Alex[_10_] Alex[_10_] is offline

Default Shooting the SR1911

Poco Loco wrote:
Took my buddy, Carmen, to the range today to try out the new Ruger SR1911. Carmen started the
shooting and withing three rounds had a stovepipe. He cleared it, chambered another round and had
another stovepipe within a couple rounds. He had three in the first eight rounds fired. He continued
shooting, going through 25 rounds or so, still having stovepipes and the slide not remaining in the
open position when the last round was fired. We tried different magazines and different ammo (we'd
been using the aluminum cased ammo), but nothing seemed to work.

I asked to shoot it, and went through three or four magazines. The gun functioned perfectly! In
fact, I think I was more accurate with it than with the Kimber. Seems like the sight dots are easier
to see on the Ruger. Anyway, I remembered my brother, retired cop, telling me once about his
daughter trying to shoot a new gun and having problems. He blamed 'limp wristing' as he had no
problem shooting the gun. This was a S&W SD9 VE.

I mentioned this to Carmen, he extended his arm a lot more and firmed up his wrist. Lo and behold -
no problem, except that a couple times the slide still wouldn't lock back after the last round. We
then went to loading the magazines with only two rounds just to test the slide lock. It worked for
me 100% of the time, for Carmen about 50% of the time.

So, we deduced that Carmen needs to firm up his wrist. He will bring a wrist brace next week. We'll
see what happens.

But, here's the question. When he shoots the Kimber, he has no problem whatsoever. Could some of
this be due to the Ruger being new and needing 'breaking in'?

The spring is new and firmer so that might have something to do with
it. I've run 400-500 rounds through mine without any problems so it
could be something else. If it doesn't clear up send it back to Ruger.
Their customer service is fantastic.