Default Sad event in Scituate

While monitoring the marine radio we heard a distress call from a boat just
off the shoreline by the new inlet in Scituate. A scuba diver had become
detached from his flag lanyard and was missing in rough seas. Scituate
harbormaster boats, local Coast Guard, Environmental Police and State Police
assisted by Coast Guard choppers conducted a two day search that was
officially called off today. Local boaters in larger boats also aided in
the search. I attempted to go out in the little Boston Whaler to help but
quickly determined that I'd probably just add to the problem as another
possible casualty due to the sea state we've had up here for the past few
days. (3-5 footers in close chop).

Don't know all the details. Rumor has it that he was diving alone. You
could sense the desperation in the voice of the guy that was running the
boat from which he was diving.

Eisboch

On Mon, 3 Sep 2007 07:58:24 -0400, "Eisboch" wrote:

I attempted to go out in the little Boston Whaler to help but
quickly determined that I'd probably just add to the problem as another
possible casualty due to the sea state we've had up here for the past few
days. (3-5 footers in close chop).

According to Chuck, those don't exist in the North Atlantic. And we
wouldn't be able to properly judge sea state anyway because "most" of
us are bozos with no experience in judging wave action. :)

Only the Manly Men of the Great Pacific North West can properly judge
sea states. :)
HK HK is offline

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
On Mon, 3 Sep 2007 07:58:24 -0400, "Eisboch" wrote:

I attempted to go out in the little Boston Whaler to help but
quickly determined that I'd probably just add to the problem as another
possible casualty due to the sea state we've had up here for the past few
days. (3-5 footers in close chop).

According to Chuck, those don't exist in the North Atlantic. And we
wouldn't be able to properly judge sea state anyway because "most" of
us are bozos with no experience in judging wave action. :)

Only the Manly Men of the Great Pacific North West can properly judge
sea states. :)

Not only that, but you probably don't have the "wave-wind chart" one of
Chuck's commercial sponsors imprints. Without that chart, you couldn't
possibly judge the height of waves and of course there are no wave,
wind, current, tidal or other conditions that might produce variations
not on that chart.

On Mon, 3 Sep 2007 07:58:24 -0400, "Eisboch" wrote:

I attempted to go out in the little Boston Whaler to help but
quickly determined that I'd probably just add to the problem as another
possible casualty due to the sea state we've had up here for the past few
days. (3-5 footers in close chop).

According to Chuck, those don't exist in the North Atlantic. And we
wouldn't be able to properly judge sea state anyway because "most" of
us are bozos with no experience in judging wave action. :)

Only the Manly Men of the Great Pacific North West can properly judge
sea states. :)

Somewhere I have some pictures taken during my Navy days aboard a 318 ft
Destroyer Escort at sea in the North Atlantic in February. If I can find
them and scan them, I'll post the on my website.

Maybe seeing the ship's hurricane bow completely submerged and 25 ft waves
crashing on the fantail will convince him.

Eisboch

HK HK is offline

Eisboch wrote:
[...]

I don't recall Chuckster spending much time out in the ocean, or at
least offering up purple prose about it. Isn't he more of a protected
waters bloater, er, boater?

On Mon, 3 Sep 2007 07:58:24 -0400, "Eisboch" wrote:

I attempted to go out in the little Boston Whaler to help but
quickly determined that I'd probably just add to the problem as another
possible casualty due to the sea state we've had up here for the past few
days. (3-5 footers in close chop).

According to Chuck, those don't exist in the North Atlantic. And we
wouldn't be able to properly judge sea state anyway because "most" of
us are bozos with no experience in judging wave action. :)

Only the Manly Men of the Great Pacific North West can properly judge
sea states. :)

If we don't mention numbers to describe waves, are we allowed to at least
say stuff like "It's really phuqued up out here today!"? Or, "I don't see
how you can read with the boat flyin' around like this." You know - non
professional comments.

"HK" wrote in message
. ..

I don't recall Chuckster spending much time out in the ocean, or at least
offering up purple prose about it. Isn't he more of a protected waters
bloater, er, boater?

I don't know.

I confess, I haven't read many of the posts here for the last couple of
months. With Mrs. E's blessings, I've spent many more hours on the boats
this summer than I have at home and I don't bother with an Internet
connection on them.

Unfortunately, Labor Day is a reminder that the remaining days are numbered,
and the "honey-do" list has now turned into a two book volume.

[...]

Damn shame. There's probably a dozen things they were doing wrong, but it's
still a shame.

In your case it sounded like discretion was the better part of valor.
--
John H

Slow boat to Scituate Eisboch General 5 June 5th 07 09:20 PM
Event write up - Humboldt Bay Paddlefest krueger General 0 October 24th 06 04:01 AM
Paddling Event Set for Garrison Hilliard General 0 July 4th 06 03:49 PM
Paddling Event Set for Garrison Hilliard General 0 July 4th 06 03:49 PM
FS: 2004, 37 foot Egg Harbor SportsYacht in Scituate, MA Richard Eriksson Marketplace 1 May 10th 04 10:43 PM