Steve

Default Yeoman Plotter questions:

I picked up a Yeoman Plotter on ebay and although the manuals are pretty
good on the operation they do lack on the technical stuff.

I need to know the Pin Out of the 4 pin data connecter.. The unit came with
a new OEM data cable with the corrrect 4 pin plug, however it only has two
wires. These are labeled as RED = Data + and BLACK = Data - ..

I have hooked it up with the assumption that the Data + is the NMEA In and
the Data - is the signal ground. It works fine for the GPS input..

However, What about the NMEA Out that it is suppose to have?? I have to
assume that the NMEA Out is on the connector but this cable was made up just
for the NMEA In.

Only two other pins to experiment with but I don't have the test gear to
check for the correct output..

Anyone have any experience with this or any suggestions??

Larry, you were telling us about hooking one up on Lionheart.. Could you
comment??

Also, I'm wondering it if is ok to mark on the plastic chart cover sheet to
maintain a plot as I would on a paper chart??Would pencil erase ok on that
stuff??

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Larry W4CSC

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 19:48:08 -0800, "Steve" wrote:

I picked up a Yeoman Plotter on ebay and although the manuals are pretty
good on the operation they do lack on the technical stuff.

I need to know the Pin Out of the 4 pin data connecter.. The unit came with
a new OEM data cable with the corrrect 4 pin plug, however it only has two
wires. These are labeled as RED = Data + and BLACK = Data - ..

Only 4 wires?? They must have cut some off for a specific GPS-only,
Data In ONLY connection. Ok, let's look at the Yeoman connections on:
http://www.yeomanuk.co.uk/tech/yds062.doc
Open it with Wordpad so you can see the graphics.

White = NMEA IN A (+)
Blue = NMEA IN B (-)
Oh, look! It has a REAL NMEA input!....balanced line!

Green = NMEA OUT A (+)
Thin Black = NMEA OUT B (-) which is also GROUND (dammit) and the
negative DC input from your power panel negative bus
Red = +12VDC from your DC panel breaker/switch. (Yeoman has no power
switch I know of)

This OEM data cable must not be a Yeoman cable but something made up
for a specific GPS to input data to! The colors and cabling above is
the cabling that came from Yeoman with every Sport XL I ever saw.

Blue and thin Black are, unfortunately, connected together in
Lionheart's network because of so many single ended data connections
already on the multiplexer's output, the main data to everything NMEA.
White is connected to our master NMEA data output and green is hooked
to one of the multiplexer's input ports so the Yeoman can talk to
every chart plotter on the boat for waypoint input. Yeoman has an
inline fuse holder to protect the red +12V thin wiring from shorts.

The Navigator Pro is wired the same way with the same wiring code. It
doesn't have a connector hanging out, either...just wires.

I think someone put that connector on it to connect it for input from
a GPS receiver of some sort. Cut the plug off and you'll probably
find these wires in this color code with the missing ones taped off or
just cut.

B & G owns Yeoman now. Simrad owns B & G, recently. Yeoman user
manuals are on:
http://www.bandg.com/techsupport.htm
Where all the B&G manuals are online free.
You can contact them about Yeoman matters on:

in the USA. We have all B&G Network instruments and Network Pilot
autopilot. First rate stuff from a first rate company. They've been
really helpful every time I've had a problem.

If you have to replace the main interface cable, you'll find it
connects with a 6 pin board connector B&G will supply to the main
computer board, which is mated to the main plotting signal board
inside your Yeoman, in a plastic box that comes apart. To replace it
is easy. separate the box containing the computer board where the
cable goes through a hole, unplug the old cable and plug in the new
one NOTING WHICH COLORS GO WHERE BETWEEN CABLES. You can plug it in
backwards if you try really hard. You can also screw up by getting it
one pin off if you aren't careful. It's not rocket science to
replace. B&G will sell you a whole computer board, amazingly enough,
for $75. Ours was fried and I replaced it. It just plugs into the
main plotter board with pin connectors and is held in place with a few
screws. The puck is the big plug to the main computer board....

Ask me anytime for more help on this thread. Text out your email
address if you want to take this to email....

Yeoman is a class device. I was skeptical until sailing with
ours....(c;

[...]

Steve

"Larry W4CSC" wrote in message
Only 4 wires?? They must have cut some off for a specific GPS-only,
Data In ONLY connection. Ok, let's look at the Yeoman connections on:
http://www.yeomanuk.co.uk/tech/yds062.doc
Open it with Wordpad so you can see the graphics.

I already had that link and think that is the connector pin out for a later
version..

The data cable I have is labeled Yeoman, is virgin (never modified) four pin
plug that mates with a data connector on the back.. There is also a power
connector and a power switch. No fuse (manual says the fuse is internal). I
don't think anything has ever been modified since the connector and switch
layout are just as shown in the manual..

I think I may have to open the case to see where each of the remaining data
connector pins go to.. Might be easier than trial and error..

I might follow up on your links to BandGusa and see if my mother board and
firmware needs upgrading..

Thanks

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

John Weston

"Steve" wrote in message =
news =20
Also, I'm wondering it if is ok to mark on the plastic chart cover =

sheet to
maintain a plot as I would on a paper chart??Would pencil erase ok on =

that
stuff??
=20

Steve, I wouldn't use an ordinary pencil since it may permanently mark =
the soft plastic. I use a chinagraph pencil on my Yeoman. (Are they =
found under another name in the USA? If so, see =
http://www.armadilloart.com/chinagraph_pencils.htm). Chinagraph pencils =
are soft enough to write on plastic without any permanent groove being =
made.

John

Ken Heaton

"John Weston" wrote in message

"Steve" wrote in message
news
Also, I'm wondering it if is ok to mark on the plastic chart cover sheet

maintain a plot as I would on a paper chart??Would pencil erase ok on that
stuff??

Steve, I wouldn't use an ordinary pencil since it may permanently mark the
soft plastic. I use a chinagraph pencil on my Yeoman. (Are they found under
another name in the USA? If so, see
http://www.armadilloart.com/chinagraph_pencils.htm). Chinagraph pencils are
soft enough to write on plastic without any permanent groove being made.

John

We often call them "Grease Pencils" in Canada.
--
Ken Heaton & Anne Tobin
Cape Breton Island, Canada

Larry W4CSC

I think the early Yeomans were only plotters of GPS data. They had no
NMEA output data.

This can easily be corrected by buying the $75 replacement computer
board from B&G, like we did to replace our fried one. Call B&G
support and give them your model/serial number. I bet the new
computer board will plug right in. Make sure you tell the man you
need the board sent with the full new EPROM which is the master
program and a new data cable with these wires on it.

Changing the board is simply pulling the plastic box apart on the
bottom left side of the plotter, unplugging the cables from 2
connectors MARKING HOW THE PUCK PLUGS IN, PLEASE. Unscrew the
computer board from the main big board's pins pulling straight out
while wiggling it around to get it loose, then carefully plugging the
new board onto the pins sticking out of the main plotting board. Plug
the puck and the new interface cable in and you have a new yeoman with
the latest firmware, a $600 gadget.