Default New post stuff

Tim

True North*

Keyser Soze*

"Crikey, a retired Army "engineer" can't figure out how to set a simple **
mailbox post in the ground...too, too funny."*

The John was complaining there was water in the hole and in the video it says no standing water.*
What could go wrong?*

..............*

"Don, aw cmon man. John’s been nice to you for a couple month I believe. * Why carry this on?"

Huh?
I was just stating facts and common sense.
John did state that there was water in the hole and the video said there should be no standing water. Others have commented on the same thing.

On 10/17/18 6:47 PM, Bill wrote:
Keyser Soze wrote:
On 10/17/18 5:18 PM, Tim wrote:

1:39 PMKeyser Soze
Crikey, a retired Army "engineer" can't figure out how to set a simple
mailbox post in the ground...too, too funny.

Combat engineers don’t plant mailboxes. That’s one of the last things on a sappers mind.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sapper

Well, the Army got the "sap" part right for Herring.

Even a liberal arts grad like me knows how to set a post...

Yup, call up a handyman.

Naw...I do my own post hole digging. Hell, when you fall off your next
roof, I'll even dig a shallow grave for you.

On 10/17/2018 7:20 PM, Bill wrote:
Wayne.B wrote:
On Wed, 17 Oct 2018 16:54:57 -0400, John H.
wrote:

On Wed, 17 Oct 2018 16:19:33 -0400, "Mr. Luddite" wrote:

On 10/17/2018 1:42 PM, John H. wrote:
A friend told me about this stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uaIVIUVOyM

Will try it.

I remember my dad using stuff like that back when I was just a kid.
Didn't come in a bag though. He had to glass vials with the
components in it. He used it to put flotation foam on each end
of a canoe and also between the rafters on the underside of a raft
we had in a small lake.

Only thing I noticed in the video is that there cannot be any standing
water in the hole. I seem to remember you commenting that there was
water or the water table was very high or something.

Yeah, like I told Greg - I'm going to let things dry up a bit. Project
is now postponed until next
week. We're going on a camping trip tomorrow.

===

John, I believe you're over thinking this thing. I'd do it pretty
much the way Greg has suggested: Mix up some concrete the usual way
with some sand and gravel; Insert post in ground; Pour concrete around
it. The concrete, being heavier than water, will sink to the bottom
and push the water up until it overflows. Check post for vertical,
open a beer, and come back in a couple of hours. After all it's just
a mailbox, not a structural support for a high rise building. :-)

I would just use gravel. Maybe quarter dust. The small stuff that makes
great pathways. A heck of a lot easier to replace the post when a snowplow
or idiot driver takes it out.

We call that "stone dust" around here. You're right. It's available in
various colors and looks nice as walkways.
Tim Tim is offline

Keyser Soze
Well, the Army got the "sap" part right for Herring.

Even a liberal arts grad like me knows how to set a post...

But can you disarm a land mine or clear an enemy tunnel?

So now you’re making fun of the French “saper “ from where the word came to combat engineers before WW1. “Shovel or “spade” where the word comes from.

Bad to scoff at brave men who do some of the most dangerous work in the armed service

“ Essayons”. Harry you should try it sometime.

( yes, you can look it up)

On 10/17/18 8:56 PM, Tim wrote:
Keyser Soze
Well, the Army got the "sap" part right for Herring.

Even a liberal arts grad like me knows how to set a post...

But can you disarm a land mine or clear an enemy tunnel?

Why would I want to? I don't encounter either in my wanderings in the 50
states or where I go abroad these days.

Mr. Luddite

wrote:*
*
[...]

===*
*
[...]

Same as crusher dust?
There's also pea gravel used on walkways. Believe it's a quarter of an inch in diameter.

On Wednesday, October 17, 2018 at 8:59:42 PM UTC-4, Keyser Soze wrote:
On 10/17/18 8:56 PM, Tim wrote:
Keyser Soze
Well, the Army got the "sap" part right for Herring.

Even a liberal arts grad like me knows how to set a post...

But can you disarm a land mine or clear an enemy tunnel?

Why would I want to? I don't encounter either in my wanderings in the 50
states or where I go abroad these days.

That's because you are a pussy that breaks his wrist falling down the basement stairs.

Mr. Luddite

wrote:

[...]

I never heard of crusher dust but it's probably the same thing as what
we call "stone dust". Over time it packs down hard and becomes almost
as hard as asphalt. Horses used to walk on it and barely made an
imprint of their shoes.

On Wed, 17 Oct 2018 16:52:22 -0400, John H.
wrote:

On Wed, 17 Oct 2018 14:06:56 -0400, wrote:

On Wed, 17 Oct 2018 13:42:11 -0400, John H.
wrote:

A friend told me about this stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uaIVIUVOyM

Will try it.

I am not sure how that will work out with the water in the hole. It
will just float on top where the concrete sinks and displaces the
water. It does look like an interesting idea in a dry hole tho. It
also gives you an idea of the required compressive strength necessary
to hold a pole,. If styrofoam will do it, I can't imagine any concrete
mix that wouldn't even if it started with the consistency of tomato
soup.
I am also not sure why a can of spray foam would not do the same
thing.

Water has to come out. It's still flowing into the hole at the rate of about a gallon an hour. I'm
just going to let it sit for a few days and hope the water table goes down. Hell, we're on a hill!

The question would be - how many cans of spray foam? This stuff will more than fill the hole for
$9, and I have a few seconds to shift the post if it's not plumb.

There is a bunch of foam in a yellow and red can. The blue can stuff
is limited "foaming". I bet one can would do it. I still say, just
dump the concrete in there, the water will come right out. That pole
in the center had 4' of water in it.

wrote:

On Wed, 17 Oct 2018 16:19:33 -0400, "Mr. Luddite" wrote:

On 10/17/2018 1:42 PM, John H. wrote:
A friend told me about this stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uaIVIUVOyM

Will try it.

I remember my dad using stuff like that back when I was just a kid.
Didn't come in a bag though. He had to glass vials with the
components in it. He used it to put flotation foam on each end
of a canoe and also between the rafters on the underside of a raft
we had in a small lake.

Only thing I noticed in the video is that there cannot be any standing
water in the hole. I seem to remember you commenting that there was
water or the water table was very high or something.

Yeah, like I told Greg - I'm going to let things dry up a bit. Project is now postponed until next
week. We're going on a camping trip tomorrow.

You can always just tamp gravel down in that hole. If you use
irregular crushed stuff and not river rock, Tamp it in is short lifts
and wash some sand in there after it is packed, I am not sure how you
would get the post out. It certainly isn't going anywhere.

top post/bottom post for Harry Harold[_3_] General 10 July 16th 10 08:23 PM
New Stuff RG General 18 December 19th 09 02:58 PM
New Stuff ????? Bruce In Bangkok Boat Building 0 November 27th 09 11:44 AM
New Stuff Capt. Rob ASA 9 February 4th 06 02:42 AM
The only scum lower than people who post political stuff on rec.boats.... Jerry Steele General 1 December 23rd 03 06:27 AM