Default Shooting the SR1911

Took my buddy, Carmen, to the range today to try out the new Ruger SR1911. Carmen started the
shooting and withing three rounds had a stovepipe. He cleared it, chambered another round and had
another stovepipe within a couple rounds. He had three in the first eight rounds fired. He continued
shooting, going through 25 rounds or so, still having stovepipes and the slide not remaining in the
open position when the last round was fired. We tried different magazines and different ammo (we'd
been using the aluminum cased ammo), but nothing seemed to work.

I asked to shoot it, and went through three or four magazines. The gun functioned perfectly! In
fact, I think I was more accurate with it than with the Kimber. Seems like the sight dots are easier
to see on the Ruger. Anyway, I remembered my brother, retired cop, telling me once about his
daughter trying to shoot a new gun and having problems. He blamed 'limp wristing' as he had no
problem shooting the gun. This was a S&W SD9 VE.

I mentioned this to Carmen, he extended his arm a lot more and firmed up his wrist. Lo and behold -
no problem, except that a couple times the slide still wouldn't lock back after the last round. We
then went to loading the magazines with only two rounds just to test the slide lock. It worked for
me 100% of the time, for Carmen about 50% of the time.

So, we deduced that Carmen needs to firm up his wrist. He will bring a wrist brace next week. We'll
see what happens.

But, here's the question. When he shoots the Kimber, he has no problem whatsoever. Could some of
this be due to the Ruger being new and needing 'breaking in'?

On Monday, December 19, 2016 at 4:05:11 PM UTC-5, Poco Loco wrote:
[...]

Could be. Was it disassembled and cleaned? Even a brand-new pistol can have manufacturing "stuff" inside that can cause problem. And I have seen some new stuff that just didn't want to run, and had to be sent back for factory tuning to clear them up.

I picked up a new AeroPrecision M4E1 a few weeks ago. First thing I did was to field strip and clean it, then took it to the range to run a couple of clips through it. Ran like a top.

Its Me wrote:
[...]

My Ithaca 20 feather lite had a small piece of metal from the lathe that I
had to remove on first pheasant trip. Still have no idea where it was
hiding. Had cleaned and shot it at the range before.

Poco Loco wrote:
[...]

The spring is new and firmer so that might have something to do with
it. I've run 400-500 rounds through mine without any problems so it
could be something else. If it doesn't clear up send it back to Ruger.
Their customer service is fantastic.

On Mon, 19 Dec 2016 13:45:23 -0800 (PST), Its Me wrote:

[...]

Yeah, we disassembled and cleaned it before hitting the range this morning.

On Mon, 19 Dec 2016 18:47:30 -0500, Alex wrote:

Poco Loco wrote:
[...]

I may take it to the range and just pump some ammo through it to see if it loosens up a bit. Putting
'slide not locking back after last round' in google gave me some ideas also, or at least some things
to look at. Then we'll try it again. If any problems I'll call Ruger. I'll be sure and tell them I
know Alex. :)

Poco Loco wrote:
[...]

That was made in Prescott, AZ. I don't know anyone there...

Poco Loco wrote:
[...]

Like someone else said, 4-500 rnds thru it will break it in, Also try just 5-6 rnds thru the mag.

Harry knows alot about limp wristing so you might ask his advice.

BTW, Gord made it to Colombia ok, He wasn't impressed with the boat ride over, from what I gather. Email soon.

On Mon, 19 Dec 2016 16:05:21 -0500, Poco Loco
wrote:

[...]

The slide lock is a pretty simple operation, the slide lock is pushed
by the magazine follower. I suppose a limp wrist might prevent the
slide from coming back all the way (slide and your lock failure) but
I don't remember seeing it on a hardball .45
I saw a guy drop one, firing it and it landed on the deck, in battery,
cocked. Nobody freaked because we remembered the grip safety and other
safety features on the Browning design. He didn't get to shoot
anymore. The chief reminded him, if it had gone overboard, he would
be working for free for a while,

Poco Loco wrote:
[...]

Last night, after waking to pee at 3am, one of the myriad of thoughts going through my brain was,
'...wonder how he's doing on the sail boat...'

Glad to hear all is well.