BoatBanter.com

-   -   Speaking of pellets (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/176479-speaking-pellets.html)

John H[_2_] October 22nd 17 05:28 PM

Speaking of pellets

I am considering a pellet grill. Looking at Traegers and Cabellas. Anyone own and used one? Any
advice?

Its Me October 22nd 17 07:00 PM

Speaking of pellets

On Sunday, October 22, 2017 at 12:28:33 PM UTC-4, John H wrote:
I am considering a pellet grill. Looking at Traegers and Cabellas. Anyone own and used one? Any
advice?

Look at Memphis. I have one, and love it.

The controller is important. Some are easy to use and other are a pain. Read some review on the forums, not Amazon. Here's an informative site:

http://amazingribs.com/BBQ_buyers_guide/smokers/pellet_smokers.html

Good luck!

Bill[_12_] October 22nd 17 07:09 PM

Speaking of pellets

John H wrote:
I am considering a pellet grill. Looking at Traegers and Cabellas. Anyone
own and used one? Any
advice?

I have a Traeger. Is handy. Great for ribs, triTip, slow cooking. Not as
good for needing high heat grilling. If you want to grill a steak, put it
at the front or the back where the heat comes around the heat shield. I
have a friend, who has a Rectek, I think that is the brand, he likes it
better than the treager and has a great warrantee. Treager also stands
behind their product. My control board went out and they quickly sent a
new one. If you get a pellet grill, cover the heat distribution plate with
aluminum foil. Easy cleanup,

Its Me October 24th 17 08:03 PM

Speaking of pellets

On Sunday, October 22, 2017 at 2:09:13 PM UTC-4, Bill wrote:
John H wrote:
I am considering a pellet grill. Looking at Traegers and Cabellas. Anyone
own and used one? Any
advice?

I have a Traeger. Is handy. Great for ribs, triTip, slow cooking. Not as
good for needing high heat grilling. If you want to grill a steak, put it
at the front or the back where the heat comes around the heat shield. I
have a friend, who has a Rectek, I think that is the brand, he likes it
better than the treager and has a great warrantee. Treager also stands
behind their product. My control board went out and they quickly sent a
new one. If you get a pellet grill, cover the heat distribution plate with
aluminum foil. Easy cleanup,

The Memphis has a "direct heat" insert for searing which is supposed to make it make like a grill. It has holes above the burn cup to allow direct heat and flames through. It does work, but I kept my Weber for steaks and burgers/dogs. Sometimes I'll smoke the steak on the pellet grill for 15 minutes at low heat, then sear it to order on the grill. Great smoky flavor and still seared.

Pig Candy is really good on a pellet grill. Also wood fired pizza, and you can do braised meats and some baking on a pellet grill, along with spatchcocked chicken in a large iron skillet. Above smoking temps a pellet grill is a just a wood-fired convection oven.

John H[_2_] October 25th 17 02:00 PM

Speaking of pellets

John H wrote:
[...]

For damn sure won't be doing pig candy. This lack of exercise has me putting on the weight already!

Its Me October 25th 17 02:47 PM

Speaking of pellets

John H wrote:
[...]

I understand. For some reason, I can make a batch and only eat 2-3 pieces. I take the rest in to work for my coworkers, or split it with my wife for her coworkers too.

John H[_2_] October 25th 17 03:06 PM

Speaking of pellets

John H wrote:
I am considering a pellet grill. Looking at Traegers and Cabellas. Anyone
own and used one? Any
advice?

I have a Traeger. Is handy. Great for ribs, triTip, slow cooking. Not as
good for needing high heat grilling. If you want to grill a steak, put it
at the front or the back where the heat comes around the heat shield. I
have a friend, who has a Rectek, I think that is the brand, he likes it
better than the treager and has a great warrantee. Treager also stands
behind their product. My control board went out and they quickly sent a
new one. If you get a pellet grill, cover the heat distribution plate with
aluminum foil. Easy cleanup,

One thing I really like about this one, a Traeger, is that the legs fold up. I would be taking it on
camping trips, so the folding legs are a big advantage.

http://www.traegergrills.com/shop/gr.../TFB30LZB.html

Came across this recipe on the Traeger site for rib steak:

When ready to cook, start the Traeger grill on Smoke with the lid open until the fire is established
(4 to 5 minutes). Preheat, lid closed, for 10-15 minutes.

Combine all ingredients for the rub in a medium bowl and mix well. Season the rib-eyes generously on
both sides with coffee rub. Place the steaks on the grill grate and smoke for 1 hour.

After the steaks have smoked for an hour, momentarily remove the steaks to a platter and set the
temperature of your Traeger to 450 degrees F and preheat. Place a cast iron griddle on the grill
grate to preheat for tomatoes and herbs.

Once the Traeger has preheated put the steaks on the hot grill grates to achieve a good sear.

Flip the steaks once and allow them to cook for about 6 to 8 minutes per side, or until done to your
liking (135 degrees F for medium-rare).

Sounds like it might work, but I wonder what would happen if the 'smoke' cycle was skipped.

Its Me October 25th 17 04:19 PM

Speaking of pellets

John H wrote:
[...]

Once the meat is seared, the smoke doesn't really "take" anymore. When slow smoking meat, the smoke flavor and the smoke ring all happens in the first part of the cooking process when the meat is "wet". If you cook it first, you won't get much of the smoke flavor.

Something to remember is that pellet grills are light on smoke flavor anyway. Some die-hards that prefer stick-fed smokers don't like them for that reason. I prefer the lighter smoke myself.

If you end up getting one, here are some great pellets to use:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00819OICI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1