LADYHAWKE

Default Transmitting different versions of NMEA data

"Glen Wiley Wilson" wrote in message . ..
Sean -

Hopefully both pieces of equipment list the NMEA sentences they support. If
your GPS puts out the sentence the VHF wants, the release should not be an
issue. You may have a problem with the signal itself, but I'd be surprised. My
Garmin drives a TTL level signal, which is not the same as the RS-422 signal
the 2.0 spec requires, but it works fine. Make sure your Garmin is set to NMEA
mode. Most Garmins default to the proprietary Garmin mode, which would
cause the problem you see.

Glen Wilson

Thanks for the feedback. Icom was not very helpful merely saying the
"Sorry, the M402 only works with v2.0" suggesting I "contact my local
marine dealer". I don't understand why they can't answer a specific
technical question unless they really don't know. Anyway, I'm back to
square one and I guessing my "black box" does not exist, so am
considering wiring my 12xl directly to my vhf or looking for a
used/new Garmin 17N receiver...
Anyone else have any ideas?
-Sean