BoatBanter.com

-   -   Quarterly generator run (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/181627-quarterly-generator-run.html)

[email protected] February 13th 19 07:42 PM

Quarterly generator run

On Wed, 13 Feb 2019 18:14:43 -0000 (UTC), Bill
wrote:

John H. wrote:
On Wed, 13 Feb 2019 03:57:49 -0000 (UTC), Bill wrote:

True North wrote:
Put in about three quarters a tank of fresh high test mixed with Stabil.
Running now with a load on it until it stops.
Disappointed it took about 7 or 8 pulls to start. Sounds like the older
models start up on the 2nd pull.

My Yamaha would hardly start last year. Had to dip the carb, to remove all
the gunk from stale gas. And had not been that long since it was run.

How did you 'dip the carb'? One of these?

https://www.harborfreight.com/25-lit...ner-63256.html

I've got a chain saw that has been sitting for a few years.

https://www.amazon.com/Berryman-Prod...a-714363490952

There are cheaper sources. I think I got the last can at Walmart.com.

It is best if you know a guy with a "Hot Tank". Alas the last time I
knew one of those guys was in Maryland. That may be becoming more rare
as carburetors are tending to disappear.
Whatever they had in those tanks would take a gnarly old carb and make
it look brand new. It boiled out everything. A quick shot of air in
all the holes and a kit and it would be as good as new.
Without that I have never had much luck with carbs.
I am real happy I don't have that many in my life anymore and that you
can buy a new one for about what a kit costs. I think it was about
$25-30 for my pressure cleaner and that included a shut off valve that
the original didn't have, a filter and hoses.

Keyser Soze February 13th 19 08:20 PM

Quarterly generator run

True North wrote:
[...]

My dad had a tank "out back" for cleaning outboard parts that were
pretty much burned black with petrol residue and other substances. The
chemical he used was lye. He or his mechanics wore goggles and gloves
when messing with the stuff out behind the shop and I wasn't allowed
back there when this was happening.

[email protected] February 13th 19 09:27 PM

Quarterly generator run

On Wed, 13 Feb 2019 14:42:40 -0500, wrote:

I am real happy I don't have that many in my life anymore and that you
can buy a new one for about what a kit costs.

===

I can tell you haven't bought a carb for a Honda outboard recently.
:-)

I've been thru 3 or 4 carbs on my 20 horse dinghy Honda and I think
the last one was over $300. The good news was that I was able to do
the job myself and save the labor charge.

---
https://www.avg.com

Its Me February 13th 19 10:03 PM

Quarterly generator run

On Wednesday, February 13, 2019 at 4:27:05 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Wed, 13 Feb 2019 14:42:40 -0500, wrote:

I am real happy I don't have that many in my life anymore and that you
can buy a new one for about what a kit costs.

===

I can tell you haven't bought a carb for a Honda outboard recently.
:-)

I've been thru 3 or 4 carbs on my 20 horse dinghy Honda and I think
the last one was over $300. The good news was that I was able to do
the job myself and save the labor charge.

That's crazy. You can buy an Edelbrock 4 barrel carb for just over $300.

https://www.jegs.com/i/Edelbrock/350/1405/10002/-1

But I understand the program. It has "Honda" printed on it, and it goes on a boat. The low pressure fuel pump went out on my Yamaha 250 4 stroke outboard. Over $600 plus the labor later, and she was running again.

B. O. A. T.

John H.[_5_] February 13th 19 10:52 PM

Quarterly generator run

True North wrote:
Put in about three quarters a tank of fresh high test mixed with Stabil.
Running now with a load on it until it stops.
Disappointed it took about 7 or 8 pulls to start. Sounds like the older
models start up on the 2nd pull.

My Yamaha would hardly start last year. Had to dip the carb, to remove all
the gunk from stale gas. And had not been that long since it was run.

How did you 'dip the carb'? One of these?

https://www.harborfreight.com/25-lit...ner-63256.html

I've got a chain saw that has been sitting for a few years.

https://www.amazon.com/Berryman-Prod...a-714363490952

There are cheaper sources. I think I got the last can at Walmart.com.

I'm thinking about one of these:

https://smile.amazon.com/Magnasonic-...ustomerReviews

John H.[_5_] February 13th 19 10:53 PM

Quarterly generator run

True North wrote:
[...]

Maybe one of these? I'm seriously considering it.

https://smile.amazon.com/Magnasonic-...ustomerReviews

John H.[_5_] February 13th 19 11:00 PM

Quarterly generator run

On Wed, 13 Feb 2019 14:03:30 -0800 (PST), Its Me wrote:

[...]

The solenoid for the 150 Yamaha on my Key West cost over $500 - just for the damn solenoid!

Tim fixed me up for about $25. Thank God for big favors!

Bill[_12_] February 14th 19 05:06 AM

Quarterly generator run

True North wrote:
[...]

You have to watch out on those boil out tanks. They will eat aluminum.

[email protected] February 14th 19 06:06 AM

Quarterly generator run

wrote:

I am real happy I don't have that many in my life anymore and that you
can buy a new one for about what a kit costs.

===

I can tell you haven't bought a carb for a Honda outboard recently.
:-)

I've been thru 3 or 4 carbs on my 20 horse dinghy Honda and I think
the last one was over $300. The good news was that I was able to do
the job myself and save the labor charge.

I haven't looked recently but the last time I looked a carb for my
Merc 7.5 was $50 or so.
My question was only if I wanted to give them the $50 or give it to
"Mikey" our outboard wizard. He would trick up everything for that but
I would give him a benny anyway.
I am just not sure why. I don't really have a use for the motor now
I fogged it so it will still be a 2 stroke merc when I am ready.

[email protected] February 14th 19 06:10 AM

Quarterly generator run

True North wrote:
[...]

I still have one of those new in the box but it is not a carb hot tank
or even close.
I am not even sure the lye Harry was talking about is what they used.
I just know in the days when nobody used PPE these guys were scared of
the stuff in that tank