Bill wrote:
Keyser Soze wrote:
Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 4/22/2021 5:38 PM, Keyser Söze wrote:
On 4/22/21 5:30 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 22 Apr 2021 15:45:04 -0400 (EDT), justan wrote:

Keyser Söze Wrote in message:r
So, I am playing around with a "new" version of Windoze 10 rewritten
for ARM CPUs, and while it works ok, it is just as clunky as I
remember Windoze 7 being. Just messing with it because there are a
few computer games I like from a decade or so ago that were never
neatly ported over to Macs directly or via STEAM. Windows is like
WORD for Windows...just completely too complex and overblown. Blech.
I'm running Windoze on my MacBook via Parallels 16.5, which does work
nicely.-- * Lock up Trump and his family of grifters. *

Ask Greg if he'd sell you an XP machine.

I will give him one for the shipping but I thinned out the herd a
while ago and most of them are gone.

I have a W/98 laptop I am not using these days. It has a SCSI card and
everything. ;-)
I used to use it on my 11x14 scanner. I don't use that anymore. It is
also my FAX machine. I don't use that either.

OTOH I can boot up native DOS 6.3 and W/3.1 on this machine just by
moving the boot pointer to my FAT drive.

I still have an XP laptop but it is mostly to hook up to my outboard
and cars. It has the software for OBDII and YDIS on it. I am not sure
if that will run on 7 or not but I don't feel like screwing with
something that works.

Windoze 10 runs nicely under Parallels 16.5 on my MacBook Air. Runs
really fast, too...the Parallels folks have stepped up to the plate. I
still don't like Windoze as an OS because it is just too fattttt and
clunky, but it is easy enough to setup and run. In fact, once I "told"
Parallels to install the Windoze ARM file, the entire process was fast
and required no attention from me. I'm only going to use the Windoze
setup to run a few of my old, favorite games.

Gave up my FAX machine years ago. I use FAXzero on the rare occasions
three times a year when I have an outgoing FAX. My scanner uses
USB...don't recall ever using a SCSI scanner.

I bought Mrs.E a small HP laptop with Win 10 over a year ago. She never
used it because all she uses now is her iPhone.

She gave it back to me yesterday and I set it up in my shed. It had not
been on for 444 days and needed all the updates since then that took
almost three hours to download and install.

Works great now. I have it hooked via HDMI to a 50" flatscreen on the
shed wall. Bought a WiFi extender and get a super strong connection.

Kinda nice because now I can watch all programming on Xfinity Stream,
NetFlix and Amazon Prime along with browsing and reading news and stuff.

Other than the long updating process, it works great.

Typically, a full OS update on a Mac takes a half hour or less.

But if you add in all the Apps, a lot longer.

He's not really talking about a "full" OS update, that's just a small, incremental update on a Mac. Luddite was updating a PC that hadn't been updated for nearly 1-1/2 years. Huge difference. PC incremental updates are 2-5 minutes, and a huge OS release is 20-30 minutes.
Having worked with both platforms, side-by-side in corporate environment, a Mac is only marginally better about needing updates. That's driven by the fact the PC's are targeted continually by hackers, and Mac's aren't. Mac users are in the extreme minority.

"Statistics show that Microsoft Windows has approximately 91% of the market share, while the Apple Mac OS has around 5% of the market share. The other 4% is owned by other operating systems such as Linux."

Why would a hacker waste their time on the Mac platform? Write a hack that can hit 91% of the market, or one that can get just 5%?

And why the huge disparity in market share? In the past, Macs had better graphics and were superior game machines, but at a hefty cost. If you needed to do work, PC's were your obvious choice. Now the graphics performance is even, so there's not much of a reason to go with a Mac anymore, except to be different. Hell, people with Macs are running Windows on them so they can run Windows programs! Can you say "duh"?