Default Speaking of pellets

On Thu, 26 Oct 2017 06:46:13 -0700 (PDT), Its Me wrote:

On Wednesday, October 25, 2017 at 3:39:47 PM UTC-4, John H wrote:
On Wed, 25 Oct 2017 13:47:38 -0400 (EDT), justan wrote:

John H Wrote in message:
On Wed, 25 Oct 2017 08:19:37 -0700 (PDT), Its Me wrote:

On Wednesday, October 25, 2017 at 10:06:32 AM UTC-4, John H wrote:
On Sun, 22 Oct 2017 18:09:11 -0000 (UTC), Bill wrote:

John H wrote:
I am considering a pellet grill. Looking at Traegers and Cabellas. Anyone
own and used one? Any
advice?

I have a Traeger. Is handy. Great for ribs, triTip, slow cooking. Not as
good for needing high heat grilling. If you want to grill a steak, put it
at the front or the back where the heat comes around the heat shield. I
have a friend, who has a Rectek, I think that is the brand, he likes it
better than the treager and has a great warrantee. Treager also stands
behind their product. My control board went out and they quickly sent a
new one. If you get a pellet grill, cover the heat distribution plate with
aluminum foil. Easy cleanup,

One thing I really like about this one, a Traeger, is that the legs fold up. I would be taking it on
camping trips, so the folding legs are a big advantage.

http://www.traegergrills.com/shop/gr.../TFB30LZB.html

Came across this recipe on the Traeger site for rib steak:

When ready to cook, start the Traeger grill on Smoke with the lid open until the fire is established
(4 to 5 minutes). Preheat, lid closed, for 10-15 minutes.

Combine all ingredients for the rub in a medium bowl and mix well. Season the rib-eyes generously on
both sides with coffee rub. Place the steaks on the grill grate and smoke for 1 hour.

After the steaks have smoked for an hour, momentarily remove the steaks to a platter and set the
temperature of your Traeger to 450 degrees F and preheat. Place a cast iron griddle on the grill
grate to preheat for tomatoes and herbs.

Once the Traeger has preheated put the steaks on the hot grill grates to achieve a good sear.

Flip the steaks once and allow them to cook for about 6 to 8 minutes per side, or until done to your
liking (135 degrees F for medium-rare).

Sounds like it might work, but I wonder what would happen if the 'smoke' cycle was skipped.

Once the meat is seared, the smoke doesn't really "take" anymore. When slow smoking meat, the smoke flavor and the smoke ring all happens in the first part of the cooking process when the meat is "wet". If you cook it first, you won't get much of the smoke flavor.

Something to remember is that pellet grills are light on smoke flavor anyway. Some die-hards that prefer stick-fed smokers don't like them for that reason. I prefer the lighter smoke myself.

If you end up getting one, here are some great pellets to use:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00819OICI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks! Have you ever tried these (at half the price)?

Can any pellets be used in any pellet grill? I'd have thought each maker would require their own. I
suppose that's wrong 'cause I see a lot of different makes of pellets out there.

Bill (if you're watching), does Traeger have any *requirement* for their own pellets? Have you used
other brands?

If you think you might want to smoke while camping you might
consider smoking with your bbq grill.
I tried it yesterday with a rack of ribs and they came out pretty
good. All you need is a metal box and some wood chips.

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

If I get the Traeger, it would replace the gas grill I carry now (Weber Q).

Just in case you missed it, the pellet grill will need 120vAC to function. I don't remember you ever saying that you dry camp, but if you don't have hookups you'll need a generator to run the grill.

Also, it bears repeating that pellet grills aren't very good grills if you want to sear. A few have a searing insert, but it's still a compromise. I kept my gas grill because of that.

Before I do anything, I have to see if it'll fit in the trailer compartment which is used for my
grill. If not, then I'll not get it. Also wondering how easy it will be to lift the 62.bs, sometimes
on my knees, to get it into the compartment.

Bill had the idea of putting a steak at the front of the Traeger. I'm still thinking. But, if I get
one, it'll be the Traeger so I can fold the legs and take it with.

On Thu, 26 Oct 2017 10:46:25 -0400, John H
wrote:

On Thu, 26 Oct 2017 06:46:13 -0700 (PDT), Its Me wrote:

Just in case you missed it, the pellet grill will need 120vAC to function. I don't remember you ever saying that you dry camp, but if you don't have hookups you'll need a generator to run the grill.

Also, it bears repeating that pellet grills aren't very good grills if you want to sear. A few have a searing insert, but it's still a compromise. I kept my gas grill because of that.

Before I do anything, I have to see if it'll fit in the trailer compartment which is used for my
grill. If not, then I'll not get it. Also wondering how easy it will be to lift the 62.bs, sometimes
on my knees, to get it into the compartment.

Bill had the idea of putting a steak at the front of the Traeger. I'm still thinking. But, if I get
one, it'll be the Traeger so I can fold the legs and take it with.

Not actually knowing anything about these grills I decided to RTFM.
The first one I saw was Green Mountain and they say their grill is
running on 12vdc that can be supplied from am AC adapter, a battery or
a cigarette lighter plug. It might be a feature you want to be sure
you get if you are talking this on the road

wrote:

[...]

We very seldom stay in a place without electricity, unless it's a freebie at a Flying-J or
something. In those cases we usually eat in the truck stop or make do with sandwiches.

Thanks for the info though. I looked at the Green Mountain. The tailgater has folding legs,
supposedly, but they don't look very damn strong. And, there's no picture of the grill with the legs
folded.

One nice thing about Traeger is that it's sold by our local Home Depot.

John H wrote:
[...]

Just use bbq pellets. Not heating pellets. I actually like a couple
other brands better than the Treager. I have had a couple of Treager bags
of pellets turn in to sawdust. And we do not have high humidity here like
your area. Tractor Supply had a very nice blend I liked. Just have not
been near to one to buy some more.

wrote:

[...]

Have heard good things about Green Mountain.

wrote:

[...]

I didn't look at the Traegar book but I am sure it is online. They may
actually run on 12vDC too.
I was just curious why it needed power at all and now I understand but
the power requirements seem pretty low.

wrote:

[...]

The Traegers run on 120vAC. The little folding Green Mountain does run on 12v, but the current draw is up to 5amps. No problem with a shorter cook, but a long cook could seriously deplete a battery.

wrote:

[...]

12v would work, but for how long. The threager has a power auger to feed
the pellets, and a fan that distributes the heat.

On Sun, 22 Oct 2017 11:00:14 -0700 (PDT), Its Me wrote:

On Sunday, October 22, 2017 at 12:28:33 PM UTC-4, John H wrote:
I am considering a pellet grill. Looking at Traegers and Cabellas. Anyone own and used one? Any
advice?

Look at Memphis. I have one, and love it.

The controller is important. Some are easy to use and other are a pain. Read some review on the forums, not Amazon. Here's an informative site:

http://amazingribs.com/BBQ_buyers_guide/smokers/pellet_smokers.html

Good luck!

The buyer's guide above shows only three Memphis grills...all big. I'm looking for something I can
put in the front storage compartment on my fifth wheel when camping. Something like this would fit,
I think!

http://tinyurl.com/y9bob88w

John H Wrote in message:
I am considering a pellet grill. Looking at Traegers and Cabellas. Anyone own and used one? Any
advice?

3 foot by 3 foot by a foot and a half at 62 lbs. Is a lot of
overhead for a 300 square inch cooking surface.

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Speaking of the IRS John H[_2_] General 4 June 11th 13 06:05 PM
And speaking of... F.O.A.D. General 10 February 24th 13 07:32 PM
Speaking of... Tom Francis - SWSports General 21 December 10th 08 01:23 PM
Speaking of Put-In-Bay............. JimH[_2_] General 2 August 4th 08 04:44 AM
Speaking of XP... Short Wave Sportfishing[_2_] General 0 April 15th 08 01:25 AM