Default Scituate, MA - Climate Migration

On Wed, 08 Aug 2018 06:23:38 -0400, John H.
wrote:

On Tue, 07 Aug 2018 23:19:25 -0400, Wayne.B wrote:

On Tue, 7 Aug 2018 17:58:00 -0700 (PDT), Its Me
wrote:

On Tuesday, August 7, 2018 at 1:14:51 PM UTC-4, Wayne.B wrote:
On Tue, 7 Aug 2018 09:28:30 -0700 (PDT), Its Me
wrote:

On Tuesday, August 7, 2018 at 10:42:36 AM UTC-4, Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 8/7/2018 9:30 AM, Wayne.B wrote:
On Tue, 7 Aug 2018 06:17:28 -0700 (PDT), Its Me
wrote:

If it's privately owned, then no public money should be used to prop it up. Why should state and federal tax money be used to "save" a bunch of rich people? Some might argue that it's a national treasure, but it's one I can't set foot on.

===

Exactly. It's too bad for the people who live there but it should
come as no surprise to them. Like many other beaches it has probably
been eroding for years. Beaches do that, and the sand that goes
missing ends up somewhere else to build a new beach.

In some ways it's like the people who build or buy a house near an
airport and are then surprised that planes are making noise.

We almost bought a house south of Plymouth (near the Cape) that was
built high up on a cliff overlooking the southern part of Cape Cod
Bay. I loved the house, the view and the fact that we would be
able to have a mooring block for the Navigator, although the climb
down the stairs to the the water wasn't something you'd want to do
five times a day.

Anyway, the house sat 60 feet from the edge of the cliff. We started
the paperwork and at one point the realtor handed me a disclosure to
sign. The disclosure (required by law) was related to the erosion
history of the cliffs and indicated that they lost approximately 8
inches a year over the last 40 or 50 years. I divided the
60 feet by 8 inches and determined we'd have 90 years before the
house fell in the ocean. Then I found out that the 8
inches/year was just an average .... some years there was no erosion
but some years with big storms caused over 20 feet of the cliff to
fall away.

Decided my luck wasn't that good and we passed on the house.

The insurance on a house like that has to be staggering. We have some friends that have an ocean-front house here in SC. It was initially an investment that they figured they could pass on to their three kids. While they raised some great kids, none went into a field as lucrative as their father (cardio-vascular surgeon), so they realized the kids just wouldn't be able to afford to keep it. The taxes and insurance bills are just too much.

We just got back from our Maine trip, and one of the stops we made was Kennebunkport. There are some really cool houses there. Rode by the Bush compound both on land and by water (lobsta boat tour). Waved at the Secret Service boat that was out patrolling. Nice guys... they knew we were Republicans.

===

Nice. So where else did you get to in Maine, and how did you like it?
It's always been one of our favorite places by both car and boat.

It was a short visit, but I had to use some Delta eCredits or lose them. We used Portland as a home base, and did three days of driving tours. Went to Boothbay Harbor on our first short day. We both had a Lobster Roll for lunch. It was a good one with lots of meat, but it was our last. The flavor of the lobster is kind of covered up. I want my lobster with drawn butter, nothing more.

Second day was Kennebunkport. Cool place, we both said we could go back and spend a few days there.

Third day we went to the White Mountain National Forest. Took the scenic drive into Lincoln, NH. Nice day, nice drive.

One day we did swing by Portland Head Light and Ft. Williams Park.

Portland is a pretty cool city. We had a couple of great meals there. The waterfront district strikes me as similar to Charleston, SC. No parking and crowded.

I want to go back to Bar Harbor and Arcadia. Maybe first week of September next year, after school starts back and tourist season is over. We're finishing a complete remodel of our kitchen right now. This will be our last trip until February and destination somewhere warm!

===

Mt Desert Island, Bar Harbor and Acadia Park are the crown jewel of
the US east coast. We've spent a lot of time there over the years.
September and early October are great times to go.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1025&bih=473&e i=7F5qW5quMNHn5gKz-qhI&q=acadia+national+park

One of the cool things to do at Boothbay Harbor is to take a day trip
out to Monhegan Island. It's a very scenic place with great hiking
trails, very low key, and not at all touristy. When we went I spent a
lot of time on the boat peering into the pilot house window. I was so
impressed with their Furuno radar that I got one just like it for our
trawler.

We had a great whale-watching trip out of Bar Harbor. Saw many whales and had fun identifying them
with the books provided. Love that whole area.

Took a motorcycle trip up there with a friend. Tried to go up Cadillac Mountain, but the rain and
the wind forced us to turn around about half way up.

===

Too bad, the view from the top of Cadillac Mountain is spectacular.

wrote:

[...]

We are thinking of a trip to Maine and PEI. When is a good time to go.
Thinking color change time, but are there better times?

wrote:

[...]

We saw it when we went back with the RV. Beautiful. We plan on going back and hitting Nova Scotia
also. Gotta get my wife off the Bluegrass kick for a while!

wrote:

[...]

We went in June, and luckily missed a whole lot of rain. The weather was perfect, but the mosquitos
were horrid. Given where you live, leaves would be nice to see. But, I see enough of the damn things
every year!

wrote:

[...]

We see a lot of color leaves also. In the mountains we have aspens and
locally we have a lot of Blue Gum or Liquid Amber trees.

wrote:

[...]

It depends on your priorities. Warmest weather is typically
mid-August. Mid to late September offers cooler, crisper and leaves
turning.

wrote:

[...]

Perfect cure for anyone stuck on Bluegrass.....
https://celtic-colours.com/

wrote:

[...]

If enjoy them, you'd love Bluegrass. Much of Bluegrass originated with the Irish way back when.
Here's an example with same instruments and very similar method of playing them. They'd fit in at
Gettysburg, that's for sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBF9nuzryPw

They're missing the upright bass, and I don't know where the rhythm beat is coming from, but it's
damn close to Bluegrass.

wrote:

[...]

The rhythm beat in a lot of Celtic music comes from a small hand held
drum called a Bodhran.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMI4X8OOMOg

wrote:

[...]

I believe you're right. Thanks. Those things are probably a lot cheaper than an upright bass also!

Scituate justan General 17 March 3rd 18 12:16 PM
Sad event in Scituate Eisboch General 107 September 8th 07 02:14 AM
Slow boat to Scituate Eisboch General 5 June 5th 07 09:20 PM
Huge whale migration. Flying Tadpole ASA 16 September 19th 04 08:55 PM
FS: 2004, 37 foot Egg Harbor SportsYacht in Scituate, MA Richard Eriksson Marketplace 1 May 10th 04 10:43 PM