BoatBanter.com

-   -   Scituate, MA - Climate Migration (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/179805-scituate-ma-climate-migration.html)

John H.[_5_] August 6th 18 08:40 PM

Scituate, MA - Climate Migration

A good video of the problems faced by Scituate, MA, from the nor'easters this past spring.

https://features.weather.com/exodus/...me-every-year/

Much of the problem is blamed on climate change, but the sea level has risen by only 8 inches on
average since 1900. A good article on the problem:

https://insideclimatenews.org/news/1...shment-project

"This year, the town of Scituate, which includes Humarock, proposed building a $9.6 million
artificial dune and raised road to protect the homes.

Yet some residents are prepared to block the project. The town is asking them to sign easements that
would cede property rights along the privately owned beach and allow public access. Whatever
concerns they have about protecting their homes are being overridden by fear of permanently
relinquishing control of their property.

Seems like some folks bring on the problems themselves, but like to blame climate change.

Wayne.B August 6th 18 08:54 PM

Scituate, MA - Climate Migration

On Mon, 06 Aug 2018 15:40:44 -0400, John H.
wrote:

[...]

===

Scituate has been hammered more times than my great grand uncle's
blacksmithing anvil. I'm fine with people living on that beach if
that's what they want, but I'm not fine with repeated tax payer bail
outs.

John H.[_5_] August 6th 18 10:01 PM

wrote:

[...]

Can't disagree with that! When seen in an overhead view, it appears they're just trying hard to
tempt mother nature.

Mr. Luddite[_4_] August 6th 18 11:44 PM

wrote:

[...]

Don't go pick'in on one of my favorite towns up here (Scituate) :-)

you come upon an interactive map. Check that out. You'll find that
Massachusetts has invested a mere pittance to coastal erosion compared
to all the other states on the east coast, especially Florida. Since
1990 Florida has had major projects on both coasts, from Jacksonville to
Miami and from Cape Coral to Tampa.

Most of the money spent has been from New Jersey and southward and
includes every state from there to Florida.

John H.[_5_] August 7th 18 12:16 AM

wrote:

[...]

That's what I mean. They blame 'climate change' but don't want to do the things necessary to protect
themselves.

Mr. Luddite[_4_] August 7th 18 12:25 AM

wrote:

[...]

You mean depend on federal bail out funds?

John H.[_5_] August 7th 18 11:11 AM

wrote:

[...]

I was thinking more of these folks who don't want to sign away some property rights so the town can
try to fix the problem.

Its Me August 7th 18 02:17 PM

wrote:

[...]

Well, we can't have the poor, unwashed masses on our private beaches now, can we? If it's privately owned, then no public money should be used to prop it up. Why should state and federal tax money be used to "save" a bunch of rich people? Some might argue that it's a national treasure, but it's one I can't set foot on.

Wayne.B August 7th 18 02:30 PM

Scituate, MA - Climate Migration

On Tue, 7 Aug 2018 06:17:28 -0700 (PDT), Its Me
wrote:

If it's privately owned, then no public money should be used to prop it up. Why should state and federal tax money be used to "save" a bunch of rich people? Some might argue that it's a national treasure, but it's one I can't set foot on.

===

Exactly. It's too bad for the people who live there but it should
come as no surprise to them. Like many other beaches it has probably
been eroding for years. Beaches do that, and the sand that goes
missing ends up somewhere else to build a new beach.

In some ways it's like the people who build or buy a house near an
airport and are then surprised that planes are making noise.