Default Australia guns

I have an acquaintance who lives in California. She's *very* liberal in
her views which is to be expected, I guess.

She has recently announced that after living in the USA for the last 60+
years, she and her husband are moving to Australia next month to get
away from the USA's "crazy" obsession with guns. Like other liberals,
she has often advocated that the USA adopt the 1997 policy of a buy back
program following the mass shooting in Port Arthur, Australia.

She ignores some real data though. First, Australia does not have
anything like a 2nd Amendment in it's constitution. Gun rights are
controlled by the "states" rather than the federal government.
Secondly, there are more privately owned firearms in Australia today
than there were before 1996. The million guns destroyed after Port
Arthur have been replaced with 1,026,000 new ones.

But, I agree with her about one thing. The culture is different there.
Guns are primarily used for hunting and there's no obsession with copies
of military style semi-automatics.

On Sun, 25 Feb 2018 07:53:09 -0500, "Mr. Luddite" wrote:

[...]

Yup, the culture is different. Apparently they didn't get their fair share of deviants.

Nor did the rest of the civilized world, Johnny!
Y'all seem to intentionally breed deviants.

On Sun, 25 Feb 2018 09:03:07 -0500, John H.
wrote:

[...]

I think they just do a better job of weeding the deviants out. It is
certainly a different culture tho,.

wrote:

[...]

Australia was founded with deviants. So was the USA in some part. The
British transported excess criminals initially to America until the
Revolutionary War and then established colonies in Australia to send
them to.

wrote:

[...]

===

Maybe we'll be able to send them to Mars someday. :-)

---
http://www.avg.com

On 2/25/18 7:53 AM, Mr. Luddite wrote:

I have an acquaintance who lives in California.Â* She's *very* liberal in
her views which is to be expected, I guess.

She has recently announced that after living in the USA for the last 60+
years, she and her husband are moving to Australia next month to get
away from the USA's "crazy" obsession with guns.Â* Like other liberals,
she has often advocated that the USA adopt the 1997 policy of a buy back
program following theÂ* mass shooting in Port Arthur, Australia.

She ignores some real data though. First, Australia does not have
anything like a 2nd Amendment in it's constitution.Â* Gun rights are
controlled by the "states" rather than the federal government. Secondly,
there are more privately owned firearms in Australia today than there
were before 1996. The million guns destroyed after Port Arthur have been
replaced with 1,026,000 new ones.

But, I agree with her about one thing.Â* The culture is different there.
Guns are primarily used for hunting and there's no obsession with copies
of military style semi-automatics.

"Very liberal." Love it. It is the "liberal states" where the atmosphere
is most conducive to innovation technology.

Didn't you make your fortune via innovation technology?

Just about every assessment I've seen says that the leading technology
states in terms of innovation technology and percentages of workers
employed in innovation technology are Massachusetts, California, New
York, and Connecticut.

You think there is a connection between liberal politics and innovation
technology? You think SpaceX is headquartered in California by accident?

I wonder how successful you might have been, business technology wise,
had you started up when you did in Mississippi, South Carolina, or Florida.

On 2/25/2018 9:51 AM, Keyser Soze wrote:
On 2/25/18 7:53 AM, Mr. Luddite wrote:

I have an acquaintance who lives in California.Â* She's *very* liberal
in her views which is to be expected, I guess.

She has recently announced that after living in the USA for the last
60+ years, she and her husband are moving to Australia next month to
get away from the USA's "crazy" obsession with guns.Â* Like other
liberals, she has often advocated that the USA adopt the 1997 policy
of a buy back program following theÂ* mass shooting in Port Arthur,
[...]

I am struggling trying to figure out how your comments relate to the
post I made. It was about her very liberal views regarding guns, not
technology or what I did for a living.

Have you had your morning coffee yet?

On Sunday, February 25, 2018 at 9:58:36 AM UTC-5, Mr. Luddite wrote:
[...]

He tries very hard to be an asshole. Thing is, he really doesn't have to try at all.

The company I work for is an industry leader in our field, and it is acomputer/IP/software centric business. We were started in a small town in SC, and continue to be headquartered here. While large cities in the popular population centers certainly attract young professionals, the trend seems to be moving away from that model and more into a situation like ours. We have no problem attracting and keeping talent.

On 2/25/2018 10:12 AM, Its Me wrote:
[...]

There seems to be a remaining myth that "high tech" industries only
exist in the areas Harry mentioned. Back in the 50's and 60's it was
probably so but "high tech" has expanded or sprung up virtually
everwhere in the USA. Even those states known mostly as being
agricultural in nature have their share of "high tech" companies.

Harry is wrong. I could have just as easily set up shop back in 1989 in
South Carolina or elsewhere. Our largest domestic competitor was located
in Texas and the largest international competitor was located in Germany.

I just happened to live in MA and had kids in school.

Another great one from Australia... JohnH[_3_] General 2 November 15th 08 02:39 AM
Australia update Joe ASA 14 May 15th 07 01:53 PM
Wisconsin: Better than Australia! Bob Crantz ASA 0 May 2nd 07 04:13 PM
Australia Day! Thom Stewart ASA 7 January 28th 04 03:13 AM
Want to go to Australia - Be Gay! Joe ASA 8 December 21st 03 11:01 PM