Default Ice age by 2050?

On Mon, 12 Feb 2018 19:22:11 -0000 (UTC), Bill

On Mon, 12 Feb 2018 05:08:44 -0800 (PST), Tim
wrote:

Bill
Got the last couple gallons out. Mostly water.

?-

How?d all that get in there anyhow?

===

Yes, that needs to be understood, otherwise it will happen again. It
sounds like it was a lot more than just condensation or ethanol phase
separation.

It could have been a bad fuel purchase, sometimes happens. More often
it's from a leak around the tank fill, possibly correctable with a new
O-ring.

We had something a little more exotic on our last Caribbean trip -
lots of symptoms of something going on, but no show stoppers thanks to
a good set of large Racor water separators. It was getting worse
however so needed to be solved. After doing a number of thought
experiments I figured out that it was likely the fuel cooler on the
return flow to the tank, something unique to large diesels. We had a
mechanic in the BVI pressure test the cooler and that turned out to be
the problem. Blind pig finds acorn on first try. :-)

We still had a lot of water in the port side tank however so had to
pay a fuel polishing service in St Martin to run it through a big
centrifuge: Lots of $$$ for that and about 40 gallons of discarded
fuel/water mixture.

---
http://www.avg.com

The fuel fill is raised a little above the deck, so maybe slowed down water
intrusion. I replaced the tank in about 2002. Had a corrosion hole in
the top. Maybe I need to pull the deck and see if there is a hole. Deck
is screwed down covered plywood. So not a big problem to pull.

If you can plug all the ports, you can get a rough idea of the
integrity with a vacuum on "blow". You will smell the fumes in the
bilge if it is leaking. Trick up a real long hose so the vapor doesn't
get back to the vacuum or you may have a jet engine.
Safer is compressed air but you have to be careful of the pressure.
Tim Tim is offline

On Mon, 12 Feb 2018 10:37:27 -0800 (PST), Tim

On Mon, 12 Feb 2018 13:07:52 -0500, John H.
===

Anything that doesn't kill you makes you wiser. :-)

---
http://www.avg.com

True but in my experiences “Anything that doesn’t kill you, evidently didn’t cause enough tissue damage...”

This is from our guy who goes deer hunting on a motor cycle ;-)

I was right wasn’t I 😉

True North wrote:
On Monday, 12 February 2018 09:20:13 UTC-4, John H wrote:
On Mon, 12 Feb 2018 01:38:55 -0000 (UTC), Bill wrote:

wrote:
On Sun, 11 Feb 2018 22:26:31 -0000 (UTC), Bill
wrote:

Got the last couple gallons out. Mostly water.
It might be worth sacrificing a few gallons of fresh gas to dilute and
flush out any remaining water. Suck that out and recycle it too.
It's a shame you can't find something to do with that gas.

I got a hose into th corner of the tank. Boat is tipped up and at an
angle. Pumped water for a long while and then gas. So I think it got
almost if not all the water out. Only about 30gallons in the drum, so I
may let it sit for a few days and pump,some off the top, and add a little
to the cars once in a while. Local hazardous waste facility only takes it
in 5 gallon containers or 50# max. They will return containers, So
maybe a couple trips. Or a large bonfire.
It is a joke Don.

Sounds like a plan.

Maybe invite the neighbors for a hot dog roast when you have the bonfire? (Another joke, Don!)

Reminds me of an incident as a kid. My grandfather told me to gather and burn a pile of brush in the
orchard. As a 10-year old, I didn't know much about gas. So I got a cupful from the gas tank and
threw it on the brush pile. I then lit a match and threw it on the pile also. WHOOOOM! One loud
explosion which knocked me on my ass. Luckily no other injuries. Taught me my lesson about using gas
to start a fire.

"Maybe invite the neighbors for a hot dog roast when you have the bonfire? (Another joke, Don!" Uh huh! Keep telling yourself that.

Poor quoting. Try again.

wrote:

[...]

I was feeling generous and let it slide. And it didn't make much sense anyway.
Tim Tim is offline

wrote:

Bill
Got the last couple gallons out. Mostly water.

?-

How?d all that get in there anyhow?

===

Good plan.

I was wondering. Instead of a fuel “tank” I was wondering about a collapsible rubber fuel bladder like what’s used on some aircraft? I’m thinking there wouldn’t be room for air and condensation, would there be?

wrote:

Bill
Got the last couple gallons out. Mostly water.

?-

How?d all that get in there anyhow?

===

Good plan.

I was wondering. Instead of a fuel “tank” I was wondering about a collapsible rubber fuel bladder like what’s used on some aircraft? I’m thinking there wouldn’t be room for air and condensation, would there be?

I am not sure you can put a bladder like that under cover in an
enclosed space.
If he determines that the tank is compromised and he has access, I
would just buy a new tank. The plastic ones really seem to work fine
as long as they are ethanol compatible, and most are.
Then corrosion is not an issue. They make them in lots of sizes and
shapes. When I was rebuilding my boat (1989) I found the tank I wanted
and made a fiberglass console to cover it.
http://gfretwell.com/ftp/console.jpg
Bill may have fewer options since he is working with an existing
compartment.
Tim Tim is offline

12:46

wrote:

[...]

You’re right about the plastic tanks. I have a tin bilge tank in my boat but also have an extra 12 gal Mohler red plastic tank I’m adding for a reserve. Mohler makes good stuff but like any of that type plastic, I wouldn’t let it stay exposed to the sunlight for long periods (like all summer) because the dry out and obviously turn orange and get brittle.

12:46

wrote:

[...]

My tank is under the deck, not exposed to sun. A bladder would probably
work. But if it lasts 15 years, probably cheaper to get a new aluminum
tank and maybe out a rubber pad between the floor and tank.

Tim Tim is offline

Bill
My tank is under the deck, not exposed to sun. A bladder would probably
work. But if it lasts 15 years, probably cheaper to get a new aluminum
tank and maybe out a rubber pad between the floor and tank.

Understood

12:46

wrote:

[...]

I agree about being in the sun. I see that here a lot with pontoon
boats. As long as they are enclosed they seem to be fine.

Shakespeare 2050 TV Antenna MV Gizmo Electronics 6 July 10th 06 05:07 PM
1991 Bayliner 2050 Jack General 2 June 10th 05 02:21 AM
FS: Bayliner 2050 Cuddy in Seattle Dean Marketplace 0 March 11th 04 02:49 AM
FS Bayliner 2050 Cuddy in Seattle Dean Marketplace 0 March 11th 04 02:48 AM
FS: 1999 Bayliner 2050 Cuddy 5.0L in Seattle, WA Dean Marketplace 0 March 7th 04 06:07 PM