Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Default Australia guns

I have an acquaintance who lives in California. She's *very* liberal in
her views which is to be expected, I guess.

She has recently announced that after living in the USA for the last 60+
years, she and her husband are moving to Australia next month to get
away from the USA's "crazy" obsession with guns. Like other liberals,
she has often advocated that the USA adopt the 1997 policy of a buy back
program following the mass shooting in Port Arthur, Australia.

She ignores some real data though. First, Australia does not have
anything like a 2nd Amendment in it's constitution. Gun rights are
controlled by the "states" rather than the federal government.
Secondly, there are more privately owned firearms in Australia today
than there were before 1996. The million guns destroyed after Port
Arthur have been replaced with 1,026,000 new ones.

But, I agree with her about one thing. The culture is different there.
Guns are primarily used for hunting and there's no obsession with copies
of military style semi-automatics.

Another great one from Australia... JohnH[_3_] General 2 November 15th 08 02:39 AM
Australia update Joe ASA 14 May 15th 07 01:53 PM
Wisconsin: Better than Australia! Bob Crantz ASA 0 May 2nd 07 04:13 PM
Australia Day! Thom Stewart ASA 7 January 28th 04 03:13 AM
Want to go to Australia - Be Gay! Joe ASA 8 December 21st 03 11:01 PM