Default New post stuff

On 10/18/2018 7:44 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 18 Oct 2018 17:36:56 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 10/18/2018 5:08 PM, Wayne.B wrote:
On Thu, 18 Oct 2018 12:16:09 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 10/18/2018 10:51 AM, Its Me wrote:
On Thursday, October 18, 2018 at 7:39:52 AM UTC-4, Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 10/18/2018 5:58 AM, John H. wrote:
On Thu, 18 Oct 2018 03:31:30 -0000 (UTC), Bill wrote:

True North wrote:
Mr. Luddite

On 10/17/2018 7:20 PM, Bill wrote:
Wayne.B wrote:
On Wed, 17 Oct 2018 16:54:57 -0400, John H.
wrote:

On Wed, 17 Oct 2018 16:19:33 -0400, "Mr. Luddite" wrote:

On 10/17/2018 1:42 PM, John H. wrote:
A friend told me about this stuff:

Â*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uaIVIUVOyM

Will try it.

I remember my dad using stuff like that back when I was just a kid.
Didn't come in a bag though. Â*He had to glass vials with the
components in it. Â*He used it to put flotation foam on each end
of a canoe and also between the rafters on the underside of a raft
we had in a small lake.

Only thing I noticed in the video is that there cannot be any standing
water in the hole. Â*I seem to remember you commenting that there was
water or the water table was very high or something.

Yeah, like I told Greg - I'm going to let things dry up a bit. Project
is now postponed until next
week. We're going on a camping trip tomorrow.

===

John, I believe you're over thinking this thing. Â*I'd do it pretty
much the way Greg has suggested: Â*Mix up some concrete the usual way
with some sand and gravel; Insert post in ground; Pour concrete around
it. Â*The concrete, being heavier than water, will sink to the bottom
and push the water up until it overflows. Â*Check post for vertical,
open a beer, and come back in a couple of hours. Â*After all it's just
a mailbox, not a structural support for a high rise building. Â*:-)

I would just use gravel. Â*Maybe quarter dust. Â*The small stuff that makes
great pathways. Â*A heck of a lot easier to replace the post when a snowplow
or idiot driver takes it out.

"We call that "stone dust" around here. Â*You're right. Â*It's available in
various colors and looks nice as walkways."

Same as crusher dust?
There's also pea gravel used on walkways. Believe it's a quarter of an inch in diameter.

Pea gravel seems to be round stuff. Stone dust / quarter dust is more
broken rock.

Yup.

Here's an example of a newly installed (by me) walkway that was pea
stone covered by stone dust. It hadn't "packed down" yet but in time
it did and became very hard. It was a walkway that ran from the
driveway along the side of our house leading to the backyard and pool area.

The truck was the F-350 diesel that I had all kinds of problems
with and eventually got rid of it. Nice truck though ... Harley
Davidson edition, all leather and every option. Hated to get rid
of it but the 6.0L diesel Ford used at the time had serious issues.

I had the General Lee for a while, put a new high performance 440ci
engine in it but ended up gifting it to a Army dude who got seriously
injured in Iraq due to an IED that blew up under his HumVee. He
was a "Dukes of Hazard" nut and dreamed of having a car like this.
Made his day (and mine).

http://funkyimg.com/i/2MdAM.jpg

Hemmings article about car:

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/tag/randy-hyatt/

Great picture. It's funny how it just looks like a place that would be cold and snowy in the winter. There's just something about northern homes and landscaping that gives it away to my eye.

It's a shame the guy sold the car. You never know what might have been going on in his life.

I don't know if he sold it or not. Apparently other people, including
the owner of the car museum in Florida who I bought it from became
aware of the story and he removed it from eBay before it sold.
Later, I received an email from a senior person in the military who
was very kind in his words and thanks. That had more meaning to me
than the car.

The way I looked at it, he was married, had two young kids at the time,
was medically discharged from the Army and maybe some extra money became
more important than a goofy car. That's one thing
I've done all my life. No strings attached to gifts. He didn't ask
for the car. I decided to give it to him.

Nice.

Unfortunately all I can think about when I see that car is Jessica
Simpson in her Daisy Duke hot pants. :-)

Never really got into the "modern" version. I still think of
Catherine Bach in the original series. Of course at 64 years
old now she doesn't look quite the same as she did 30 something
years ago.

Did you see the new politically correct version?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHO1...ature=youtu.be

Funny but sad.

*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uaIVIUVOyM

Will try it.

I remember my dad using stuff like that back when I was just a kid.
Didn't come in a bag though. *He had to glass vials with the
components in it. *He used it to put flotation foam on each end
of a canoe and also between the rafters on the underside of a raft
we had in a small lake.

Only thing I noticed in the video is that there cannot be any standing
water in the hole. *I seem to remember you commenting that there was
water or the water table was very high or something.

Yeah, like I told Greg - I'm going to let things dry up a bit. Project
is now postponed until next
week. We're going on a camping trip tomorrow.

===

John, I believe you're over thinking this thing. *I'd do it pretty
much the way Greg has suggested: *Mix up some concrete the usual way
with some sand and gravel; Insert post in ground; Pour concrete around
it. *The concrete, being heavier than water, will sink to the bottom
and push the water up until it overflows. *Check post for vertical,
open a beer, and come back in a couple of hours. *After all it's just
a mailbox, not a structural support for a high rise building. *:-)

I would just use gravel. *Maybe quarter dust. *The small stuff that makes
great pathways. *A heck of a lot easier to replace the post when a snowplow
or idiot driver takes it out.

"We call that "stone dust" around here. *You're right. *It's available in
[...]

Love it.

On Thu, 18 Oct 2018 14:23:32 -0700 (PDT), True North wrote:

Tim says...
"Well Don, you’re right about that. I mistakenly posted a post to the wrong post post. *I’ll have to look up the post in question and repost my post on your post. ??"

I fully understand. John has that effect on people. ;-)

:)

On Thu, 18 Oct 2018 11:30:16 -0700 (PDT), Tim wrote:

Oct 17True North
Tim

True North

Huh?
I was just stating facts and common sense.
John did state that there was water in the hole and the video said there should be no standing water. Others have commented on the same thing.

Well Don, you’re right about that. I mistakenly posted a post to the wrong post post. I’ll have to look up the post in question and repost my post on your post. ??

Tim, you called it as you saw it, and you were right on. But, I understand.

top post/bottom post for Harry Harold[_3_] General 10 July 16th 10 08:23 PM
New Stuff RG General 18 December 19th 09 02:58 PM
New Stuff ????? Bruce In Bangkok Boat Building 0 November 27th 09 11:44 AM
New Stuff Capt. Rob ASA 9 February 4th 06 02:42 AM
The only scum lower than people who post political stuff on rec.boats.... Jerry Steele General 1 December 23rd 03 06:27 AM