Default Quarterly generator run

On Tue, 12 Feb 2019 17:42:11 -0500, John H.
wrote:

On Tue, 12 Feb 2019 17:39:32 -0500, wrote:

On Tue, 12 Feb 2019 15:50:15 -0500, John H.
wrote:

On Tue, 12 Feb 2019 15:26:33 -0500, Keyser Soze wrote:

On 2/12/19 3:19 PM, Tim wrote:

2:14 PMTrue North
Good point Tim.
Not a lot of vehicles use high test today. Who knows how fresh it is in the big tanks. Maybe I'll ignore the dealers advice and use Stabil treated low octane.

I’m not saying it’s bad or worthless, but I think that stabil, just keeps the gas from rotting as fast and depositing junk in the fuel system. Don’t know one way or another, but my dad would always mix a bit of 2-cycle or Marvel Mystery oil to his lawnmower gas before he parked it for the winter.

My generator runs for 10 minutes every week, and it uses propane, which
does not deteriorate like gasoline.

But no one was discussing your generator.

===

Or propane.

Of course those are the advantages of propane generators: No
deterioration of fuel over time, and the second being no carburetor
clogging.

---
https://www.avg.com

They do make a nice propane conversion kit for the Honda EU2000:

https://hutchmountain.com/

That does look nice but they just moved the "dangling regulator" to
the tank.
It looks like the same basic deal I have on mine assembled from US
Carburation. I think they all use the same off the shelf regulator and
the only special part is the metering block.
I wonder how long your 2000 will run on ~3 gallons of propane.
I have mine hooked to a big in ground tank.
I still like the gasoline option when the propane runs out.

On Tuesday, February 12, 2019 at 7:51:28 PM UTC-5, Alex wrote:
Its Me wrote:
On Tuesday, February 12, 2019 at 3:14:48 PM UTC-5, True North wrote:
Good point Tim.
Not a lot of vehicles use high test today. Who knows how fresh it is in the big tanks. Maybe I'll ignore the dealers advice and use Stabil treated low octane.

The last 6 vehicles we've had all required "high test" (91 or better).

Same for our last 8 and our current two. You must lease, too.

No. My wife's previous job gave her company vehicles, and they were very generous. She's had Lexus, Audi, Mercedes, etc. I've had a few nice ones as well, including Porsche, Audi. Corvette, etc. Now in a Range Rover. More than 6 in recent years, but I didn't feel like doing the deep dive. I don't lease, but instead buy used with 40k miles or so at half price, and turn them over when the warranty runs out. I let the first owners take the depreciation, then the next deal with maintenance issues that may crop up later. It's working so far.

True North wrote:
Put in about three quarters a tank of fresh high test mixed with Stabil.
Running now with a load on it until it stops.
Disappointed it took about 7 or 8 pulls to start. Sounds like the older
models start up on the 2nd pull.

My Yamaha would hardly start last year. Had to dip the carb, to remove all
the gunk from stale gas. And had not been that long since it was run.

On Wed, 13 Feb 2019 03:57:49 -0000 (UTC), Bill
wrote:

True North wrote:
Put in about three quarters a tank of fresh high test mixed with Stabil.
Running now with a load on it until it stops.
Disappointed it took about 7 or 8 pulls to start. Sounds like the older
models start up on the 2nd pull.

My Yamaha would hardly start last year. Had to dip the carb, to remove all
the gunk from stale gas. And had not been that long since it was run.

My generator wasn't ever started in about 15 years from the factory
but it fired right up when I put gas in it. I am hoping after running
on propane for 4 days after I ran the gas out, it will be the same.
I may drag a propane tank out and fire it up to be sure around July or
August.

wrote:

True North wrote:
Put in about three quarters a tank of fresh high test mixed with Stabil.
Running now with a load on it until it stops.
Disappointed it took about 7 or 8 pulls to start. Sounds like the older
models start up on the 2nd pull.

My Yamaha would hardly start last year. Had to dip the carb, to remove all
the gunk from stale gas. And had not been that long since it was run.

My generator wasn't ever started in about 15 years from the factory
but it fired right up when I put gas in it. I am hoping after running
on propane for 4 days after I ran the gas out, it will be the same.
I may drag a propane tank out and fire it up to be sure around July or
August.

I think I did not run out the carb when I stored it away was the main
problem. Seems to start easy now, but I turn off the tank and let it burn
up the carb gas.

On 2/12/2019 7:51 PM, Alex wrote:

Its Me wrote:
On Tuesday, February 12, 2019 at 3:14:48 PM UTC-5, True North wrote:
Good point Tim.
Not a lot of vehicles use high test today. Who knows how fresh it is
in the big tanks. Maybe I'll ignore the dealers advice and use Stabil
treated low octane.

The last 6 vehicles we've had all required "high test" (91 or better).

Same for our last 8 and our current two.Â* You must lease, too.

My little scooter requires 91 or higher octane. The motorcycle
is fine with 87.

---
https://www.avg.com

True North wrote:
Put in about three quarters a tank of fresh high test mixed with Stabil.
Running now with a load on it until it stops.
Disappointed it took about 7 or 8 pulls to start. Sounds like the older
models start up on the 2nd pull.

My Yamaha would hardly start last year. Had to dip the carb, to remove all
the gunk from stale gas. And had not been that long since it was run.

How did you 'dip the carb'? One of these?

https://www.harborfreight.com/25-lit...ner-63256.html

I've got a chain saw that has been sitting for a few years.

On Wed, 13 Feb 2019 02:27:45 -0500, "Mr. Luddite" wrote:

On 2/12/2019 7:51 PM, Alex wrote:

Its Me wrote:
On Tuesday, February 12, 2019 at 3:14:48 PM UTC-5, True North wrote:
Good point Tim.
Not a lot of vehicles use high test today. Who knows how fresh it is
in the big tanks. Maybe I'll ignore the dealers advice and use Stabil
treated low octane.
The last 6 vehicles we've had all required "high test" (91 or better).

Same for our last 8 and our current two.* You must lease, too.

My little scooter requires 91 or higher octane. The motorcycle
is fine with 87.

---
https://www.avg.com

My Guzzi takes the highest octane I can find. Don't know what the scooter will take yet. Much newer,
so maybe it'll burn regular.

True North wrote:
Put in about three quarters a tank of fresh high test mixed with Stabil.
Running now with a load on it until it stops.
Disappointed it took about 7 or 8 pulls to start. Sounds like the older
models start up on the 2nd pull.

My Yamaha would hardly start last year. Had to dip the carb, to remove all
the gunk from stale gas. And had not been that long since it was run.

How did you 'dip the carb'? One of these?

https://www.harborfreight.com/25-lit...ner-63256.html

I've got a chain saw that has been sitting for a few years.

https://www.amazon.com/Berryman-Prod...a-714363490952

There are cheaper sources. I think I got the last can at Walmart.com.

On Wed, 13 Feb 2019 05:37:41 -0000 (UTC), Bill

wrote:

True North wrote:
Put in about three quarters a tank of fresh high test mixed with Stabil.
Running now with a load on it until it stops.
Disappointed it took about 7 or 8 pulls to start. Sounds like the older
models start up on the 2nd pull.

My Yamaha would hardly start last year. Had to dip the carb, to remove all
the gunk from stale gas. And had not been that long since it was run.

My generator wasn't ever started in about 15 years from the factory
but it fired right up when I put gas in it. I am hoping after running
on propane for 4 days after I ran the gas out, it will be the same.
I may drag a propane tank out and fire it up to be sure around July or
August.

I think I did not run out the carb when I stored it away was the main
problem. Seems to start easy now, but I turn off the tank and let it burn
up the carb gas.

It is usually a good idea to loosen that bolt on the bottom of the
bowl to let the rest drip out. That also gets rid of any water that
may have accumulated if you are a fanatic about running Rec90.
Water is not really an issue with E10 as long as you keep the gas
turning over.
On my old trash pump I had the bottom of the float bowl rust out
because some water accumulated there.
JB Weld to the rescue!

Nautical Quarterly Price? [email protected] General 0 August 31st 13 06:03 PM
Generator GuzzisRule General 537 January 6th 13 03:38 AM
New Generator Frogwatch[_2_] General 77 July 3rd 11 03:34 PM
MOMA Spring Quarterly 1989 Bob Crantz ASA 1 January 26th 06 09:21 PM
WTB in FL Generator Frank Electronics 0 March 10th 04 11:01 PM