Default Scituate, MA - Climate Migration

Wayne.B Wrote in message:
On Tue, 7 Aug 2018 06:17:28 -0700 (PDT), Its Me
wrote:

If it's privately owned, then no public money should be used to prop it up. Why should state and federal tax money be used to "save" a bunch of rich people? Some might argue that it's a national treasure, but it's one I can't set foot on.

===

Exactly. It's too bad for the people who live there but it should
come as no surprise to them. Like many other beaches it has probably
been eroding for years. Beaches do that, and the sand that goes
missing ends up somewhere else to build a new beach.

In some ways it's like the people who build or buy a house near an
airport and are then surprised that planes are making noise.

Somehow the houses lost get replaced with bigger fancier ones. The
shoreline residents who "lost everything" seem to come back
better off than before. Maintaining the shoreline is an expensive
proposition. Taxpayers pay for all of it. Like New Orleans, why
keep pouring money into it. Mother nature is going to win this
war eventually.

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

wrote:

If it's privately owned, then no public money should be used to prop it up. Why should state and federal tax money be used to "save" a bunch of rich people? Some might argue that it's a national treasure, but it's one I can't set foot on.

===

Exactly. It's too bad for the people who live there but it should
come as no surprise to them. Like many other beaches it has probably
been eroding for years. Beaches do that, and the sand that goes
missing ends up somewhere else to build a new beach.

In some ways it's like the people who build or buy a house near an
airport and are then surprised that planes are making noise.

We almost bought a house south of Plymouth (near the Cape) that was
built high up on a cliff overlooking the southern part of Cape Cod
Bay. I loved the house, the view and the fact that we would be
able to have a mooring block for the Navigator, although the climb
down the stairs to the the water wasn't something you'd want to do
five times a day.

Anyway, the house sat 60 feet from the edge of the cliff. We started
the paperwork and at one point the realtor handed me a disclosure to
sign. The disclosure (required by law) was related to the erosion
history of the cliffs and indicated that they lost approximately 8
inches a year over the last 40 or 50 years. I divided the
60 feet by 8 inches and determined we'd have 90 years before the
house fell in the ocean. Then I found out that the 8
inches/year was just an average .... some years there was no erosion
but some years with big storms caused over 20 feet of the cliff to
fall away.

Decided my luck wasn't that good and we passed on the house.

wrote:

[...]

The insurance on a house like that has to be staggering. We have some friends that have an ocean-front house here in SC. It was initially an investment that they figured they could pass on to their three kids. While they raised some great kids, none went into a field as lucrative as their father (cardio-vascular surgeon), so they realized the kids just wouldn't be able to afford to keep it. The taxes and insurance bills are just too much.

We just got back from our Maine trip, and one of the stops we made was Kennebunkport. There are some really cool houses there. Rode by the Bush compound both on land and by water (lobsta boat tour). Waved at the Secret Service boat that was out patrolling. Nice guys... they knew we were Republicans.

wrote:

[...]

We've taken a trip to Maine with our little trailer and are thinking of another one through Maine to
Nova Scotia. But, we're also kicking around Yellowstone, Glacier, and Grand Teton NPs. I've done
them by motorcycle (not Glacier) but my wife's not seen any of them.

wrote:

[...]

Nice. So where else did you get to in Maine, and how did you like it?
It's always been one of our favorite places by both car and boat.

On Tue, 07 Aug 2018 06:11:02 -0400, John H.
wrote:

On Mon, 6 Aug 2018 19:25:21 -0400, "Mr. Luddite" wrote:

On 8/6/2018 7:16 PM, John H. wrote:
On Mon, 6 Aug 2018 18:44:52 -0400, "Mr. Luddite" wrote:

On 8/6/2018 5:01 PM, John H. wrote:
On Mon, 06 Aug 2018 15:54:08 -0400, Wayne.B wrote:

On Mon, 06 Aug 2018 15:40:44 -0400, John H.
wrote:

A good video of the problems faced by Scituate, MA, from the nor'easters this past spring.

https://features.weather.com/exodus/...me-every-year/

Much of the problem is blamed on climate change, but the sea level has risen by only 8 inches on
average since 1900. A good article on the problem:

https://insideclimatenews.org/news/1...shment-project

"This year, the town of Scituate, which includes Humarock, proposed building a $9.6 million
artificial dune and raised road to protect the homes.

Yet some residents are prepared to block the project. The town is asking them to sign easements that
would cede property rights along the privately owned beach and allow public access. Whatever
concerns they have about protecting their homes are being overridden by fear of permanently
relinquishing control of their property.

Seems like some folks bring on the problems themselves, but like to blame climate change.

===

Scituate has been hammered more times than my great grand uncle's
blacksmithing anvil. I'm fine with people living on that beach if
that's what they want, but I'm not fine with repeated tax payer bail
outs.

Can't disagree with that! When seen in an overhead view, it appears they're just trying hard to
tempt mother nature.

Don't go pick'in on one of my favorite towns up here (Scituate) :-)

you come upon an interactive map. Check that out. You'll find that
Massachusetts has invested a mere pittance to coastal erosion compared
to all the other states on the east coast, especially Florida. Since
1990 Florida has had major projects on both coasts, from Jacksonville to
Miami and from Cape Coral to Tampa.

Most of the money spent has been from New Jersey and southward and
includes every state from there to Florida.

That's what I mean. They blame 'climate change' but don't want to do the things necessary to protect
themselves.

You mean depend on federal bail out funds?

I was thinking more of these folks who don't want to sign away some property rights so the town can
try to fix the problem.

"This year, the town of Scituate, which includes Humarock, proposed building a $9.6 million
artificial dune and raised road to protect the homes.

Yet some residents are prepared to block the project. The town is asking them to sign easements that
would cede property rights along the privately owned beach and allow public access. Whatever
concerns they have about protecting their homes are being overridden by fear of permanently
relinquishing control of their property."

We have the same fight going on here. The Florida constitution already
says the state owns all of the wet sand, usually defined as anything
seaward of the grass line that forms at high tide. (with very few
exceptions).
People have taken that to also include the sand up to the vegetation
line on beach front properties and most of the beaches on the west
coast have public access points. It is really only over on the east
coast where people want walls and fences to keep the public out. There
are a couple of neighborhoods in Naples that are that way too but they
are geographically isolated.
Those areas also tends to be the same Massholes we are talking about
here. (along with other I-95 people)
My take on the whole thing is, I am OK if you want to own the beach in
front of your house but when it washes away, you pay to fix it ... and
you fight for the permits yourself. Explain to your neighbors why the
government is not going to help them either.

When the city of Ft Myers Beach re nourished their beach, there were a
few hold outs who refused to sign the public access deal. The city
just skipped their property and they had lagoons coming right up to
their yards. That just made the erosion worse for them and it also
brought beach walkers onto their grass. They caved.
I am not really a fan of any beach re nourishment because it is always
going to be a temporary fix at a huge public expense but the only way
I will hold my nose and accept it is if this is a public beach.
Otherwise I don't care if your house floats away and I don't want FEMA
to fix it.
I didn't see any government people here at my house cleaning up after
any of the hurricanes and they are not doing **** to repair the HOA
property erosion, nor mine. In fact the government just makes it
harder for us to do anything about it.

wrote:

[...]

I still think my idea was right after Katrina. They should have
condemned every flooded property, like they would just about any other
place in the US and if they wanted to rebuild, they have to rebuild
using the same FEMA rules we use.
The place we are building on Ft Myers Beach is 16' ASL to the first
floor.
In the case of New Orleans they could have put all of those out of
work people in the rust belt to work loading dirt on barges and raise
the flooded areas of NOLA by 10 or 12 feet. It would be far cheaper
than the money FEMA will spend on the next flood.
That may sound ridiculous but compared to the amount of dirt they have
hauled west to raise Lee County Florida it is a sand box exercise.
The little 150 acre community my wife brought out of the ground hauled
in about 1.5 million yards of dirt, one truck load at a time. The
whole development was lifted over 3 feet, then each house was raised
another ~3 feet above that. That was duplicated hundreds of times
across the county.

wrote:

[...]

It was a short visit, but I had to use some Delta eCredits or lose them. We used Portland as a home base, and did three days of driving tours. Went to Boothbay Harbor on our first short day. We both had a Lobster Roll for lunch. It was a good one with lots of meat, but it was our last. The flavor of the lobster is kind of covered up. I want my lobster with drawn butter, nothing more.

Second day was Kennebunkport. Cool place, we both said we could go back and spend a few days there.

Third day we went to the White Mountain National Forest. Took the scenic drive into Lincoln, NH. Nice day, nice drive.

One day we did swing by Portland Head Light and Ft. Williams Park.

Portland is a pretty cool city. We had a couple of great meals there. The waterfront district strikes me as similar to Charleston, SC. No parking and crowded.

I want to go back to Bar Harbor and Arcadia. Maybe first week of September next year, after school starts back and tourist season is over. We're finishing a complete remodel of our kitchen right now. This will be our last trip until February and destination somewhere warm!

wrote:

[...]

Mt Desert Island, Bar Harbor and Acadia Park are the crown jewel of
the US east coast. We've spent a lot of time there over the years.
September and early October are great times to go.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1025&bih=473&e i=7F5qW5quMNHn5gKz-qhI&q=acadia+national+park

One of the cool things to do at Boothbay Harbor is to take a day trip
out to Monhegan Island. It's a very scenic place with great hiking
trails, very low key, and not at all touristy. When we went I spent a
lot of time on the boat peering into the pilot house window. I was so
impressed with their Furuno radar that I got one just like it for our
trawler.

wrote:

[...]

We had a great whale-watching trip out of Bar Harbor. Saw many whales and had fun identifying them
with the books provided. Love that whole area.

Took a motorcycle trip up there with a friend. Tried to go up Cadillac Mountain, but the rain and
the wind forced us to turn around about half way up.

Scituate justan General 17 March 3rd 18 12:16 PM
Sad event in Scituate Eisboch General 107 September 8th 07 02:14 AM
Slow boat to Scituate Eisboch General 5 June 5th 07 09:20 PM
Huge whale migration. Flying Tadpole ASA 16 September 19th 04 08:55 PM
FS: 2004, 37 foot Egg Harbor SportsYacht in Scituate, MA Richard Eriksson Marketplace 1 May 10th 04 10:43 PM