Default Consumer Reports Annual Reliability Survey

Keyser Soze wrote:
Wayne.B wrote:
On Sat, 28 Oct 2017 15:20:32 -0400, John H
wrote:

On Sat, 28 Oct 2017 11:31:03 -0400, Wayne.B wrote:

On Sat, 28 Oct 2017 08:22:59 -0400, Keyser Soze
wrote:

On 10/27/17 10:52 PM, Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 10/27/2017 10:17 PM, Wayne.B wrote:
On Fri, 27 Oct 2017 10:03:05 -0700 (PDT), Its Me
wrote:

Toyota and Honda builds good, reliable transportation.Â* I just wish
they weren't so boring to drive.Â*

===

The V6 Honda Accord develops about 290 hp and does 0 to 60 in a bit
over 6 seconds.Â* Nothing boring about that.

Engine efficiencies have come a long way.Â* The Canyon I bought has a V6
rated at 308 hp.Â* It has an 8 speed transmission that I really like a
lot.Â* I rarely accelerate hard but have tried it a couple of times for
kicks.Â* Shifts are quick and positive and the little truck can scoot
right along.

What are you averaging for MPGs? If I drive "rationally," I'm getting
about 23-25 MPG in suburban areas with light traffic and a few
stoplights, and 27-29 MPG on the Interstates if I stay at my typical
60-65 mph. Six-speed manual tranny. Drove wife's Camry 4-cylinder auto
up to Bowie earlier this week, about 30 miles, on U.S. 301, and averaged
37 MPG for light traffic, but plenty of traffic lights, driving. That
sort of MPG will put a smile on my face with a nice-sized four-door
sedan.

===

If you drive 60 to 65 on the interstates you should be arrested for
obstructing traffic. Here in FL 80 to 85 is more like it. Even in
nanny states like NY people are now doing 70 to 75.

When pulling the trailer, I set the speed to about 63. Without it, I'll
set it at 73. On the
interstates. Much easier than trying to beat the herd. Just let them pass me.

===

If you're pulling a trailer and staying in the right lane, that's fine
with me. Jerks like Harree who intentionally clog the passing lane,
not so much.

Never mentioned or implied passing lane, asshole.

Nope, you implied it by both being Harry, and stating you like to block
traffic on a one lane stretch. Block 5 cars on a one lane stretch in
California is a ticket getter.

wrote:

[...]

nice-sized four-door sedan.Â*

I get 20-22 MPG driving around town (no highway driving) under similar
conditions as you described.Â* Haven't taken a long highway trip yet,
so I don't know what kind of mileage it gets.

The V6 and 8 speed transmission in the 2017 Canyon replaces the V6 and
6 speed it used in previous years.Â* It has a little more horsepower
and torque.Â* It's not a new engine or transmission.Â* It has been used
in the Cadillac SUV for a few years.Â* GMC just decided to use it in
the Canyon, probably to up the towing capacity from 6k to 7k lbs.

I thought the Canyon used to have an unreliable 5cyl engine.

I just looked it up. It had a 5cyl in the "Gen 1" versions (up to 2012).

The Gen 2 versions (2012 and up) have options of a gas 4 cyl, a diesel 4
cyl and a 3.6L V6. It used the the LFX version of the V6 up to 2016 and
switched to the LGZ version in 2017 (the one I have). The LGZ is
designed more for truck use, has a little more horsepower and torque
than the LFX version and has a cylinder deactivation feature that makes
it a V4 in certain situations where you have let off on the gas. It's
not even noticeable and I didn't realize it was doing it until I
happened to notice a little display on the info center. Most of the
time it displays "V6" and I got used to that although I thought it was
strange that it was even displaying "V6" to begin with. Then, once in a
while when slowing down I noticed it said "V4". Thought I was seeing
things at first. There is absolutely no sense or feel when it switches
back and forth and at idle it goes back to V6.

wrote:

[...]

sedan.Â*

===

If you drive 60 to 65 on the interstates you should be arrested for
obstructing traffic.Â* Here in FL 80 to 85 is more like it.Â* Even in
nanny states like NY people are now doing 70 to 75.

I drive at the posted limit or usually a few mph below it, if it is
70. I would love having you behind me in your car in a place where you
could not pass...Wayne RoadRage...Â*

If I use the full 420 HP on tap I could pass you in the time it takes
you to sneeze.

It's an age and chapter of life thing Alex. I used to get a kick out of
having lots of horsepower and being able to go fast ... fast. Not
anymore. It has lost it's thrill. Now I am much more focused on what I
am doing and what others are doing.

Funny thing is, the small engines manufacturers use today have plenty of
zip if you want to put your foot into the throttle. The 2016 Altima I
had for a year had a 4 banger rated at 282 hp. I was really surprised
at how well it performed and handled. Granted, it wasn't an Audi or a
Porsche but it also cost about 20 percent of what the Porsche I had cost.

I remember that shortly after I sold the Porsche I impulsively bought a
2009 Ford Mustang "Bullet". I forget what engine it had but it was a
"high performance" version with a 5 speed manual transmission. Again,
it wasn't a Porsche but that damn car was both fast and handled
extremely well. I was sorta blown away because the last Mustang I ever
drove was a 1966 with the 289 V8. There is no comparison. The newer
cars are much, much better.

Senior Member

Location: Michigan

wrote:

[...]

If it's three lane, with a lot of entrances, I'll stay in the middle lane.. Otherwise the right lane.
Very often the folks entering the interstate seem to think they have the right of way. Of course,
they just look at the trailer and think, 'Oh, another rich SOB'. Surprising how much many folks
think a fifth wheel like mine costs.

In Michigan drivers entering the freeway do have the right of way. Thats the way our law is written. In Ohio just to my south it's the opposite freeway traffic has the right of way not merging traffic.

On Sat, 28 Oct 2017 16:43:36 -0400, Wayne.B wrote:

On Sat, 28 Oct 2017 16:22:15 -0400, John H
wrote:

On Sat, 28 Oct 2017 15:26:25 -0400, "Mr. Luddite" wrote:

On 10/28/2017 3:21 PM, John H wrote:
On Sat, 28 Oct 2017 17:46:47 -0000 (UTC), Bill wrote:

wrote:
On Sat, 28 Oct 2017 12:41:51 -0400, Keyser Soze
wrote:

On 10/28/17 12:35 PM, wrote:

wrote:

On 10/27/17 10:52 PM, Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 10/27/2017 10:17 PM, Wayne.B wrote:
On Fri, 27 Oct 2017 10:03:05 -0700 (PDT), Its Me
wrote:

Toyota and Honda builds good, reliable transportation.* I just wish
they weren't so boring to drive.*

===

The V6 Honda Accord develops about 290 hp and does 0 to 60 in a bit
over 6 seconds.* Nothing boring about that.

Engine efficiencies have come a long way.* The Canyon I bought has a V6
rated at 308 hp.* It has an 8 speed transmission that I really like a
lot.* I rarely accelerate hard but have tried it a couple of times for
kicks.* Shifts are quick and positive and the little truck can scoot
[...]

I am glad you stay in maryland

I'll be in Florida in December and in March or April.

Driving slow in the left lane on I-95 with your turn signal on and
little old ladies giving you the finger I guess.
Just be careful around Miami. They shoot at snowbirds who **** up
traffic there.

Here, driving slow in the left lane, even the speed limit gets you an
impeding traffic ticket.

I wish they'd monitor impeding traffic and following too close a lot more.

There's a dilemma. The ones going too slow are causing the others to
follow too close. Everyone gets a ticket. :-)

I think states should have 'traffic enforcement' cops. All they do is write traffic tickets. Pay for
themselves, need little training, etc.

===

Be careful what you ask for... :-)

I'm not much of a law breaker any more. But our interstates, especially I-95 between here and
Richmond, are getting ridiculous.

wrote:

I think states should have 'traffic enforcement' cops. All they do is write traffic tickets. Pay for
themselves, need little training, etc.

Most do. They are called the state police AKA speeder maids.

The FSP got in trouble here for suggesting there was a quota.

In Maryland it was just a fact. The sargent I fished with said they
didn't put up a number, they just told the cops, if you are not seeing
violations, you must be sleeping in your car. They wanted big numbers,
20 a day was not uncommon. Speeding was a revenue stream for them and
they mass produced tickets.

They would have RADAR on the beltway and 20 cops standing in the road
over the next hill waving everyone over and giving them a ticket ...
30 at a time.
That area between New Hampshire avenue and University was famous for
it. They set up the RADAR on the overpass and when you dropped down
into that bowl on the other side west bound, there they were. They
would load up 25 or 30 cars in the median, start writing and let the
traffic start moving again. By the time they were done with them they
had 30 more coming at them at 10+ over. The cops usually had the
tickets already made out except the time and the name of the driver.

The old sarge was so frustrated that he was just running a ticket
factory he was just counting the days until he could retire

I remember that. Haven't seen that trap in a long time.

wrote:

[...]

The problem is they consider it the fast lane. Is actually a passing lane.
Years ago the signs said “keep right, except to pass”. Now they say
slower traffic keep right. Big problem we have here, is the main highway,
I5 is a 70 mph speed limit for cars, but trucks and towing is 55 mph. Is
a sure fire cause of accidents.

We don't have separate limits anymore. I didn't know that some interstates still did. Haven't seen
that for a while. Of course, I've not been in California for a while either.

wrote:

[...]

Ha, I went through the same thing with Mustangs. Had a '66 with the same engine. When the new
'retro' style came out, I had to have one. It was a much better car, much faster, great sound
system, etc, but it was, for me, the most uncomfortable car in the world. I kept it less than a
year. An $8000 mistake.

wrote:

[...]

That would be a great reason to stay out of the right hand lane. Damn, that's scary! I can see some
asshole pulling right in front of me going all of 40 miles an hour. Well, thinking it was
unreasonable, I checked:

According to MCL 257.649(7):

A driver entering a roadway from a roadway that is intended for and constructed as a merging
roadway, and is plainly marked at the intersection with the appropriate merge signs, shall yield the
right-of-way to traffic upon the roadway that is so close as to constitute an immediate hazard and
shall adjust their speed to enable them to merge safely with through traffic.

https://www.michiganautolaw.com/blog...o-the-freeway/

wrote:

[...]

Same with me. Didn't have the Mustang very long. It was fun but it's
not for me.

Consumer Reports John H[_2_] General 0 October 20th 17 10:48 AM
Consumer Reports on the Toyota Tacoma... Poquito Loco General 35 June 11th 16 06:09 AM
Feb issue Consumer Reports Meyer[_2_] General 5 February 17th 13 12:58 PM
A Consumer Reports 'freebie'... JohnH[_3_] General 0 November 23rd 08 01:18 PM
Consumer Reports for boats?? MarshallE Cruising 6 January 2nd 06 08:46 PM