Default Excellent graph on coronavirus

On Wed, 11 Mar 2020 18:58:02 -0400, Keyser Soze
wrote:

On 3/11/20 6:48 PM, Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 3/11/2020 6:33 PM, Keyser Soze wrote:
On 3/11/20 4:36 PM, Bill wrote:
Adorable Deplorable wrote:
On Wed, 11 Mar 2020 17:57:57 -0000 (UTC), Bill
wrote:

Mr. Luddite wrote:

This is a simple and excellent graph that illustrates how
the response to the coronavirus issue is being handled.

The idea that it can be 100% contained is unrealistic.
It's going to spread .... as it has.

The goal is to control as much as possible the rate
that it spreads so the healthcare facilities and systems
are not overwhelmed.

The peak (in orange) is what happened in China.
The goal of the CDC is the second peak.

Despite all the hype, fears and finger-pointing
(political) this graph is spot on.

https://funkyimg.com/i/331q1.jpg

Heard this morning news that the death rate is 10x flu rate.

Based on what? There is no good estimate of the denominator. For many
folks, the symptoms are no
worse than a cold, and the illness never gets reported. Of course,
those
facts don't assist in
Trump-bashing, so not mentioned.
--

Freedom Isn't Free!

Faux news?Â*Â* Was a news report.Â* The flu this year seems to be nasty
version.Â* Wife seems to have flu, and we had flu shots.Â* Doctor on video
chat figured flu.Â*Â* COVID is a version of SARS, so most likely the death
rate is higher.Â* And older people have more breathing problems anyway.

COVID-19 seems a lot more serious than the flu, especially for older
people and those with certain already existing conditions.
Pooh-poohing it, as some Trumpsters do, is just more of their absurdity.

I've never tried "video chat" to consult with a doctor. Are you
pleased with the experience and results? If I visit my doc for any
reason, I get prodded and poked, my BP, Blood Oxy are checked and
she/he listens to my heart/lungs. Hard to do that from afar, and what
if you need a blood test?

I was notified that I can opt for a video appointment at my next
scheduled visit to the VA.Â* Normally I pick up "slips" at the VA
clinic and take them to Quest for blood to be drawn and analyzed.
Quest electronically reports back to my primary care with the results
within a day.

For the video appointment option, the VA will contact Quest authorizing
the blood work to be done.Â* I just go to Quest, give the blood, then
sign in for the video thing when scheduled.

My Primary Care person wanted to do this a few months ago just to see
how I was doing with some medication she prescribed.Â* I told her I'd
have to take the electrical tape off the camera on my computer.
She laughed and said she'd just give me a telephone call instead.

LabCorp has a small office and a registered nurse stationed within the
offices of the medical practice I use. Literally across a parking lot,
LabCorp has a pretty big lab it uses to service various health
facilities in the area, so the practice I see gets results the same day
if the tests are taken in the morning. There are a lot of medical
practitioners within a mile or two miles of our regional hospital.

My plan covers both but I prefer Quest. That may just be the staff
here tho.
I see a day real soon where Quest/LabCorp is just a glory hole. You
drive up, stick your arm through the hole as the positively
pressurized room exhales on you. They hose your arm down, take the
blood and you drive off.

On Wed, 11 Mar 2020 23:45:04 -0000 (UTC), Bill

On Wed, 11 Mar 2020 16:53:34 -0400, Adorable Deplorable
wrote:

Mr. Luddite wrote:

[...]

Faux news? Was a news report. The flu this year seems to be nasty
version. Wife seems to have flu, and we had flu shots. Doctor on video
chat figured flu. COVID is a version of SARS, so most likely the death
rate is higher. And older people have more breathing problems anyway.

We're losing 4-10K per month to the flu. Doesn't make the news though.
Not a good source of
Trump-bashing.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden...-estimates.htm

Maybe it is time to go rent a 300 cu/ft oxygen tank and buy a medical
regulator or two. Having oxygen might make the difference between
living or dying if you get sick. I have a full 80 and a 20 in the
garage but I am not sure how long they last. I do have the regulators
and flow gauges too.

Better have some strong friends for a 300 tank.

It is about 140 pounds empty, more with the cap and gas but I have a
hand truck. We had one for Helium at the shop. I moved it around all
the time.
I did a little cyphering and it looks like a 300 would be about 51000
cu/ft at STP. That is 1.444 liters so even at 6-7 L/M that is over
1000 days so I may be overshooting a bit ;-)

My 80 should last a couple hundred days.

Mr. Luddite wrote:

[...]

I have 80’s for my O2 and argon. Looking for a user 80 at a decent price
for argon/co2. I exchange tanks anyway.

Mr. Luddite wrote:

[...]

But look at the percentage. 34 million cases with 20 thousand deaths is
.05%. cOVID-19 is 1-8% deaths. 34 million at 2% would be 680,000 deaths.

You don't know the actual denominator. There are many covid cases that don't have enough symptoms to
see a doctor or get diagnosed as a carrier.

“Early estimates of the coronavirus death rate from China, the epicenter of the outbreak, have been
around 2 percent. But a new report on 1,099 cases from many parts of China, published on Friday in
The New England Journal of Medicine, finds a lower rate: 1.4 percent. The coronavirus death rate may
be even lower, if — as most experts suspect — there are many mild or symptom-?free cases that have
not been detected. The true death rate could turn out to be similar to that of a severe seasonal
flu, below 1 percent, according to an editorial published in the journal by Dr. Anthony S. Fauci and
Dr. H. Clifford Lane, of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, and Dr. Robert
R. Redfield, director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.”

https://www.cato.org/blog/covid-19-d...-who-estimates
--

Freedom Isn't Free!

On Wed, 11 Mar 2020 18:33:10 -0400, Keyser Soze wrote:

Do some reading, dip****:

Mr. Luddite wrote:

[...]

If you already have a respiratory problem, that may not be a bad idea.
--

Freedom Isn't Free!

Mr. Luddite wrote:

[...]

There's more to consider than just using a medical regulator. Oxygen
for medical use has a chain of custody and is certified to come from
certified storage tanks that have impurities below an acceptable level.

Industrial oxygen (like used for welding, etc.) is not certified to
be free of contaminates or from medically certified storage tanks.

https://www.avg.com

Mr. Luddite wrote:

[...]

My comment was only for Greg! He is surely an expert on his personal oxygen supply!
--

Freedom Isn't Free!

Mr. Luddite wrote:

[...]

But if needed, desperate times?

Mr. Luddite wrote:

[...]

They sell medical grade O2 at AirGas. From a practical sense, oxygen
is a pretty clean gas anyway. It is not like CO2 that is pretty dirty
as a general rule. It's not like the air we breathe is all that pure
anyway.