Default Scituate, MA - Climate Migration

On Tue, 7 Aug 2018 08:17:03 -0600 (MDT), justan wrote:

Wayne.B Wrote in message:
On Tue, 7 Aug 2018 06:17:28 -0700 (PDT), Its Me
wrote:

If it's privately owned, then no public money should be used to prop it up. Why should state and federal tax money be used to "save" a bunch of rich people? Some might argue that it's a national treasure, but it's one I can't set foot on.

===

Exactly. It's too bad for the people who live there but it should
come as no surprise to them. Like many other beaches it has probably
been eroding for years. Beaches do that, and the sand that goes
missing ends up somewhere else to build a new beach.

In some ways it's like the people who build or buy a house near an
airport and are then surprised that planes are making noise.

Somehow the houses lost get replaced with bigger fancier ones. The
shoreline residents who "lost everything" seem to come back
better off than before. Maintaining the shoreline is an expensive
proposition. Taxpayers pay for all of it. Like New Orleans, why
keep pouring money into it. Mother nature is going to win this
war eventually.

I still think my idea was right after Katrina. They should have
condemned every flooded property, like they would just about any other
place in the US and if they wanted to rebuild, they have to rebuild
using the same FEMA rules we use.
The place we are building on Ft Myers Beach is 16' ASL to the first
floor.
In the case of New Orleans they could have put all of those out of
work people in the rust belt to work loading dirt on barges and raise
the flooded areas of NOLA by 10 or 12 feet. It would be far cheaper
than the money FEMA will spend on the next flood.
That may sound ridiculous but compared to the amount of dirt they have
hauled west to raise Lee County Florida it is a sand box exercise.
The little 150 acre community my wife brought out of the ground hauled
in about 1.5 million yards of dirt, one truck load at a time. The
whole development was lifted over 3 feet, then each house was raised
another ~3 feet above that. That was duplicated hundreds of times
across the county.