Default Did you eat your black eyed peas yet?

On Tue, 02 Jan 2018 12:36:54 -0500, John H
wrote:

Don't think it's brought any special good luck though, although that may be what prompted my dog to
turn the corner!

How much good luck do you want? That is great luck.

On Tue, 2 Jan 2018 12:49:25 -0800 (PST), Its Me
wrote:

Don't those instant pots take nearly 20 minutes to come up to pressure to cook, then another 20 to cool back off to relieve pressure? That's what I've read in the reviews.

I have a pressure cooker and it only takes a few minutes to get it
going, depending on how much water you put in and I can dump the
pressure in less than a minute. I do veggies in there sometimes and
the whole process is less than 5 minutes. Get the water boiling before
you put the veggies in, just enough water to make steam and not boil
dry. Dump in the veggies and some seasoning, maybe a little butter,
close it up, the pressure will be up in seconds and cook a minute or
two, then dump the pressure as fast as you can and open it up. They
will still be bright green, still a little crunch but cooked and the
seasoning punches its way inside.
Broccoli takes a little longer than green beans but the process is the
same.

wrote:

[...]

Yeah, I've used a pressure cooker before. These "instant pots" are a different beast.

https://www.ebay.com/i/382324935059?chn=ps

Its Me wrote:
On Tuesday, January 2, 2018 at 10:28:41 AM UTC-5, Keyser Soze wrote:
On 1/2/18 7:47 AM, Tim wrote:
On Tuesday, January 2, 2018 at 12:07:16 AM UTC-6, wrote:
On Mon, 1 Jan 2018 21:03:27 -0800 (PST), Tim
wrote:

Don't blame me for bad luck if you didn't.

I’m screwed then.

What’s the story about black eyed peas?

Just an old southern custom
You eat blackeyed peas for luck, greens for money and carrots for
gold.
I had a double helping of greens and spilled some on my Mega Millions
ticket. ;-)

I ate a giant load of salad at olive garden yesterday. does that count?

We like Olive Garden, too.

I cooked baby back ribs in my *instant pot* last night. Basically, I cut
the rack of ribs in half, put a rub on them, put them in the pot with
some water and onions, and cooked them for 15 minutes. When I took them
out of the pot, I cut them into individual ribs, brushed barbecue sauce
on all sides, and baked them for about 10 minutes.

They really came out tasty, and the meat just fell off the bones. The
instant pots are terrific, especially if you don't want to spend a lot
of time cooking.

I'm going to try a corned beef brisket next. Usually that would take six
to eight hours in the crock pot. Probably use this recipe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FE71b9wXUYI

I can't handle boiling ribs or other meats to tenderize them. When you
take them out of the broth you just made, take a look at that broth. There's your flavor.

Do a souse vide cooking. Bag the beat before boiling.

wrote:

[...]

Damn sure a lot cheaper on Amazon.

https://smile.amazon.com/Instant-Pot...+DUO+Plus+6+Qt

My daughter gave me one for Christmas. Said I'd fall in love with it. I do use the crock pot a lot.
The Instant Pot is also supposed to be a pressure cooker. But, I've not even looked at the book yet,
so we'll see.

Ribs will be cooked on the Traeger. Amen. As will corned beef brisket or plain ol' beef brisket
(which I've not gotten brave enough to try yet.)

wrote:

[...]

I just posted a link to the first one I saw for illustration purposes.

My daughter gave me one for Christmas. Said I'd fall in love with it. I do use the crock pot a lot.
The Instant Pot is also supposed to be a pressure cooker. But, I've not even looked at the book yet,
so we'll see.

I'm sure they are good for some things. I don't have one, my comments were just based on some articles and reviews I've read.

Ribs will be cooked on the Traeger. Amen. As will corned beef brisket or plain ol' beef brisket
(which I've not gotten brave enough to try yet.)

Piece of cake. You prep and start it, then do other things while it's cooking. Check on it every 3-4 hours, or however often your pellet hopper requires. Enjoy!

Oh, don't do a CORNED beef brisket. Way too salty, even if you soak it. Ask me how I know. Plain brisket with plenty of rub.

wrote:

[...]

Good to hear others are using the Instant Pot. We gave one to our youngest son a month or so ago as an apartment warming present. He and his woman moved in together.

wrote:

[...]

So they fight over the beer now?