Default Did you eat your black eyed peas yet?

On Tuesday, January 2, 2018 at 8:59:44 AM UTC-5, John H wrote:
On Mon, 1 Jan 2018 21:03:27 -0800 (PST), Tim wrote:

Don't blame me for bad luck if you didn't.

I’m screwed then.

What’s the story about black eyed peas?

Eat 'em. Lots of 'em. The southerners believe they bring good luck. Yankees believe in pork and
sauerkraut. I believe in both. But, Anasazi beans overrode the black-eyed peas this year.

God made only so many ham hocks for beans, you know.

In the south, I've heard the peas are for pennies and for good luck.

Talking to a guy I work with from New Hampshire, he says they didn't do the sauerkraut thing. They always had Chinese food for New Years. If you didn't have your order in or reservations months in advance, you were out of luck.
Tim Tim is offline

John H

wrote:

Don't blame me for bad luck if you didn't.

I’m screwed then.

What’s the story about black eyed peas?

Just an old southern custom
You eat blackeyed peas for luck, greens for money and carrots for
gold.
I had a double helping of greens and spilled some on my Mega Millions
ticket. ;-)

I ate a giant load of salad at olive garden yesterday. does that count?

Only if you're looking to remain healthy!

That’s worth more than money, but interesting enough, I went to the post office this morning and got $925.00 in checks . Hmmmm 👀

wrote:

Don't blame me for bad luck if you didn't.

I’m screwed then.

What’s the story about black eyed peas?

Just an old southern custom
You eat blackeyed peas for luck, greens for money and carrots for
gold.
I had a double helping of greens and spilled some on my Mega Millions
ticket. ;-)

I ate a giant load of salad at olive garden yesterday. does that count?

We like Olive Garden, too.

I cooked baby back ribs in my *instant pot* last night. Basically, I cut
the rack of ribs in half, put a rub on them, put them in the pot with
some water and onions, and cooked them for 15 minutes. When I took them
out of the pot, I cut them into individual ribs, brushed barbecue sauce
on all sides, and baked them for about 10 minutes.

They really came out tasty, and the meat just fell off the bones. The
instant pots are terrific, especially if you don't want to spend a lot
of time cooking.

I'm going to try a corned beef brisket next. Usually that would take six
to eight hours in the crock pot. Probably use this recipe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FE71b9wXUYI

wrote:

[...]

I can't handle boiling ribs or other meats to tenderize them. When you take them out of the broth you just made, take a look at that broth. There's your flavor.

On Tue, 2 Jan 2018 06:40:58 -0800 (PST), Its Me wrote:

On Tuesday, January 2, 2018 at 8:59:44 AM UTC-5, John H wrote:
On Mon, 1 Jan 2018 21:03:27 -0800 (PST), Tim wrote:

Don't blame me for bad luck if you didn't.

Im screwed then.

Whats the story about black eyed peas?

Eat 'em. Lots of 'em. The southerners believe they bring good luck. Yankees believe in pork and
sauerkraut. I believe in both. But, Anasazi beans overrode the black-eyed peas this year.

God made only so many ham hocks for beans, you know.

In the south, I've heard the peas are for pennies and for good luck.

Talking to a guy I work with from New Hampshire, he says they didn't do the sauerkraut thing. They always had Chinese food for New Years. If you didn't have your order in or reservations months in advance, you were out of luck.

We've been going to a local Chinese place, the House of Dynasty, on New Year's Eve for the past 25
or so years, since we got back from Germany in '92. Reservations have to be made well in advance.

Don't think it's brought any special good luck though, although that may be what prompted my dog to
turn the corner!

wrote:

Don't blame me for bad luck if you didn't.

I’m screwed then.

What’s the story about black eyed peas?

Just an old southern custom
You eat blackeyed peas for luck, greens for money and carrots for
gold.
I had a double helping of greens and spilled some on my Mega Millions
ticket. ;-)

I ate a giant load of salad at olive garden yesterday. does that count?

Only if you're looking to remain healthy!

That’s worth more than money, but interesting enough, I went to the post office this morning and got $925.00 in checks . Hmmmm 👀

You running a pyramid scheme? :-)

Make America great again. Yes we can.
Tim Tim is offline

Its Me
I can't handle boiling ribs or other meats to tenderize them. When you take them out of the broth you just made, take a look at that broth. There's your flavor

Did t know if it’d help but throw in a bullion cube with it...
Tim Tim is offline

Justan Olphart

wrote:

Don't blame me for bad luck if you didn't.

I’m screwed then.

What’s the story about black eyed peas?

Just an old southern custom
You eat blackeyed peas for luck, greens for money and carrots for
gold.
I had a double helping of greens and spilled some on my Mega Millions
ticket. ;-)

I ate a giant load of salad at olive garden yesterday. does that count?

Only if you're looking to remain healthy!

That’s worth more than money, but interesting enough, I went to the post office this morning and got $925.00 in checks . Hmmmm 👀

You running a pyramid scheme? :-)

Make America great again. Yes we can.
Only pyramids I get to make is piles of scrap metals and daily then the time is “dump-thirty” 💩

On 1/2/18 3:06 PM, Tim wrote:
Its Me
I can't handle boiling ribs or other meats to tenderize them. When you take them out of the broth you just made, take a look at that broth. There's your flavor

Did t know if it’d help but throw in a bullion cube with it...

Actually, the pot "steams" the ribs...the pot holds 6 quarts, or 24
cups. A cup or two of water in the boating doesn't actually touch the
ribs, which sit on a rack. The steam breaks down the ribs and cooks
them. I wouldn't bother messing with the grill in this weather...so we
end up with tasty ribs in less than an hour.

On Tuesday, January 2, 2018 at 3:16:35 PM UTC-5, Keyser Soze wrote:
On 1/2/18 3:06 PM, Tim wrote:
Its Me
I can't handle boiling ribs or other meats to tenderize them. When you take them out of the broth you just made, take a look at that broth. There's your flavor

Did t know if it’d help but throw in a bullion cube with it...

Actually, the pot "steams" the ribs...the pot holds 6 quarts, or 24
cups. A cup or two of water in the boating doesn't actually touch the
ribs, which sit on a rack. The steam breaks down the ribs and cooks
them. I wouldn't bother messing with the grill in this weather...so we
end up with tasty ribs in less than an hour.

Steaming, boiling, the action is the same. Hot water, with or without pressure.

In the oven wrapped for a while, then unwrap and sauce, back in to finish. It'll take longer but like you said, in this weather what else is there to do? Beats boiled meat, but to each his own.

Don't those instant pots take nearly 20 minutes to come up to pressure to cook, then another 20 to cool back off to relieve pressure? That's what I've read in the reviews. Now you're at an hour plus prep, and you still haven't sauced or baked them.