Default Software to graph NMEA Windspeed

Hi,

Does anyone know of some software to log and graph windspeed and direction from a NMEA
wind instrument??

I would also like to have the ability to store the image of the graph as a JPG or similar
file, as well as control over the logging.

Cheers

Glen

I could add a graph of that type to my cpRepeater program in about 20
minutes, since I already have graphs like course, speed, and depth.
But cpRepeater would probably be overkill for your needs and isn't
primarily a graphing tool; the graphs aren't what I'd call
presentation quality. I'll likely add everything you asked for except
jpg save to the next free maintenance release, though. It seems like
an attractive feature. I'll have to think about the save feature...

Do you want to do this occasionally, or all the time? It makes a
difference. If you just want to do it occasionally, you could live
with a more manual procedure. I'm pretty sure I've seen at least one
freeware NMEA to disk logger. Given the data, you could graph it with
a spreadsheet package, which would also have the avility to save the
graph. For instance, cpRepeater does log the data you want to disk
(at intervals you set) as a file you could easily import into a
spreadsheet and graph to your heart's content. Then, you could save
the graph or even capture it with a freeware screen capture utility
like AnalogX Capture.

That said, what you're looking for should be pretty simple to build;
I'll be surprised if you don't get a pointer to something that will
work. If not, I might knock something out when I have time. Is this
a home use thing or is it for the boat?

Glen "Wiley" Wilson usenet1 SPAMNIX at worldwidewiley dot com
To reply, lose the capitals and do the obvious.

Take a look at cpRepeater, an NMEA data integrator, repeater, and
logger at http://www.worldwidewiley.com/

This is for a base station wind instrument which I'm putting together for a sailing club.
They have the NMEA instrument and have asked that I can put nice pretty graphs of wind
speed and direction up on their website. I'm thinking of just writing some code myself to
take the input and create a text file with it and have that FTP'd to their webspace and
run CGI scripts to graph it.

This might make it a bit clearer!
I hope

On Sat, 04 Oct 2003 16:59:10 GMT, "Glen Wiley Wilson"
wrote:

[...]

Glen

On Sun, 05 Oct 2003 05:43:22 GMT, J tempted
fate with:

This is for a base station wind instrument which I'm putting together for a sailing club.
They have the NMEA instrument and have asked that I can put nice pretty graphs of wind
speed and direction up on their website. I'm thinking of just writing some code myself to
take the input and create a text file with it and have that FTP'd to their webspace and
run CGI scripts to graph it.

This might make it a bit clearer!
I hope

Interesting. While we mull that over, you might be interested in:

http://ompl.marine.usf.edu/PORTS/g8726520.html

It might give you some ideas. This is data from sensors a couple of
hundred yards from my marina. They have data from other sensors
spread around the bay. I don't know how they are doing it, though.

Glen "Wiley" Wilson usenet1 SPAMNIX at worldwidewiley dot com
To reply, lose the capitals and do the obvious.

Take a look at cpRepeater, an NMEA data integrator, repeater, and
logger at http://www.worldwidewiley.com/

Jim Woodward

I have Visual Basic subroutines for sorting out NEMA messages into the
relevant data (wind, position, depth, etc.) and logging it which I'd
be happy to send, no charge, no guarantees. (code, not executables --
you'd need VB to compile and run it.

As for graphs, I'd suggest pulling the log up into Excel -- you can
then easily produce any graph you want.

Jim Woodward
www.mvFintry.com

wrote:

[...]

Willem Amels

Hello,

We have a tool under development which graphs wind speed and direction and
much more. You can set the time span from 1 minute until 16 hours and the
program offers many options for filtering and averaging the data.

If you combine it with a screen capture facility and automatic FTP it may
do the job for you.

You can download a 30 day trial version
at:
http://www.nauticis.com/download/supernova.rar

Willem Amels
Glenn Ashmore

While you guys are working on programs, I want to see one that produces
polars from actual data. Say you would set the sea state and then when
you get the boat really cooking you hit a button and it records the wind
data and boat speed. Then it would sort it all out and plot polars for
each sea state.

Another option would be to just constantly record the data and then use
peak boat speeds maintained for more than say 30 seconds to select the
points to plot.

It would be really interesting to invite a hotshot crew of racing
sailors to sail a boat and produce a set of polars then do the same with
your regular crew and try to match the results. It would be a great way
to refine sail trim and helm techniques.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Joakim Majander

J wrote in message . ..
This is for a base station wind instrument which I'm putting together for a sailing club.
They have the NMEA instrument and have asked that I can put nice pretty graphs of wind
speed and direction up on their website. I'm thinking of just writing some code myself to
take the input and create a text file with it and have that FTP'd to their webspace and
run CGI scripts to graph it.

This might make it a bit clearer!
I hope

You can find the data structure of NMEA from many places in the webb.
Just do your own coding for reading the serial port. After saving the
log into a file, you can use tools like gnuplot to automatically make
a graph from the last N hours in the format you like. With gnuplot,
you can make many formats from a command line.

Joakim