BoatBanter.com

-   -   Quarterly generator run (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/181627-quarterly-generator-run.html)

True North[_2_] February 12th 19 07:59 PM

Quarterly generator run

Put in about three quarters a tank of fresh high test mixed with Stabil. Running now with a load on it until it stops.
Disappointed it took about 7 or 8 pulls to start. Sounds like the older models start up on the 2nd pull.

Tim February 12th 19 08:11 PM

Quarterly generator run

True North
Put in about three quarters a tank of fresh high test mixed with Stabil. Running now with a load on it until it stops.
Disappointed it took about 7 or 8 pulls to start. Sounds like the older models start up on the 2nd pull.

Today’s fuels stake out so easily. I put gas in my tractor about 3 months ago (cheap 87) and it takes a bit to get it running in this weather.. If I put really fresh hi octane in it, it’d help.

I’ll peobably do that after I blade my lane and get the tank down about 1/2-3/4 used up. That oughta help a bit.

True North[_2_] February 12th 19 08:14 PM

Quarterly generator run

Good point Tim.
Not a lot of vehicles use high test today. Who knows how fresh it is in the big tanks. Maybe I'll ignore the dealers advice and use Stabil treated low octane.

Tim February 12th 19 08:19 PM

Quarterly generator run

2:14 PMTrue North
Good point Tim.
Not a lot of vehicles use high test today. Who knows how fresh it is in the big tanks. Maybe I'll ignore the dealers advice and use Stabil treated low octane.

I’m not saying it’s bad or worthless, but I think that stabil, just keeps the gas from rotting as fast and depositing junk in the fuel system. Don’t know one way or another, but my dad would always mix a bit of 2-cycle or Marvel Mystery oil to his lawnmower gas before he parked it for the winter.

Keyser Soze February 12th 19 08:26 PM

Quarterly generator run

On 2/12/19 3:19 PM, Tim wrote:

2:14 PMTrue North
Good point Tim.
Not a lot of vehicles use high test today. Who knows how fresh it is in the big tanks. Maybe I'll ignore the dealers advice and use Stabil treated low octane.

I’m not saying it’s bad or worthless, but I think that stabil, just keeps the gas from rotting as fast and depositing junk in the fuel system. Don’t know one way or another, but my dad would always mix a bit of 2-cycle or Marvel Mystery oil to his lawnmower gas before he parked it for the winter.

My generator runs for 10 minutes every week, and it uses propane, which
does not deteriorate like gasoline.

Its Me February 12th 19 08:29 PM

Quarterly generator run

On Tuesday, February 12, 2019 at 3:14:48 PM UTC-5, True North wrote:
Good point Tim.
Not a lot of vehicles use high test today. Who knows how fresh it is in the big tanks. Maybe I'll ignore the dealers advice and use Stabil treated low octane.

The last 6 vehicles we've had all required "high test" (91 or better).

John H.[_5_] February 12th 19 08:50 PM

Quarterly generator run

On Tue, 12 Feb 2019 15:26:33 -0500, Keyser Soze wrote:

On 2/12/19 3:19 PM, Tim wrote:

2:14 PMTrue North
Good point Tim.
Not a lot of vehicles use high test today. Who knows how fresh it is in the big tanks. Maybe I'll ignore the dealers advice and use Stabil treated low octane.

I’m not saying it’s bad or worthless, but I think that stabil, just keeps the gas from rotting as fast and depositing junk in the fuel system. Don’t know one way or another, but my dad would always mix a bit of 2-cycle or Marvel Mystery oil to his lawnmower gas before he parked it for the winter.

My generator runs for 10 minutes every week, and it uses propane, which
does not deteriorate like gasoline.

But no one was discussing your generator.

True North[_2_] February 12th 19 09:06 PM

Quarterly generator run

John H

On 2/12/19 3:19 PM, Tim wrote:

2:14 PMTrue North
Good point Tim.
Not a lot of vehicles use high test today. Who knows how fresh it is in the big tanks. Maybe I'll ignore the dealers advice and use Stabil treated low octane.

I’m not saying it’s bad or worthless, but I think that stabil, just keeps the gas from rotting as fast and depositing junk in the fuel system. Don’t know one way or another, but my dad would always mix a bit of 2-cycle or Marvel Mystery oil to his lawnmower gas before he parked it for the winter.

My generator runs for 10 minutes every week, and it uses propane, which
does not deteriorate like gasoline.

"But no one was discussing your generator."

And there y'all go again. Never missing a chance to ruin a pleasant conversation.
What the 'ell is wrong with y'all?

John H.[_5_] February 12th 19 09:47 PM

Quarterly generator run

John H

On 2/12/19 3:19 PM, Tim wrote:

2:14 PMTrue North
Good point Tim.
Not a lot of vehicles use high test today. Who knows how fresh it is in the big tanks. Maybe I'll ignore the dealers advice and use Stabil treated low octane.

I’m not saying it’s bad or worthless, but I think that stabil, just keeps the gas from rotting as fast and depositing junk in the fuel system. Don’t know one way or another, but my dad would always mix a bit of 2-cycle or Marvel Mystery oil to his lawnmower gas before he parked it for the winter.

My generator runs for 10 minutes every week, and it uses propane, which
does not deteriorate like gasoline.

"But no one was discussing your generator."

And there y'all go again. Never missing a chance to ruin a pleasant conversation.
What the 'ell is wrong with y'all?

Did that ruin it for you? Poor guy.

[email protected] February 12th 19 10:39 PM

Quarterly generator run

On 2/12/19 3:19 PM, Tim wrote:

2:14 PMTrue North
Good point Tim.
Not a lot of vehicles use high test today. Who knows how fresh it is in the big tanks. Maybe I'll ignore the dealers advice and use Stabil treated low octane.

I’m not saying it’s bad or worthless, but I think that stabil, just keeps the gas from rotting as fast and depositing junk in the fuel system. Don’t know one way or another, but my dad would always mix a bit of 2-cycle or Marvel Mystery oil to his lawnmower gas before he parked it for the winter.

My generator runs for 10 minutes every week, and it uses propane, which
does not deteriorate like gasoline.

But no one was discussing your generator.

===

Or propane.

Of course those are the advantages of propane generators: No
deterioration of fuel over time, and the second being no carburetor
clogging.

---
https://www.avg.com