Larry

Default Transmitting different versions of NMEA data

There may be another "hidden feature" in that radio's buttons to
change it to v1.5 we're not told about. Icoms have lots of
multi-button stuff they don't tell mere mortals about.

Fire off a message to Icom asking them how to make that model number
radio operate with NMEA 0183 version 1.5 data statements in your
system. Explain that it won't read the data the way it is. Send an
email to:

They told me about lots of hidden controls in our new M802 HF SSB and
M602 VHF radios I'm installing on the new boat. (To make the M802
work on the ham bands and transmit on all freqs hold down MODE +
NUMBER 2 + TX buttons for 3 seconds, for instance).

You may have to hold down some buttons while turning the power on to
switch its mode, something like that. He'll tell you how to do
it.....email 'em.

On 9 Aug 2003 01:57:05 -0700,
(LADYHAWKE) wrote:

(Larry) wrote in message ...
You don't need it. V2.0 devices will read V1.5 data statements. Just
connect the data out of your Garmin 128 to the data in on the radio.
It only needs to be a listener for it to work.

Try it....

Larry-
I appreciate the repsonse, and that was my original thinking. But the
ICOM VHF does not appear to receive the v1.5 format. When it's
connected, I can't get the "gps" signal to appear, nor any position
data on the vhf...

-Sean

Larry

Extremely intelligent life must exist in the universe.
You can tell because they never tried to contact us.

Glen

Sean -

Hopefully both pieces of equipment list the NMEA sentences they support. If
your GPS puts out the sentence the VHF wants, the release should not be an
issue. You may have a problem with the signal itself, but I'd be surprised. My
Garmin drives a TTL level signal, which is not the same as the RS-422 signal
the 2.0 spec requires, but it works fine. Make sure your Garmin is set to NMEA
mode. Most Garmins default to the proprietary Garmin mode, which would
cause the problem you see.

Glen Wilson

On 9 Aug 2003 01:57:05 -0700, (LADYHAWKE) tempted fate with:

(Larry) wrote in message ...
You don't need it. V2.0 devices will read V1.5 data statements. Just
connect the data out of your Garmin 128 to the data in on the radio.
It only needs to be a listener for it to work.

Try it....

Larry-
I appreciate the repsonse, and that was my original thinking. But the
ICOM VHF does not appear to receive the v1.5 format. When it's
connected, I can't get the "gps" signal to appear, nor any position
data on the vhf...

-Sean

Glen "Wiley" Wilson usenet1 at worldwidewiley dot com
LADYHAWKE

"Glen Wiley Wilson" wrote in message . ..
Sean -

Hopefully both pieces of equipment list the NMEA sentences they support. If
your GPS puts out the sentence the VHF wants, the release should not be an
issue. You may have a problem with the signal itself, but I'd be surprised. My
Garmin drives a TTL level signal, which is not the same as the RS-422 signal
the 2.0 spec requires, but it works fine. Make sure your Garmin is set to NMEA
mode. Most Garmins default to the proprietary Garmin mode, which would
cause the problem you see.

Glen Wilson

Thanks for the feedback. Icom was not very helpful merely saying the
"Sorry, the M402 only works with v2.0" suggesting I "contact my local
marine dealer". I don't understand why they can't answer a specific
technical question unless they really don't know. Anyway, I'm back to
square one and I guessing my "black box" does not exist, so am
considering wiring my 12xl directly to my vhf or looking for a
used/new Garmin 17N receiver...
Anyone else have any ideas?
-Sean